Smartphones to watch in 2011

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Actually, Nokia has Series40, Symbian 9.5 (closed source), Symbian^2 (used in Japan), Symbian^3 (new opensource), Maemo 5 (internet tablets and N900) and MeeGo (along with Intel).

They will never die, because they are not a one pony race like the Apple and BlackBoobies.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Actually, Nokia has Series40, Symbian 9.5 (closed source), Symbian^2 (used in Japan), Symbian^3 (new opensource), Maemo 5 (internet tablets and N900) and MeeGo (along with Intel).

They will never die, because they are not a one pony race like the Apple and BlackBoobies.

When RIM switches to QNX my BlackBooby is gonna kick your K@kias @SS! hehehe

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
When RIM switches to QNX my BlackBooby is gonna kick your K@kias @SS! hehehe

Uhm, it is still a like driving a minibus taxi just so that you can go in the taxi lane. Does not matter if the dashboard is revised and it has LED driving lights - its a taxi and it drives like one.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Uhm, it is still a like driving a minibus taxi just so that you can go in the taxi lane. Does not matter if the dashboard is revised and it has LED driving lights - its a taxi and it drives like one.

Are you of Finnish descent by any chance? *giggles*

Oh and please take the "Roux" out of your nick. I have copy right on it. :)

I dont see MeeGo going anywhere fast. So many of the device manufacturers have already adopted Android and so many people are already devolping for it....MeeGo I think might be a lost cause.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I'm glad you think MeeGo is a lost cause. People have been saying that about Symbian for years now, and Nokia for decades. The reality is the opposite so seeing people predict it going down means it will only go up.

Weird eh? but as they say, history repeats itself.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I'm glad you think MeeGo is a lost cause. People have been saying that about Symbian for years now, and Nokia for decades. The reality is the opposite so seeing people predict it going down means it will only go up.

Sjoe....are all Symbian users so seriaaaas?

As long as you enjoy your phone at the end of the day meneer...that is all that counts. We all have our own personal preferances ne. :)

Lino

I am back

Well people have been saying that about Symbian for years, and wait wait wait Android is taking off.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
All of this seems pretty pointless to me - at least until our cellular data is even vaguely in the right place to support our needs. My SGS comes with 30mb of data per month ffs!

I wish some other companies would establish something like RIM has got going with BIS - it'd make all the difference in the world.

EtienneK

Expert Member
All of this seems pretty pointless to me - at least until our cellular data is even vaguely in the right place to support our needs. My SGS comes with 30mb of data per month ffs!

I wish some other companies would establish something like RIM has got going with BIS - it'd make all the difference in the world.

This! This! A million times THIS!

All these smartphones are totally useless without a decent (and affordable!!!) dataplan.

I had to disable my 3G on my Android this morning, because my data bill from last month was insane. And I switched off most of the synching.

I actually miss my Nokia. It didn't chow data like this.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
See, that's the thing. I love the blackberry for BIS but deep down, it's an ugly and slightly clunky phone.

If my SGS had an unlimited or even high cap plan I'd drop blackberry in a second. As it is, it just sits offline unless I'm in a wifi area - 3G is completely disabled at all times.

Budza

Executive Member
This! This! A million times THIS!

All these smartphones are totally useless without a decent (and affordable!!!) dataplan.

I had to disable my 3G on my Android this morning, because my data bill from last month was insane. And I switched off most of the synching.

I actually miss my Nokia. It didn't chow data like this.

Cheaper/uncapped 3G and lots of free wireless hotspots. All shaped to hell to stop torrents and large downloads killing the connection. Fixed line is for high volume, mobile for convenience.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Yeah - I don't care about downloading torrents on my phone. I'd settle for being able to use the FB app, Layar and all the other things that make the phone rock.

cozinsky

Expert Member
Nokia still clinging to Symbian? Bleh! Why dont they just switch to Android? The only two operating systems I would like to see in the market is Blackberry OS (very excited when they move to Linux QNX) and Android. The rest must just die a fast and painless death! :)

You forgot about the most important one, iOS. By far the best mobile operating system. But I agree that symbian and windows mobile should just die out.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
iOS is awesome, I love the way it supports mass storage mode and gives me total access to store and manage content on my phone. Or wait, it does not.

It boggles the mind that some people use their cellular network to provide them with data? Whats wrong with WiFi ?

Lino

I am back
iOS is awesome, I love the way it supports mass storage mode and gives me total access to store and manage content on my phone. Or wait, it does not.

It boggles the mind that some people use their cellular network to provide them with data? Whats wrong with WiFi ?

Yes thats because we all sit in coffee shops all day with unlimited wifi. Not like any of us go to non wifi zones

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Nothing is wrong with Wifi - it's just not available absolutely everywhere :) The cellular network has much higher coverage so it would be the logical choice if there were adequate options.

Shayd

Expert Member
See, that's the thing. I love the blackberry for BIS but deep down, it's an ugly and slightly clunky phone.

If my SGS had an unlimited or even high cap plan I'd drop blackberry in a second. As it is, it just sits offline unless I'm in a wifi area - 3G is completely disabled at all times.

The Cell C SGS Special comes with 250MB data and 220 minutes pm for R440....should be enough.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Werl, I already have a Vodacom contract (which I've had for a couple years) so I'll have to stick with it but IMO 250mb is not nearly enough for all the applications that could be running. Perhaps I could get a little portable 3G AP and use Cell C data but that's quite a lot of effort for something that should be available.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Yes thats because we all sit in coffee shops all day with unlimited wifi. Not like any of us go to non wifi zones

Sorry, I forgot that not everyone is employed and uses uncapped at home. How arrogant of me :sick: