Smokoo may become illegal gambling says DTI

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
I knew this would happen and am glad it did. Smokoo's immoral activities will soon be at an end.

Saeros

I actually just realised. I know Skulz in real life. The funny thing is his buddy, a friend of mine, won most of the stuff (Including the PS3 dispute) that was auctioned on yourbid.co.za. This post is not to defame you guys and no hard feelings. But to let EVERYONE know that these sites are dodgy and are scams. Come Sean/Skulz, there are better and more legitimate ways to earn money on the internet then this. Stop backing up smokoo :).

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
Shut the scammers down!

Its not really a scam as they tell the truth except for the fact they don't call it what it is - gambling plain and simple. Its not an auction.
There is some skill involved (like when to enter the fray and when to pull out)
But surely anyone can see that?
Surely those that are playing (assuming they are adults) are playing and not really participating in an auction.

The rules are there for all to see. I read them, saw the automated bidders, did the maths in my head and decided not to to play.

If they said - "It is a gamble" then it would be honest.

As for shutting them down I suppose online gambling is against the law these days (well mostly)
BUT - I don't believe online gambling should be against the law. It obviously needs to be regulated and thats where smookoo are escaping.

Skulz

Clarity

Firstly, I don't get paid anything from smokoo as I said.. they were my competitor.

Secondly, that problem that is listed on hellopeter has been resolved and it was atually a stupid complain on behalf of that guy.

Thirdly, Stop knit picking at penny auctions.

If you want to play 'Entertainment Auctioning' then do so, if you don't want to stand a chance at winning something for a better price then by all means don't play it.

By bidding you're simply standing a chance at winning something, if you get outbidded then unlucky.

???

Skulz

I have seen people paying more that double for somthing on this site. Now they must be stupid or they are not using their own money.
If you play and loose it is your own fault. Read the manual.
But i have played and to many times the clock whent to 00 for up to 7 seconds and then add 10 seconds. They explain it as milliseconds. I say bull S
Skulz it was a good idea but google a bit and you will see how many people had problems with your site

When we first opened we had a couple problems which will obviously happen. The users who did complain about us still sided with us and said they'd be patient.

We invested hours a day to implement changes to our software and by doing so our site was 100% perfect afterwards.

Tjorriemorrie

Confused

I'm getting confused:

According to the DTI, since penny-auction would fall under gambling regulations it would also result in them being classified as interactive gambling, making them illegal.

In the linked article the following was said:
However, South Africa's National Gambling Board (NGB) disagrees with this interpretation.

A member of the NGB confirmed that they have received enquiries regarding Smokoo and that it was found that penny auctions were not gambling.

Is the DTI just making noise of something that will not be classified as gambling? If the NGB already investigated it, why is there still concern regarding this? Surely if there's a law, then use that technical jargon instead of 'it feels like gambling'...

Skulz

I'm getting confused:

Is the DTI just making noise of something that will not be classified as gambling? If the NGB already investigated it, why is there still concern regarding this? Surely if there's a law, then use that technical jargon instead of 'it feels like gambling'...

Probably just a means of advertising ;)

Skulz

so what happened to your site?

It's alot of work to run and all the directors of the site including myself don't have much time on our hands so we are evaluating and a decision with the site will be made soon.

milomak

Honorary Master
I'm getting confused:

If you read the article you will see
The South African Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) has confirmed that the regulations, in their current draft form, would prevent penny-auctions from being considered as auctions at all.

milomak

Honorary Master
It's alot of work to run and all the directors of the site including myself don't have much time on our hands so we are evaluating and a decision with the site will be made soon.

that thing should be a money printing exercise if you are getting the proper traffic

Skulz

So if you get outbidded by a BOT you are unlucky ?

i never mentioned the use of bots in any of my replies?

Read the begging of this thread and what I had to say :)

Not too sure where you get this assumption - If you feel there are bots then don't play?

Tjorriemorrie

If you read the article you will see

If you read my post you will see I'm not mentioning anything about it not being an auction. Only regarding it being gambling. The DTI says it's gambling, but NGB already investigated and said it's not. What's up with the DTI doing that?

Regarding your reference:
If the regulation regarding auctioning passes, then surely the sites will just adopt with penny-'auction-like' bidding and then say it isn't auctioning - thereby bypassing legal constraints. Because if everybody rants that it isn't auctioning, won't it then actually count in their favour when it comes to regulation enforcement?