So I just bought my first Android phone.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Actually I got a Galaxy Ace back in January when I upgraded but I sold it straight away. I only took it since it was the best phone I could get for free and at R135 per month I now have about 14 months for free since the phone sold for R2000.

Anyways, been using a Nokia C6-01 since December and it has received a lot of abuse. It is still working and has no scratches on the screen but the casing is badly worn and I normally only keep a phone for a year or less. Bought a "slightly used" Galaxy S1 for R1.6k and should be getting it later this week. Anything cool I can do with it to get the most from it? What is the latest firmware for it and should I do stuff like Cyanogen Mod or things like that?

Now would be a good time for Android fanboys to give me so nifty tips :cool:

Toitjie

Expert Member
Ask for a refund and atleast get an S2 :p

Other than that, Yes get a decent AOKP or ASOP rom on right away!

Crowley

Executive Member
You have 2 choices with regards to the OS.

ICS - Android's current mainstream OS. Everything is working
JB - Android's latest and greatest BUT there may be some things that are not working since it is a leaked rom.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
So Cyanogenmod 9 is a no-no then? How hard is it to flash these custom mods? I have only done something similar before on a Nokia 5800 with JAF.

With regards to an S2, if I saw one for less than R2k I would have gone for it :cool:

Ecco

Executive Member
Actually I got a Galaxy Ace back in January when I upgraded but I sold it straight away. I only took it since it was the best phone I could get for free and at R135 per month I now have about 14 months for free since the phone sold for R2000.

Anyways, been using a Nokia C6-01 since December and it has received a lot of abuse. It is still working and has no scratches on the screen but the casing is badly worn and I normally only keep a phone for a year or less. Bought a "slightly used" Galaxy S1 for R1.6k and should be getting it later this week. Anything cool I can do with it to get the most from it? What is the latest firmware for it and should I do stuff like Cyanogen Mod or things like that?

Now would be a good time for Android fanboys to give me so nifty tips :cool:

Galaxy S(1) was not a good android phone. My colleague had one, really didnt like it compared to my HTC Desire.

I am not sure you going to like it either. Good thing you looking at a custom rom. Should definitely make a difference.

Toitjie

Expert Member
So Cyanogenmod 9 is a no-no then? How hard is it to flash these custom mods? I have only done something similar before on a Nokia 5800 with JAF.

With regards to an S2, if I saw one for less than R2k I would have gone for it :cool:

CM9 is great... CM10 is the beta one :p

AFAIK CM is an AOSP rom

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
Go here: http://www.slimroms.net/

They have released an -epic- Jelly Bean ROM for the galaxy S, and I can confirm that all features on the phone except for the FM radio work 100%.

Instructions should be on the site, or else PM me for assistance.

rorz0r

Executive Member
I'm sure you'll have fun, but please don't go and "judge" android based on that phone. Even with my desire on ICS and my S2 on jellybean it's a completely different experience.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
If you want to install any applications, first do install AVG Free for Android.

It won't stop most of the pox (eg windows viruses), but it's a good start if you want to protect yourself.

Crowley

Executive Member

It won't stop most of the pox (eg windows viruses), but it's a good start if you want to protect yourself.

AVG, Avast or Lookout.

K

kingrob

Really? How do you actually know if AVG Free works at all?

If you use your brain, you won't need AVG (which will just be a CPU, RAM and data hog).

You are running Linux on your phone, FFS!

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master

If you use your brain, you won't need AVG (which will just be a CPU, RAM and data hog).

I know, but there are a lot of dodgy applications out there. You don't really want to download something (either by accident or whatever) which'll turn your phone into a spamming zombie (and which you'll battle to remove) by the way?

Grimspoon

Executive Member
I am assuming if you stick to the play store, you shouldn't need any AV on your phone?

K

kingrob

I am assuming if you stick to the play store, you shouldn't need any AV on your phone?

Correct.

Same goes for iPhones or Windows Phones, as soon as you "jailbreak" it, or install custom ROMS, you are on your own.

Don't come crying if your phone is sending all your text messages, etc. to some Russian syndicate, who blackmails you after reading a few steamy sms'es. :)

If a malicious app was installed on your phone via the Play Store, Google will just uninstall the app from your phone remotely.

Park@82

Honorary Master
The S1 really is dated. I think you should be able to find a second hand S2 for 2k? The s2 has much more to offer and will get the Jelly bean update from what I heard.
S1= single core CPU; No flash light; less ram; old version of Android.

Anyway this might help you to find some useful apps http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/397329-Android-useful-app-catalogue
TBH I haven't updated that thread for a while now but most should be relevant still.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I'm sure you'll have fun, but please don't go and "judge" android based on that phone. Even with my desire on ICS and my S2 on jellybean it's a completely different experience.
Don't worry, I play around on my wife's Desire S quite a lot so I have an idea of what is out there. Thus far Android has been OK - not mind blowing, just good.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master

If you lazy like me you use App Brain add detector (turn off live view) and check it once in a while to see what apps does what exactly, instead of using your brain.

Also if you do not feel like running an AV at least get a standalone anti-theft on the device, well unless you do not care about it getting lost.