Snap: smartphones give dedicated digital cameras a run for their money

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Snap: smartphones give dedicated digital cameras a run for their money

Apple’s recent offering of new tech toys includes the latest iPhone – available in stores from Friday – and it boasts some mighty camera power.

Looking at the 12-megapixel (MP) still image size and 4K video in the iPhone 6S, we need to wonder if this is the only camera/video recorder you’ll ever need? In fact, how long will we continue to call these digital pocket-size computers “smartphones”, since the ability to use them as a phone seems less important that other functions?

But can a smartphone camera outsmart the more traditional digital single-lens reflex (DSLR) or the mirrorless cameras favoured by enthusiasts and professional photographers?

The new iPhone is getting plenty of reviews this week, but let’s take a deeper a look at what Apple is offering in the camera department.

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member
I got as far as the image showing that a lower resolution sensor crops the image :/

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Agreed. Never used a dedicated camera in years. Smartphone does the job. In fact I cant remember when last I say a person using a normal camera to take family pics.

Rip Canon/Nikon camera.

Ewie

Looking at the sensor

the Iphone 6 = 17.30 (mm2)

Against a mirroless / dslr aPS-C of 368–370 (mm2)

The MP is meaningless.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
[XC] Oj101;16163630 said:
I got as far as the image showing that a lower resolution sensor crops the image :/
Yeah - that was kinda :wtf:
Agreed. Never used a dedicated camera in years. Smartphone does the job. In fact I cant remember when last I say a person using a normal camera to take family pics.

Rip Canon/Nikon camera.
It does a job but it's pretty limiting artistically.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
A current phone camera can never replace a standalone camera. The bits of glass in front of the sensor make the difference. It's called a lens...

Last edited:

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member

Rip Canon/Nikon camera.
There are so many things a dedicated camera is better at doing an a phone.. A phone is fine for someone taking the odd snapshot or selfie, but that's about it. Tracking AF, decent OIS, long reach, shallow DOF, dual memory cards for redundancy, hotshoe or PC sync port for flash or trigger, high ISO performance, battery life, durability...

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
A current phone camera can never replace a standalone camera. The bits of glass in front of the sensor make the difference. It's called a lens...
For some it has replaced a standalone camera, mostly because people are willing, and able, to compromise. The top five cameras used by Flickr members are all mobile phones.
[XC] Oj101;16172810 said:
There are so many things a dedicated camera is better at doing an a phone.. A phone is fine for someone taking the odd snapshot or selfie, but that's about it. Tracking AF, decent OIS, long reach, shallow DOF, dual memory cards for redundancy, hotshoe or PC sync port for flash or trigger, high ISO performance, battery life, durability...
Most of those are largely irrelevant to the average person taking photos these days.

acidrain

Executive Member
Except a cellphone falls very short when it comes to:
1. Night shots or limited lighting conditions
2. Analogue Zoom.

Unless they can solve the above, digital camera's will never die.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Lenses are NB to me too, although I would not say never. ATM the reason phones are so popular is because of convenience.

Unless they can solve the above, digital camera's will never die.
Digital camera's what? //runs

Voicy

Honorary Master
My canon powershot S120 goes everywhere with me from the highest mountain tops to shark diving at -40m. Battery power is also simply not comparable.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
My Coolpix S3300 is just laying here... think I should give it to mom for her bday.

acidrain

Executive Member
I think you mean optical zoom?
Yup, I'm just use to analogue being the opposite of digital although there are blogs online that can be found referring to analogue zoom instead of optical so it's not wrong but less appropriate/common.

Last edited:

Lindiswa

Expert Member
professional photographers should continue using the cameras the use and we will continue using what we use hahahah :D