SMS is a tax on the poor: Righ2Know Campaign

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
SMS is a tax on the poor: Righ2Know

Poor South Africans pay more for telecommunications services than the wealthy do, researchers and activists told attendees of a recent Right2Know event.

I'm sure that Koos Bekker also pays relatively less for his cell phone sub than I do. So what should we do? Charge according to salary, or wealth? What of equality then?

And why is it that government owned Telkom could not build cheap landlines for poor people?

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
The rich don't pay tax...

Haha. The rich also pay tax. And whose fault is it that the govt treats rich tax dodgers better than poor tax dodgers?

And BTW "rich" in SA context means previously advantaged in certain SA contexts, or middle class in other SA contexts.

adrianx

Expert Member
So, put pressure on the mobile companies to reduce the cost of SMSes instead of trying to make people who don't live in shacks feel guilty.

Last edited:

Wasabee!

Executive Member
The reason the poor pay more is because the rich can afford to avoid paying standard mobile network charges for SMS and voice services in favour of data-based services such as WhatsApp and Skype.

Maybe the poor can clean toilets (instead of vandalising them) and get a R4000/month job or so to buy a R500 smartphone. Heck even Nokia's have mxit which you don't need a smartphone for.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Poor South Africans pay more for telecommunications services than the wealthy do, researchers and activists told attendees of a recent Right2Know event.

Aggg sies shame ..... now they can fek off and build their own wealth, seeing as the so called wealthy are funding Nkandla.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I think all these studies and reports seriously underestimate the technological sophistication of your average poor shack dweller. Both my gardener and domestic worker have Android smartphones, they both use Whatsapp and Facebook and Gmail, and they know exactly what a data bundle is and how to minimise their monthly cellphone spend. From what they tell me, a lot of township residents regularly use the internet on their smartphones.

furpile

Expert Member
This article is BS. They are saying that SMS is poor people tax because they cannot use Whatsapp? Many feature phones have Whatsapp now, and they only cost a few hundred Rand. This is definitely within reach of most cellphone owners. There is nothing stopping anybody from using data based services. And it is only because of "rich"people that data (and sms's and voice calls) are as cheap as they are now.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
This article is BS. They are saying that SMS is poor people tax because they cannot use Whatsapp? Many feature phones have Whatsapp now, and they only cost a few hundred Rand. This is definitely within reach of most cellphone owners. There is nothing stopping anybody from using data based services. And it is only because of "rich"people that data (and sms's and voice calls) are as cheap as they are now.

It's retard logic regardless. There is no reason why someone who cannot afford to use SMS"es should use them. Just don't use them. Duh. If this was oxygen, or basic foods or water we were talking about....

Richer people can also buy groceries in bulk. Is that a tax on poor people too?

Johand

Expert Member
My domestic worker has been communicating via Whatsapp for a while now. Yes, mobile rates needs to go down - but heck - SA innovated a lot to make sure that poor people actually do have ACCESS to cellphones. SIM cards are essentially free to the poor (contract holders normally pay R100 or so), phones are not network locked and prepaid airtime distriibution can almost put Coca Cola's logistics to shame.