Smokers - how you coping with the lockdown?

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Maybe these guys think the ban only applies to South Africans /shrug
Unfortunately ...... thats almost the truth ..... it only applies to South Africans who cant find a willing seller.

The rest of the world where smokes are readily available has implemented a thing called "social distancing", - its like the thing smokers were asked to do before the COVID event, but now everyone has to do it, except in South Africa the smokers cant social distance and smoke ....... too complex to multi task maybe?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I dunno hey - I wanted to quit for many years, with numerous failed attempts before I managed to. Certainly the majority of those people I spent time smoking with all expressed some desire to "one day" stop smoking.

I guess it might be slightly different for everyone though.
Then you never really wanted to quit, you just had a desire to.

If a smoker wants to quit, they will attempt to.

It's hard to find a silver lining when the decision is made for you. That will have the opposite effect, because now something has been taken from you rather than you giving it up willingly...

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Increased susceptibility of contracting the virus when smoking. (Hands in close proximity to lips).
Christ you should see the amount of peanuts people are eating now. Smokers forced to quit can't stop touching their faces.

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
Christ you should see the amount of peanuts people are eating now. Smokers forced to quit can't stop touching their faces.
This is 100% true, like 150% true. There is no medical justification when you consider all variables and consequences of banning cigarette sales to combat COVID-19.

newklear

R20 for these apparently they used to be R10 so you must know what kak they are . But any port in a storm .

View attachment 826751
That's an example of what is happening in the black market. Cigarettes are still getting sold, some higher costs than others but minus the excise duty fee. I had to remind one of these dealers recently when initially requesting R450/carton. Seems those that do sell/supply are raising prices.

The questions to answer: What do You want, How badly do You want it ? How are You going to get it ?

I like to smoke because it is part my daily routine and function. Also goes great with a morning coffee during the awakening thought processes. Luckily not a heavy smoker and usually puff around 10/day, can go up to 2 boxes in a night if Lit in the right atmosphere ;) I don't want to quit smoking, but have thought about growing and harvesting my own tobacco for personal use. Where can I get Tobacco seeds or do I have to wait until restrictions ease up ?

I don't want cigarettes that badly but do quite enjoy my current lifestyle and routine. I am healthy and stay active and more than likely fitter than most. I do suffer withdrawals from nicotine if I go a day or two without. I do admit though, lately, the harder I exercise, the less I smoke. Moderation is key though so try and keep a balance of not exercising too much. I did buy the fruit flavoured Nicorettes chewing gum, it's pricey but you get a lot of chewing gum. Just chewed so much of it though, my jaw is sore.

I asked around and spoke to people. There is always someone that knows of someone. If getting it is a problem, then as above, try balance with a bit of exercise or other form of distraction/routine change. Think routine is a big play as it forms part of our day to day habits so try change something to help cope. I feel for the heavy smokers *strongs*.

Asgard85

Then you never really wanted to quit, you just had a desire to.

If a smoker wants to quit, they will attempt to.

It's hard to find a silver lining when the decision is made for you. That will have the opposite effect, because now something has been taken from you rather than you giving it up willingly...
Which is my point exactly in my first post. "How are you coping?" was the question. I merely tried to highlight the possibility of taking control of your own perception by specifically addressing the notion that something is being denied vs already being on a road to a positive even if it may not seem like it.
Hard to find a silver lining, yes. Impossible - only if you decide so.

MrR

Expert Member
Thanks for all the laughs.

There were a number of news outlets that iterated that point some weeks ago and they got it from the WHO.

Smokers are likely to be more vulnerable to COVID-19 as the act of smoking means that fingers (and possibly contaminated cigarettes) are in contact with lips which increases the possibility of transmission of virus from hand to mouth. Smokers may also already have lung disease or reduced lung capacity which would greatly increase risk of serious illness.

Smoking products such as water pipes often involve the sharing of mouth pieces and hoses, which could facilitate the transmission of COVID-19 in communal and social settings.

Conditions that increase oxygen needs or reduce the ability of the body to use it properly will put patients at higher risk of serious lung conditions such as pneumonia.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Thanks for all the laughs.

There were a number of news outlets that iterated that point some weeks ago and they got it from the WHO.

There's no question that smoking makes you worse off when catching respiratory disease. :rolleyes: Your oxygen intake is reduced so when the pneumonia kicks in a smoker has a worse chance of surviving.

No that you feel all smart and stuff.

Where is the evidence to support forcing people to quit within the provided timeframe has any valuable improvement on respiratory health?

This improvement needs to outweigh the following:

* Addicts searching for illegal tobacco retailers increasing their chances of catching and spreading covid-19.
* Additional tax income lost by the government.
* Nicotine withdrawal affecting immune response to cater with dopamine and ephedrine shortage.

flippakitten

Expert Member
I don’t smoke any more, but apart from cost my smoker friends have no issues. The “alternative” market is flourishing. Apparently, you’ll find them wherever you used to find weed. R70 per pack seems to be the going price around my area. Vape juice, I have no idea.
More than half the price of one box in UK :laugh:

Groen92

Increased susceptibility of contracting the virus when smoking. (Hands in close proximity to lips).
Okay ... but then they should ban chips and cookies too, I don't see people eating those with tweezers to avoid touching their mouths?

Jase

Executive Member
Well well, so I ran out of Heets about a week and a half ago, and those buggers are impossible to find even on the black market. Going back to normal smokes just isn't an option at all, my body just reacts in revulsion at the thought of having a drag.

My wife got desperate and ordered some black market Dunhills and she's having them now but I've had the strength to not touch them. Fingers crossed that holds up.

Overall coping fine with the withdrawl but miss the ritual and schedule of it. All the other smoker masekinders will understand.
The wifey also ran out of Heets and has turned back to ciggys. :confused:

epah

Expert Member
Been smoking Sharp coz that’s all they have, tastes like ply wood but what can I do at this point. Price for a box is also up to R60

Packetstorm

I have used salvaged stompies, some pipe tobacco I had, but never really used prior to lockdown and now on to nicotine chewing gum. I have been tempted to drive around and find a illicit shop selling cigarettes, but have resisted the urge. I know this though, this is the best chance at kicking the habit.
Where can one buy this chewing gum?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Went out today for the weekly shopping. The queue at Dischem was 500 m long = 250 people - did not bother.
At PnP Wednesday is pensioners day. The queue was quite short at 11:00. The fascinating part was all the grey-headed people in the queue who had somehow laid their hands on cigarettes ( Presumably some of them ventured into Mamelodi). Then I saw how it was done. An old guy was the runner. He walked along with the queue handing over packs of cigarettes. Congratulations to the Govt. You have turned old people into drug smugglers!

Last edited:

JayM

Expert Member
Today is day 7 and tbh I haven't really felt any cravings. On every occasion I've stopped before, I've had terrible insomnia for at least 3 weeks, but not this time.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Today is day 7 and tbh I haven't really felt any cravings. On every occasion I've stopped before, I've had terrible insomnia for at least 3 weeks, but not this time.
I hear you,

I gave up cold turkey some time ago.
After the 7th day, the wife's black eye that got on day 3 was looking remarkably better, thats after I told the folks next door to make like Rokkoff and f....... just kidding.

No, but seriously, I gave it up a few months back.
Easier when your mind is gear for quitting, when you have the option to pop out to the shop and get a pack ..... should you need it. Its also easier when you are working, minds busy on something else - no kids to wind you up, less idle time to sit and reflect while you smoke yourself into a coma.....

Still feel like a twak everyday ........ but know that should I get run over by a bus tomorrow, I will be grumpy as sh t but healthy.

So yeah, kudos to you guys :)