So what is going on with SNOT?

kingmonty

Expert Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
4,279
It's been quite a while since SNOT even made a peep. Even at the ICASA Broadband hearings they withdrew with hardly a sound. It's now halfway through 2006 (give a few days) and we are still no closer to the *competition* we were promised.

Edit: even the SNOT website hasn't been updated in a long time. Their "press releases" section only has two entries, the latest dated
12 Dec 2005 : The SNO receives PSTS Licence
*doubly endless sigh*
 
Last edited:

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
10,066
Well, I just blew a bunch of SNOT out my nose. Thanks for the interest though :D
 

mccrack

Expert Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
2,485
If they were frantically busy setting up shop surely we would have heard something from outsourced "sources" that are involved, i dont think anything is happenening with SNOT @ the moment....

Might just be linked to the Wireless spectrum they're waiting on ICASA for ....
 

kingmonty

Expert Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
4,279
mccrack said:
Might just be linked to the Wireless spectrum they're waiting on ICASA for ....
*sigh*, I wonder if Sentech/ICASA could honestly be bothered, considering that Sentech is now effectively also an impending voice provider
 

mccrack

Expert Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
2,485
kingmonty said:
*sigh*, I wonder if Sentech/ICASA could honestly be bothered, considering that Sentech is now effectively also an impending voice provider
Might have been on this site where i read it but iirc ICASA is holding a public hearing for the Wireless Spectrum that SNOT wants to access, Sentech is currently using that frequency and is not a happy puppy.
 

kingmonty

Expert Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
4,279
mccrack said:
Might have been on this site where i read it but iirc ICASA is holding a public hearing for the Wireless Spectrum that SNOT wants to access, Sentech is currently using that frequency and is not a happy puppy.
Mmm. We *used* to work quite closely with Sentech, and now we're waiting for the go ahead on a new project we'd be working with, but at the moment there is soooo much politics at play there that no one knows what the hell is going on, which means our projects that were supposed to be finalised last year have been put on the back burner. Apparently Ivy the honourable cow's announcements the other day also took them quite by surprise, and pretty much caused even more chaos.
 

kingmonty

Expert Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
4,279
But no one I speak to has any idea of what's happening at SNOT. That is most disappointing, especially since they have now been licensed for more than half a year. Remember when Cell C was about to launch? They went on a massive PR drive. But SNOT is quieter now than before they were licensed :mad:
 

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
72,368
SNOT is an illusion dreamt up by Telkom to appease the masses.
 

Inertia

Expert Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
1,246
SNOT doesn't really need to make a big noise before their launch, as they are only launching wholesale services to big ISP's and a few corporate customers. I suspect their 'real' launch will only be next year when they open up to the general public.

I won't be surprised if in a few months time we hear that SNOT has infact been selling services for quite a while.
 

JStrike

Honorary Master
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
12,454
mccrack : The wireless/icasa stuff is only affecting the consumer rollout which is happening next year.
 

lilDeath

Executive Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2006
Messages
6,232
Me reckon SNO are holding back a bit....their problem is money, they have nowhere near to the $$$ that Telskom has... there budget they announced they going to use to BUILD a new network is like 1/10 or so of what Telskom is using to UPGRADE their network. :(

Don't think they wanna make too much noise (read: PR) drawing droves of users to an infant network...

baby steps :p
 

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
72,368
lilDeath said:
Me reckon SNO are holding back a bit....their problem is money, they have nowhere near to the $$$ that Telskom has... there budget they announced they going to use to BUILD a new network is like 1/10 or so of what Telskom is using to UPGRADE their network. :(

Don't think they wanna make too much noise (read: PR) drawing droves of users to an infant network...

baby steps :p
Snot has some very rich parents with deep pockets.
 
Top