So Mweb charges more for capped fibre than uncapped fibre?????

8BitLife

As attached image shows, Mweb charges R10/m more for a 100GB capped 10/2 connection than they charge for an uncapped 10/2 connection. Can someone explain this to me???

Attachments

Venomous

Honorary Master
As attached image shows, Mweb charges R10/m more for a 100GB capped 10/2 connection than they charge for an uncapped 10/2 connection. Can someone explain this to me???
Uncapped will be throttled and shaped. Badly so.
Uncapped works on rolling windowsover Xnumber of days.

The capped product is not likely to be affected unless mweb experiences network issues. Then maybe they'll shape it a bit until the network is stable.

8BitLife

Agreed, MWEB doesnt know of this thing called uncapped. Just save your time and go to cool ideas now you will thanks everyone later on here
Cool Ideas is a bit too pricey for me. Went with MacroLan and they installed a week ago. So far can't complain. On a 10/2 line I'm actually getting 10.8/2.1. That's a nice 100KB/s they're squeezing out on the download speed for me.

Totempole

Expert Member
Hey, some respect MWEB freed uncapped internet in this country..
Pretty sure that's not the same MWEB. They were bought out by Internet Solutions a while back if I'm not mistaken. That said, it does look like their Bureaucratic core values remain unchanged. ;)

Totempole

Expert Member
To answer your question, capped accounts will get higher priority, so you'll have a better overall experience should the network come under strain, and you're not tied to any FUP policy that may be associated with their uncapped services.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, your data is still zero-rated between midnight and 8am on their capped offering.

Savy561

Hey, some respect MWEB freed uncapped internet in this country..
I wouldn't use the word "freed".

I used to have an uncapped adsl account with them a while back and I couldn't even do a local steam game download or even think of streaming something that didn't have a local server to pull from. I then changed to a 400gb capped account (which was actually a lower price then uncapped) which fixed most of the issues.

Bottom line is mweb's whole freed uncapped gimick had more doors locked than it opened.

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member
I wouldn't use the word "freed".

I used to have an uncapped adsl account with them a while back and I couldn't even do a local steam game download or even think of streaming something that didn't have a local server to pull from. I then changed to a 400gb capped account (which was actually a lower price then uncapped) which fixed most of the issues.

Bottom line is mweb's whole freed uncapped gimick had more doors locked than it opened.
Eh? I used to have a 384k uncapped line with them which was later upgraded to 1Mbps and then 2Mbps. When on 2Mbps I used to pull 150-280GB per month without issues.

Savy561

Eh? I used to have a 384k uncapped line with them which was later upgraded to 1Mbps and then 2Mbps. When on 2Mbps I used to pull 150-280GB per month without issues.
I'm glad you had a good experience but mine was not.

I had a 10mbps uncapped account with them and the shaping was the worst I've ever seen on an isp, if local downloads get shapped then you know it's a big problem. Me switching to capped which fixed the issue proves that it was the shaping on uncapped.

Bonk

At the beginning of their 'Free the Web' campaign around 2011 MWEB was okay. I ditched them for good when uncapped wasn't really uncapped, and then started sending warning letters accusing people of abusing their uncapped accounts.

They went from a fairly decent ISP to a terrible one in a space of two years.

under_sky

Cool Ideas is a bit too pricey for me. Went with MacroLan and they installed a week ago. So far can't complain. On a 10/2 line I'm actually getting 10.8/2.1. That's a nice 100KB/s they're squeezing out on the download speed for me.
Ever heard the saying you pay for what you get ? Hopefully you enjoy them a good amount. I have been with cool ideas for almost a year and just about monthly in excess of 4TB+ and never have a slow day etc.

8BitLife

Ever heard the saying you pay for what you get ? Hopefully you enjoy them a good amount. I have been with cool ideas for almost a year and just about monthly in excess of 4TB+ and never have a slow day etc.
I have heard that expression yes. And even though they are WAYYYY cheaper than Cool Ideas, they are giving perfectly fine service plus a slightly faster connection speed. Dunno why everyone is so stuck on Cool Ideas. I'm sure CI is a wonderful company but there are better options out there.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Getting 11.2/11.1 on a 10/10Mb on Cool Ideas... it's normal to see slightly higher speeds on some fibre ISP's, there was a article explaining why that is

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
At the beginning of their 'Free the Web' campaign around 2011 MWEB was okay. I ditched them for good when uncapped wasn't really uncapped, and then started sending warning letters accusing people of abusing their uncapped accounts.

They went from a fairly decent ISP to a terrible one in a space of two years.
The Derek Hernshaw effect...

To be honest though, I'd take a capped service over any uncapped service. Cool Ideas, to their credit, do offer true uncapped as in, it really is. Probably the first time an ISP will never fall foul of advertising regulatory framework.

Currently paying a little bit more for a CAPPED service with Vox Telecom on VDSL, and as we expect for premium capped services... NO THROTTLING, NO SHAPING, NO PORT RESTRICTIONS! Cool Ideas were able to offer this on their products, and it did work. In my case, unfortunately the fibre provider were a true and honest EPIC FAIL.

bradz

MWEB capped solution is a better option for me, doesn't get throttled or shaped, so i'm 100% happy with their service, not sure about their uncapped product though.