So, wanting to speak to an Afrikaans Telkom support agent makes you a racist?

infection

Well, I don't normally rant and rave about service providers, but today I came across the best excuse for bad service.

For around the last two weeks my dad has had problems with his internet. After testing it out using two other pre-paid ISP accounts it was clear that the problem was not with the line but with the ISP (which is Telkom of course).

After several calls just being ignored and the last one just being put down in my ear I went and placed a fault report online (12-11-13). 6 days later after no response (18-11-13) I sent an email to their escalation center at which point a lady by the name of Patricia called my dad.

When he asked to speak to someone in Afrikaans she told him Telkom doesn't employ Afrikaans speaking people and he's out of luck and if he demands to be helped in Afrikaans, she can demand to help him in Venda. Oh, not to mention during the course of this she even put the phone down twice.

So, today (19-11-13) I decided to call her up and told her that an Afrikaans speaking support should call my dad and resolve the problem or I will report it to a higher order (oh, and her response to this is, we can report them to whomever, be it ICASA or anyone else, they wont do a thing). At which point (after a lot of words) both myself and dad was accused of being racist for not wanting to speak to "black" people.
After listening to the recorded phone call twice (yes, I record my phone calls) I could still not figure out where I said I don't want to speak to a black person, or any person of any ethnicity not the same as mine, but I did mention several times I want an Afrikaans person to contact and speak to my dad to resolve his problem.

So, from now on, if you have a client you don't want to help, just throw the racist card out there, seems to work well for Telkom.

Rabobi

Executive Member
Only white people are racist, make your peace with it and speak to them in English, no point in getting your blood pressure up with crap like this

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Well, I don't normally rant and rave about service providers, but today I came across the best excuse for bad service.

After listening to the recorded phone call twice (yes, I record my phone calls) I could still not figure out where I said I don't want to speak to a black person, or any person of any ethnicity not the same as mine, but I did mention several times I want an Afrikaans person to contact and speak to my dad to resolve his problem.

So, from now on, if you have a client you don't want to help, just throw the racist card out there, seems to work well for Telkom.
Escalate to the support management team.

Telkom are trying to sort out their customer facing stuff, and will need to hear about crap like this.

Mr_P

Hahahhahahaha, i cant help to Laugh!!!!!!! Stupid man/woman, pathetic... Fire that woman, she is the one being RACIST !!!

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Brings back Eskom memories:

[video=youtube_share;nEUk2mQSbLI]http://youtu.be/nEUk2mQSbLI[/video]

Alan

Honorary Master
Does your dad have trouble understanding/conversing in English?

Imagine if Telkom had to cater for all 11 official languages

yebocan

Honorary Master
At the best of times, when calling Telkom Support, you are lucky someone can reset a port..without asking you to switch your computer off and on...,do not stress about the little stuff...not worth pushing up your bp over someone that has a moerse chip on their shoulder...- must also add, for the most telkom support staff, call centre included, have been upping their game...

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
People, that in this day and age, full well knowing that 99% of people employed in the call centre of a state run enterprise, will no be able to speak Afrikaans, still insist on Afrikaans, are plain and simple just stirring k@k.

And I am Afrikaans speaking and fully support the survival of my language in this country.

Anonymous™

As much as you have a point, in the interest of your clients - you should have a fully multilingual team.

I don't see why anyone would want to talk geek in Afrikaans though! I remember, black English speaking me, struggling to explain to a tannie that her daughter's motherboard is broken at Maties IT Help Center. Toughest Afrikaans convo I have EVER had!

Tinuva

The Magician
They don't have to cater for 11 official languages, but you should realize that if 2 of those 11 official languages is the top end bracket customers, you should do something about it, and at least cater for those. It is not racist, it makes business sense to go out of your way for your customers, especially the ones from who you make most of your money. That said, I do realize customers are mostly small change vs the business customers.

kobie

How about speaking English with the lady instead of throwing a tantrum over nothing? You might even get your internet fixed!

infection

Well, here is a few responses to those that have asked questions or made comments.

Only white people are racist, make your peace with it and speak to them in English, no point in getting your blood pressure up with crap like this
I did speak to them in English. I requested an Afrikaans speaking agent for my dad as they refuse most of time to speak to me. What irritated me is that because someone requested to speak to an Afrikaans speaking agent, they are now a racist. And saying only white people are racist is a poor excuse (I do know you mean it in a non serious tone). But yeah, it's not something that you should just accept. Luckily for us, there are alternative service providers.

Escalate to the support management team.

Telkom are trying to sort out their customer facing stuff, and will need to hear about crap like this.
I have called in several times on this single problem, and I have even mail their escalation center. I have gone as far as to ask for a manager to call me back, because ironically none could be found in the whole of the Telkom call center when I called in. I am sure you can guess what has happened on these requests so far.

They don't have to cater for 11 official languages, but you should realize that if 2 of those 11 official languages is the top end bracket customers, you should do something about it, and at least cater for those. It is not racist, it makes business sense to go out of your way for your customers, especially the ones from who you make most of your money. That said, I do realize customers are mostly small change vs the business customers.
As much as you have a point, in the interest of your clients - you should have a fully multilingual team.

I don't see why anyone would want to talk geek in Afrikaans though! I remember, black English speaking me, struggling to explain to a tannie that her daughter's motherboard is broken at Maties IT Help Center. Toughest Afrikaans convo I have EVER had!
Yes, unfortunately my dads' English is not the greatest.
I am pretty sure that from all of those agents you will find the majority of the official languages actually covered, otherwise Telkom should maybe consider having those gaps closed a little.

As for speaking geek in Afrikaans. I have to deal with it on a regular basis and although sometimes being a weird conversation it's the preferred language of 90% of my clients.

People, that in this day and age, full well knowing that 99% of people employed in the call centre of a state run enterprise, will no be able to speak Afrikaans, still insist on Afrikaans, are plain and simple just stirring k@k.

And I am Afrikaans speaking and fully support the survival of my language in this country.
Rerig, nou kry 'n ruggraat en ondersteun jou taal. As jy nie geweet het nie, Afrikaans is die derde mees gebruikte taal in Suid Afrika, met 2.3 miljoen meer mense wat Afrikaans praat as Engels. Dus, moenie jou kop breuk nie, daar is baie ander mense wat sal op staan vir ons taal. Jy kan maar op die draad bly sit en net Afrikaans wees wanneer dit jou pas.

How about speaking English with the lady instead of throwing a tantrum over nothing? You might even get your internet fixed!
I did speak to her in English, and the previous times I called in as well. The request was to have an Afrikaans speaking agent get in touch with my dad as they wont speak to me.

And they don't have to fix it, as I said there are alternative service providers.

Last edited:

Rabobi

Executive Member
ooi!

Settle down there mr Somerset West, why is your location in English :) Surely it should be Somerset Wes?

Dont let Helkom get you so upset :p