So I'm thinking of buying Guitar Hero

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I've been checking out Guitar Hero video, reviews, forums and screenshots out the pas couple of weeks and I'm thinking of buying it on the 25th. I'm not really into that kind of music but some of the songs do appeal to me and rhythm games have always been something I liked.

I'm looking at the Xbox Guitar Hero World Tour - Guitar + Game bundle. I would have actually prefered GH3 bundle but (due to its price) since it's discontinued I guess GHWT will be fine.

I'll be honest here... I've never played GH before. I hope the game comes with some good tutorials to help me get the feel of it. I'm pretty good with keeping rhythm and timing (since I compose dance tracks) but there seems to be lots of technical stuff in GH. I just hope I'll be able to unlock all the tracks in easy/medium mode.

Well what do you guys think...Will GHWT be fine for someone who hasn't played any GH title yet?

jacoh

I've been checking out Guitar Hero video, reviews, forums and screenshots out the pas couple of weeks and I'm thinking of buying it on the 25th. I'm not really into that kind of music but some of the songs do appeal to me and rhythm games have always been something I liked.

I'm looking at the Xbox Guitar Hero World Tour - Guitar + Game bundle. I would have actually prefered GH3 bundle but (due to its price) since it's discontinued I guess GHWT will be fine.

I'll be honest here... I've never played GH before. I hope the game comes with some good tutorials to help me get the feel of it. I'm pretty good with keeping rhythm and timing (since I compose dance tracks) but there seems to be lots of technical stuff in GH. I just hope I'll be able to unlock all the tracks in easy/medium mode.

Well what do you guys think...Will GHWT be fine for someone who hasn't played any GH title yet?

I got GH3 on PS3. When it was released I thought it was a load of ****. But after playing it, well lets say it can be addictive. Just wish you can get more free download songs in SA. Multiplayer is also great fun, if you don't have 2 guitars one can use the controller. It's also not to difficult they show you every thing when you start. Don't know about GHWT, but I think it shouldn't be to difficult. I would recommend getting the game and trying it out.

Dean

Expert Member
"Guitar Hero" ...sounds like rubbish....

But since the moment I picked up those drum sticks for World Tour, I've been completely hooked.

Drums + 2 Guitars (1 as Lead, 1 as Bass) - siiiick :D

Dovi

Expert Member
You think it's going to be nonsense, but you get hooked after 10 minutes.

thisgeek

Expert Member
GH is awesome.

Got hooked in GH3, and then my wife bought me the GHWT full band bundle for our anniversary :p

Best thing to do is to play with a bunch of mates while you're enjoying some beers & braai. :)

Azimuth-1

Heh, when I first saw GH2 come out here, I thought it was the most absurd thing I'd ever seen and that, as a guitarist, I'd never deign to play some ****ty pretend-guitar game on pretend-guitars.

Now I own GH2, GH3, GHWT, GH:Metallica, Rock Band, Rock Band 2, Rock Band: AC/DC Live, and 3 GB of DLC. It's kind of addictive.

Last edited:

diabolus

Executive Member
Guitar Hero is great fun, but for me it's all about the actual music. I was fortunate enough to get my Xbox with GH2,GH3,GH3:Aerosmith and GH:WT . The only one i ended up playing constantly was World Tour...purely because it had modern music on it...i.e. Linkin Park,Foo Fighters etc

GH2/3 i think was focused on 70s-80s rock which did not really grab me, and well if you don't actually love Aerosmith, then that particular GH is also a bust...

So i'd say get the -latest- instruments with the latest bundle you can [World Tour is a good bet], and then check out wikipedia for the songlists of each GH to determine which one you're most likely to enjoy. The games in the series itself don't really change that much, it's only the songs...

Yes you can buy additonal songs via Xbox Live, but it's usually for a specific GH version [and usually the latest one] and it costs Microsoft Points which us South Africans need to jump through hoops to get...

Last edited:

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I own GH2, GH3, GHWT, GH:Metallica, Rock Band, Rock Band 2, Rock Band: AC/DC Live, and 3 GB of DLC. It's kind of addictive.

:eek:

Guitar Hero is great fun, but for me it's all about the actual music. I was fortunate enough to get my Xbox with GH2,GH3,GH3:Aerosmith and GH:WT . The only one i ended up playing constantly was World Tour...purely because it had modern music on it...i.e. Linkin Park,Foo Fighters etc

GH2/3 i think was focused on 70s-80s rock which did not really grab me, and well if you don't actually love Aerosmith, then that particular GH is also a bust...

So i'd say get the -latest- instruments with the latest bundle you can [World Tour is a good bet], and then check out wikipedia for the songlists of each GH to determine which one you're most likely to enjoy. The games in the series itself don't really change that much, it's only the songs...

Yes you can buy additional songs via Xbox Live, but it's usually for a specific GH version [and usually the latest one] and it costs Microsoft Points which us South Africans need to jump through hoops to get...

Yeah I decided on going the GHWT route and I might pick up GH: Greatest Hits (since I never played the older ones) and GH5 when it comes out. The only thing that concerns me is that I've read about people experience problems with the peripherals. Are these guitar controllers really that problematic? Stuck/broken fret buttons, faulty touch pads etc.?

diabolus

Executive Member
:eek:

Yeah I decided on going the GHWT route and I might pick up GH: Greatest Hits (since I never played the older ones) and GH5 when it comes out. The only thing that concerns me is that I've read about people experience problems with the peripherals. Are these guitar controllers really that problematic? Stuck/broken fret buttons, faulty touch pads etc.?

Well i've had my World Tour guitar for awhile now, no problems at all. I guess it doesn't help if you jump around and hit the speakers with your guitar [and all those antics rockstars pull]. I generally sit and play it like i would play any other game, but i have bumped my guitar a few times if i get a little carried away with the song ;) I'm sure people are more "active" with this game in particular, hence the guitar and drums being placed under alot more "pressure"...

i.e. look at this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtOk8SArC58

Eventually something's gotta give ;)

Last edited:

thisgeek

Expert Member
My drums broke a week after i got the game :(.

Support co were excellent tho... i live near them, so my wife dropped the kit off one morning, and collected them the very next day, better than new, sommer along with the tuning cable.

Turn around normally takes longer for peeps not able to collect/deliver themselves tho, cuz of couriers and whatnot.

My only issue with the WT guitar is that the fret buttons are a lot more difficult to press compared to my gh3 guitar controller. Also, now with gh:metallica (awesome game btw), the Lips wireless mics work with it.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I'm looking at buying my set retail since buying it online will just make the process of returning it quite painful it something does go wrong.

On the negative side, I've listened to the full GHWT track list on youtube (since I don't really know the track names) and there's only about 8 song that seems nice. The rest are mostly songs from the old days which I don't like at all. 8-10 songs from the full list seems a bit low but guess this is the pattern with these guitar games which is a pity since I would have preferred playing out to more songs I enjoy. I also checked the DLC for the games but those tracks also seem pretty "meh".

Look I'm not saying they should just put new songs on there but at least some more enjoyable (and better on the ears) artists.

Last edited:

diabolus

Executive Member
Yea, well GH is kinda limited to Rock/Guitar songs. On top of that, it actually needs to be guitar songs that's not exactly plain strumming.

I personally don't actually like the whole "Guitar Duel" stuff they throw at you in the game , which is not even a song , just making lots of noise.

A game like "Elite Beat Agents" is actually more to my liking, because they don't paint themselves into a specific music genre....but sadly you don't get that on the Xbox ;)

Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bvkesh55rE

[EDIT and if you played Elite Beat Agents or seen it, this will be hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXZGzhsS-5I&NR=1 ]

Last edited:

DarKWateR

Expert Member
Bought my GH earlier today. So far...well I suck lol. I get between 90-100% on all the tracks on easy but on medium I just mess up.

diabolus

Executive Member
I love it even though it's so brutally hard (for me) that is.

Hehe, this is one of those games i say start on "Easy" . I usually play all games on "Medium" and i remember GH, i got hit with a relatively simple song first [A Bon Jovi song] and got wasted so badly i figured maybe i should try Easy first.

It's amazing once you went through the game on Easy and then move up to Medium and realizing how much you've improved on the same song. ;).

DarKWateR

Expert Member
Hehe, this is one of those games i say start on "Easy" . I usually play all games on "Medium" and i remember GH, i got hit with a relatively simple song first [A Bon Jovi song] and got wasted so badly i figured maybe i should try Easy first.

It's amazing once you went through the game on Easy and then move up to Medium and realizing how much you've improved on the same song. ;).

I'm done with all the songs on easy (92-100%) and moved over to medium.... .... ...3 hours later and yep, I'm back on easy again :p

Oculate

Honorary Master
I guess I could say I was thrown in the deep end learning to play GH... GH3 was the first 1 I got

Compared to WT, its so much harder

(and yes I'm still stuck on Tier7 hard on GH3 :()

Solidus

Expert Member
I guess I could say I was thrown in the deep end learning to play GH... GH3 was the first 1 I got

Compared to WT, its so much harder

(and yes I'm still stuck on Tier7 hard on GH3 :()

Can say that again, I tried playing it a little over the weekend and ended swearing a lot lol!
GH3 really is killer!