Smokoo may become illegal gambling says DTI

milomak

Honorary Master
they've had a good run. fair play to them for feeding on people's stupidity.

Veyron

Still doesn't make it illegal.
You have more chance of winning a product on a pennyauction site than winning the lotto yet how many people play into the lotto ;)

You clearly ether work for them or your a agent. I doubt that the Lotto use bots to buy Lotto tickets, the Lotto company is Audited, as for the Penny sites that use BOTS!, TAKE THESE SITES DOWN NOW!!!! BEFORE THEY RUN BACK TO THE COUNTRY THE CAME FROM.

Skulz

You clearly ether work for them or your a agent. I doubt that the Lotto use bots to buy Lotto tickets, the Lotto company is Audited, as for the Penny sites that use BOTS!, TAKE THESE SITES DOWN NOW!!!! BEFORE THEY RUN BACK TO THE COUNTRY THE CAME FROM.

For your info - I ran yourbid.co.za

I can 100% honestly say no bots were used on my site.

I can also 100% honestly say the software which smokoo uses doesn't even have the bot functionality.

So before you make yourself look like a fool, you should rethink what you say before clicking "Post Quick Reply" ;)

efons

Life is a Game... This is a Game... Now as to weather its a scam.. Most penny auctions site are... However why not publish all the winners names and with a contact list for the lawers to randomly call and find out if they won the prize... setup a team to check,, this will protect the industry.... 90% of all competions are scams.. So check them out... before you put the bucks in.... No I do not play lotto or any penny auction.. I ride a superbike... lol (Just joking ok)

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
As someone said on page 1 - then the government should ban MTN and VODACOMS draws..

newsflash. they did. ;)

You have more chance of winning a product on a pennyauction site than winning the lotto yet how many people play into the lotto ;)

sorry, this is logic fail. if the lottery only gave out R5000 perhaps you may have a point.

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
Life is a Game... This is a Game... Now as to weather its a scam.. Most penny auctions site are... However why not publish all the winners names and with a contact list for the lawers to randomly call and find out if they won the prize... setup a team to check,, this will protect the industry.... 90% of all competions are scams.. So check them out... before you put the bucks in.... No I do not play lotto or any penny auction.. I ride a superbike... lol (Just joking ok)

correct. don't advertise it as an auction if it isn't. make it a form of gambling and allow it to be regulated and independently audited.

HideInLight

Expert Member
Its about bloody time.

+1
Smokoo is just as dangerous if not more so than other forms of gambling. The outcome is the same, so it should be treated the same. Already witnessed quite a few "people" loosing up to R7000 on one bid.

Beri

Expert Member
I have seen people paying more that double for somthing on this site. Now they must be stupid or they are not using their own money.
If you play and loose it is your own fault. Read the manual.
But i have played and to many times the clock whent to 00 for up to 7 seconds and then add 10 seconds. They explain it as milliseconds. I say bull S
Skulz it was a good idea but google a bit and you will see how many people had problems with your site

Veyron

Here is an example of the problem your users had:
On the 11th of november 2010 i won an auction for a PS3 Slim console, but then the next day they sent me an email stating that during the auction process they had problems with their server and aparently 95% of their users could not log in. but they did not close the auction wen experiencing server problems which gives no reason to not give me my PS3.

i argued about the fact that they can not do this and they sent me an email concerning 1 of their terms and conditions ;
'8.7. Yourbid shall be entitled to cancel a scheduled auction. The user will be notified by email or the social networking site of the cancellation of the schedule auction.'
But the auction has already ended and have notified me that i have won the PS3

This is the email sent to me straight after i had won the auction ;
You have won the following auction on [Hidden Web Address]

Auction data
------------------------------------
Title: Sony Playstation 3 Slim Console 120Gb (2bids)
Description: In The Box* PS3 120Gb Game system* DualShock 3 Con...

Your bid: 0.07 ZAR
Auction End Date: 11, 2010 - 18:00
URL: [Hidden Web Address] Web Address]item.php?id=1162

Source:
http://www.hellopeter.com/yourbidcoza-complaint-[484130]

rudivdw

FINALLY!!! I'm so sick and tired of seeing stupid smokoo ads everywhere I browse! Close them down, and fine them too!!

swim

Expert Member
Still doesn't make it illegal.

As someone said on page 1 - then the government should ban MTN and VODACOMS draws..

Just so side track abit

You bloody agent go away

roligov

I can also 100% honestly say the software which smokoo uses doesn't even have the bot functionality

Actually smokoo is pretty much a clone of the international swoopo.com. They all have bots for testing purposes. How are you supposed to test the penny auction software without having your own bots. The functionality is there in almost all Penny Auction software available. You can you use those same bots when your site is live, nothing in the code stops you. I've seen the back end side of things in the admin portal.

Smokoo said they would be audited in a few weeks by a third party, Price Water House Coopers, and looky looky still no audit in place...No bots my ass :whistling:

swim

Expert Member
Actually smokoo is pretty much a clone of the international swoopo.com. They all have bots for testing purposes. How are you supposed to test the penny auction software without having your own bots. The functionality is there in almost all Penny Auction software available. You can you use those same bots when your site is live, nothing in the code stops you. I've seen the back end side of things in the admin portal.

Smokoo said they would be audited in a few weeks by a third party, Price Water House Coopers, and looky looky still no audit in place...No bots my ass :whistling:

get 100 people to ping the site with /t and see what happens

marine1

Honorary Master
I hope these guys get charged with fraud.
Failing to notify people of them using bots is surely illegal?

acidrain

Executive Member
Its funny. Second time smokoo has been on mybb and they still don't respond. Guess he knows he is doing somethng below the board
K

william riker

i spent R450 on smokoo to try them out today and i didn't win a single thing..
i went in with eyes open...just wanted to see the hype...its very addictive if you are not careful.

even those guys getting ipads for 700 bucks still have to spend a couple thousand on the credits for the actual bidding...yes, whoever wins still gets it at a lower price but your competitors also spent thousands for the credits to bid and all of that is gone when they lose.