SnapScan positive in face of strong competition from Apple and Samsung

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
SnapScan positive in face of strong competition from Apple and Samsung

SnapScan is not too concerned about potential competition in the mobile payments space from global smartphone giants, following the launch of Samsung Pay in South Africa.

“We are very excited about Samsung Pay launching in South Africa together with Standard Bank, because it is part of the journey to moving more customers to the convenience of paying with their smartphones,” SnapScan told MyBroadband.

krycor

Honorary Master
If Apple Pay was present, that’s what I’d use. Snapscan/Zapper use cases are getting limited with more prevalent Chinese POS hardware which has 3G/LTE built it for cheap.

saor

Honorary Master
Does Samsung Pay also use a QR code to scan?

Snapscan feels like it's everywhere - have never needed to use Zapper or anything else. I also use snapscan to buy electricity as FNB often doesn't work.

sa-rab

Snap Scan, Zapper and Samsung Pay are all the same but really none of them have taken off. Until a player comes along that is certified by all the banks and can be used on the majority of smart phones they all will remain the second choice. A bit like BBM until Whats App came along. We have seen it time and time again proprietary software/hardware does not work, a good example was IBM in the 90's, and more recently Black Berry.

saor

Honorary Master
Snap Scan, Zapper and Samsung Pay are all the same but really none of them have taken off.
Not sure what you mean. Snapscan is all over cape town. Not at big retails stores but lots of smaller shops, restaurants, coffee shops, markets etc. I use it nearly every day.

sa-rab

Not sure what you mean. Snapscan is all over cape town. Not at big retails stores but lots of smaller shops, restaurants, coffee shops, markets etc. I use it nearly every day.
Your answer is in your question "not in all retail stores" Until a system is adopted like the universal card machine it will have a issue.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I'm enjoying the new Nedbank app that allows you to scan Snapscan, Zapper (and Master pass fwiw) codes.

Don't need to remember those three PINs any longer - fingerprint reader ftw

Would really like Apple Pay.

airborne

Honorary Master
I have been trying to use my Masterpass app to pay in shops but I have yet to find one that supports it.
What do retailers need from Mastercard/Visa to be able to accept payments using their Visa checkout/Masterpass apps?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
If Apple Pay was present, that’s what I’d use. Snapscan/Zapper use cases are getting limited with more prevalent Chinese POS hardware which has 3G/LTE built it for cheap.
Just a pity the Chinese don't put NFC chips in their phones.
I'm enjoying the new Nedbank app that allows you to scan Snapscan, Zapper (and Master pass fwiw) codes.

Don't need to remember those three PINs any longer - fingerprint reader ftw

Would really like Apple Pay.
Yeah it's great. Love the Capitec masterpass app.

krycor

Honorary Master
Just a pity the Chinese don't put NFC chips in their phones.
Yah.. different audience. Remember QR code payments came from China (both ways, ie scan user code too) to use for population with limited value smart phones.

The POS stuff needs to conform with international standards hence the support.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Your answer is in your question "not in all retail stores" Until a system is adopted like the universal card machine it will have a issue.
Snapscan and Zapper is used in environments were card machines are not readily available. I use it all the time myself in Cape Town. Markets, fairs, restaurants, paying doctor's bills etc.

It has no relevance in retail stores...it isn't a replacment for Debit or Credit Cards. It is a filler app.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Snapscan feels like it's everywhere - have never needed to use Zapper or anything else. I also use snapscan to buy electricity as FNB often doesn't work.
Where do you buy electricity with SnapScan?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Snap Scan, Zapper and Samsung Pay are all the same but really none of them have taken off. Until a player comes along that is certified by all the banks and can be used on the majority of smart phones they all will remain the second choice. A bit like BBM until Whats App came along. We have seen it time and time again proprietary software/hardware does not work, a good example was IBM in the 90's, and more recently Black Berry.
Second choice to what exactly?

And if you are going to say card machines...then you failed to see the purpose of Snapscan and Zapper in the very first place.

Liam_Selby

MyBroadband Intern
I have been trying to use my Masterpass app to pay in shops but I have yet to find one that supports it.
What do retailers need from Mastercard/Visa to be able to accept payments using their Visa checkout/Masterpass apps?
As near as I can tell, the business would just need to contact Masterpass or head to the website and sign up for the service to use it.

More information here for businesses: https://masterpass.com/en-us/business.html

So, it is up to the retailer to sign up for the service in order to use it.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member

No. Your phone mimmicks your card. It uses the NFC chip but the merchant must have the appropriate hardware. A lot of PnP's have it now as well as a good few larger retail stores.

whatwhat

Executive Member
My Asia credit cards all support by Apple Pay, so I use that everywhere in the world.

What people forget about these apps like SnapScan/Zapper and the like is the data mining that happens on what you purchase, where you go, what you spend, etc. The back offices on these (and the way the products are sold to companies) are where the really money is made.
Making payments easier for the consumer is just the hook.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
No. Your phone mimmicks your card. It uses the NFC chip but the merchant must have the appropriate hardware. A lot of PnP's have it now as well as a good few larger retail stores.
Which makes it useless for paying bills etc.