So give me your best pork belly recipe

Napalm

Expert Member
Where can one buy a good Sous Vide circulator (water heating circulator) in Cape Town or JHB. <not the slow cooker pot style one, the one where you put the circulator into a thick plastic container>

akescpt

Honorary Master
I tried this recipe yesterday. It is the best pork belly I have ever made and the most successful crackling I've ever had the pleasure of preparing. This is definitely my new go to pork belly recipe. An absolute won and can highly recommend.

Unfortunately, since I was entertaining, I failed to take pics :(
Did you use the tahini or did you substitute anything for it?

cerebus

Honorary Master
Ideally just want what I have on hand. Like ‘normal’. Cumin. Paprika. Wife doesn’t like nuts and in her food. Would have loved to have done the Apple version in the thread.
Oh. Yeah. I'm...not like that at all.

Quad

Did you use the tahini or did you substitute anything for it?
I used tahini. A few shops around me stock it. I wouldn't substitute anything for it. It just works with this recipe.

maumau

Honorary Master
I used tahini. A few shops around me stock it. I wouldn't substitute anything for it. It just works with this recipe.
Tahini should be available at most supermarkets/food stores.

Napalm

Expert Member
i never had a sous vide steak before... i seen videos.. and apparently it's good.

The sous vide sticks (or circulators) they seem to be all very similar.. some is just 750w or 800w or 1200w or 1500w . That seems to be relevant to the size of the container.. 10-15liter tubs for 800watt. 1200w for 20liter tubs. and i guess 1500w is for big 22-30liter containers.

I guess the 800w would also be able to do the same... as the 1500w. Might just take longer to heat that amount of water

I've yet to try it... i bought one now in the week. i'll try it out the weekend.