So what's with Vodacom's new wireless broadband bundle rates?

frankvw

I know that my poor little brain is easily confused... but this time I really don't get it.

First, I read that "Vodacom is planning to cut its mobile broadband tariffs soon to ensure its products remain competitively priced." Then Vodacom gushes that "Now, all Prepaid and Top Up Once-off data bundle customers can surf the Internet longer for less, with our revised bundle pricing."

So why is it then that when I tried to buy a prepaid data bundle this morning, I found that now I'm paying R279 for 1GB, instead of the R289 for 1.2GB that it was before? Is this a price cut? Is this more for less? From where I sit, it's a 15%+ price hike.

Am I missing something here?

grok

Honorary Master
Only your innocence, which Vodacom has just taken from you.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Nope, just Vodacom who think their clients are mathematically challenge - seriously so ...

They are to dumb to realise that we are capable of pushing the buttons on a calculator, and that most of us can use spreadsheets ...

They have seriously fallen of the bus ...

Shayd

Expert Member
I love the fact that Vodacom charges more for 1 gig than IBurst charges for 20...

Alexcon

Nope, just Vodacom who think their clients are mathematically challenge - seriously so ...

They are to dumb to realise that we are capable of pushing the buttons on a calculator, and that most of us can use spreadsheets ...

They have seriously fallen of the bus ...

YES! i agree... I'm so jumping ship to MTN when my contract ends in 3months time (10+years customer I might add). Vodacom has actually offended me with its sluggish and incompetent approach over last few months/years.

That's Fine. I'll simply vote with my wallet. Cheers Vodacom it's been a less than mediocre experience. I'm finally awake and will be spreading word.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master

Madhawk

Honorary Master
R250 buys you 1.2GBs at Cell C.

Vodacom decreased the prices on their smaller packages and increased the prices on their bigger packages.

Cause all the peeps use the smaller packages.

xera

Expert Member

hahaha!

On a more serious note:

It seems that they currently have this promotion on (check the banner on this forum) where if you get 1GB or more, you will actually get double.

This is very misleading, as the menu clearly says R279 is 1GB, and not 2GB. So if the promo suddenly ends, and clients are expecting to get _double_, then that is true daylight robbery.

frankvw

OK. In the interest of balance, let me say at this point that I have just had a response on this issue from Vodacom's Customer Scare department. They point out that, yes, the bundle I've been using so far has gone up, but at the same time they now offer a 1.5GB bundle for R319, which means an extra 300MB for R30.

Fine. Fair enough. At least they did give me a serious response. I haven't had that so far from MTN.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Vodacom were only a few 100% more expensive than the competition - which isn't right.

They had to correct that and have it closer to 1000%, as most MyBB members expect that.

I pay R199.00pm for 10GB on 8ta - I think the same amount of data on Vodacom would cost R1,760 at 11.5GB. Granted - 1.5GB extra, but at almost 900% more expensive I'm not of the worth :/

It's like the Audi A4 2.0 at R350,000.00 and the BMW 323i at R3.1 million. The really odd thing is people are still buying the BMW - even though it breaks down every few weeks, has high consumption and only accelerates to 100km/h in 30 seconds as opposed to 10 seconds advertised

I'll never understand the human mind :/

Moral : Go Audi!

frankvw

> I pay R199.00pm for 10GB on 8ta - I think the same amount
> of data on Vodacom would cost R1,760 at 11.5GB
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but looking at the 8ta rates at http://www.8ta.co.za/plans/prepaid-data/ I see that I'll be paying R250 for 1GB, and R800 for 5GB. Please enlighten me? Tnx!

sajunky

Honorary Master
>Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but looking at the 8ta rates at http://www.8ta.co.za/plans/prepaid-data/ I see that I'll be paying R250 for 1GB, and R800 for 5GB. Please enlighten me? Tnx!
These are normal bundle prices. Dolby is about 8ta GoBIG special contract. There is also bundle special GoBIG but only 2+1GB R149.
Edit: To be clear, normal bundle are roaming to MTN, GoBIG specials SIM are non-roaming.

Last edited: