Smartphone deal roundup - 17 September 2021

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Best smartphone deals in South Africa

If you are looking to buy a smartphone, South African retailers like Takealot, Everyshop, Game, and Incredible Connection are offering discounts on smartphones that cater to a range of budgets.

These discounts are available on brands such as Samsung, Oppo, and Huawei.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
MyBB.

Do you receive any money from Oppo, Huawei or Samsung? Or any of their agents or retailers?

And it you so, should you not disclose it in articles like these?

I think that most of the forum members would agree that these sort of articles are frequently considered undisclosed partner content.

Kodi

Might want to confirm if the Samsung S20FE from takealot is the snapdragon 865 5G variant, or the less stellar exynos version...

Little Mac

Honorary Master
MyBB.

Do you receive any money from Oppo, Huawei or Samsung? Or any of their agents or retailers?

And it you so, should you not disclose it in articles like these?

I think that most of the forum members would agree that these sort of articles are frequently considered undisclosed partner content.
Why on earth would they need to?

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Its good journalistic practice to disclose any conflicts of interests that may affect published content.

Its even law in many countries to do so.
This is SA. Other countries laws don't come into it. Now for the real q - what makes you think this article was paid for?

airborne

Honorary Master
Its good journalistic practice to disclose any conflicts of interests that may affect published content.

Its even law in many countries to do so.
Sadly Mybb doesn't appear to embrace good journalistic practice so them disclosing conflicts probably isn't even on the table.

Crowley

Executive Member
Might want to confirm if the Samsung S20FE from takealot is the snapdragon 865 5G variant, or the less stellar exynos version...
A few more minutes from your battery or a few more FPS in your mobile game depending on the model?

It is like comparing two SSD's. The one boots up in 5 seconds and ther other one in 5.3 seconds. Who actually notices?

Crumbl0x

A few more minutes from your battery or a few more FPS in your mobile game depending on the model?

It is like comparing two SSD's. The one boots up in 5 seconds and ther other one in 5.3 seconds. Who actually notices?
Yeah, and especially these days if I absolutely had to, I'd take the Exynos over it simply due to unlockable bootloaders to prolong their usefulness.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master

It’s actually more like, two SSDs of the same model using different controllers.
If it matters, depends on your use case but there is nothing wrong with being verbose with details especially with the aspect of the article.

Last edited:

Kodi

Given a choice, will you choose a pre-2021 exynos cpu/gpu configuration over a Snapdragon equivalent?

Crowley

Executive Member
Given a choice, will you choose a pre-2021 exynos cpu/gpu configuration over a Snapdragon equivalent?
Obviously not but can one processor do anything the other one can't?

Having the best possible specs on a desktop PC or a server makes sense to me because of the workload. Opening your whatsapp 0.2 seconds faster isn't that important to me.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
This is SA. Other countries laws don't come into it. Now for the real q - what makes you think this article was paid for?
nothing directly, but I have seen the products and retailers mentioned in that list as advertisers on MyBB.

I am not saying it's an undisclosed ad, but it could be that those ad purchasers are influencing the type of content published here.

Conflict of interest disclosure is not only good practice for the reader's interests, it's also good to keep it top of mind for the writing team.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
nothing directly, but I have seen the products and retailers mentioned in that list as advertisers on MyBB.

I am not saying it's an undisclosed ad, but it could be that those ad purchasers are influencing the type of content published here.

Conflict of interest disclosure is not only good practice for the reader's interests, it's also good to keep it top of mind for the writing team.
But what if there's nothing to disclose?