"So, you want price increases?" Vodacom responds to Cell C

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Wow Shameel, you must have woken up on the stupid side of the PR bed this morning.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Speaking at the 2013 MyBroadband Conference, Cell C CEO Alan Knott-Craig said that Vodacom and MTN are abusing their dominant market positions with [highlight]far lower on-net call rates.[/highlight]

I haven't been a Vodacom customer for voice calls since April 2013 but I'm quite sure Vodacom over charged me irrespective of the network I wanted to call including Vodacom to Vodacom.

Maybe AKC is referring to specific Vodacom contracts like high end business packages where the customer is over charged by Vodacom on the monthly subscription in exchange for cheaper Vodacom to Vodacom calls.

In the absence of further information, one can only speculate as to what AKC is on about but I honestly don't think the Competition Commission will agree with AKC's reasoning as there would have to be a widespread (not just business contracts) abuse of on-net call rates where competitors are unable to compete.

Randux

Expert Member
Go ahead increase your tarrifs it can only be good for Cell C/Telkom Mobile

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Guys like Joosub, with a 8 figure income telling us "living on the bread line" people to cough up......raw arrogance

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Clearly those who posted above did not bother to read the article. :rolleyes:

Nor do they seem to understand the nature and details of the Cell C statement.

It really (REALLY) would be cool if people actually read the articles they comment on......

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
That headline is so out of context for what's been said in that article. Or is the link redirecting to something else? :wtf:

reactor_sa

Executive Member
I don't see the problem.
In aus I was getting FREE calls to numbers on the same network! Any time of day or night! For as long as I wanted, no limit!

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
As much as I hate to admit it, I think that Cell C is being a bit ingenious in this particular case. All providers in SA have offers out that provide free/cheaper on net calls, including Cell C.

By pointing the finger at MTN/Vodacom, AKC is essentially asking for rules to be created and applied selectively, which would be unfair.

Asymmetric MTR's are essential in the SA cellular market, which Cell C is getting, but to totally skew the rules in favour of the smaller providers would not be right in my opinion

Outlaw

I don't see the problem.
In aus I was getting FREE calls to numbers on the same network! Any time of day or night! For as long as I wanted, no limit!

Cell c will threaten to sue them :D

I'm sure cell c "unlimited" tariff is on net calls only or have they changed it?

Mbuzi

Expert Member
What's the legal/Competition analyst opinion here? Does Cell C have a case?

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master

It really (REALLY) would be cool if people actually read the articles they comment on......

I did read the article, I also read the following:

Vodacom to fight plans to cut mobile rate

Vodacom threatens to cut SA investment, jobs

They seem to be related.....why not mention the termination rates in the MyBB article?

Last edited:

FNfal

Executive Member

On this one i agree.
But it is a catch 22 situation where AKC is right , and vodacom to vodacom will be cheaper or MTN to MTN or CellC to Cellc what ever .
No interconnect rate will make a same network call cheaper.
This will make the bigger networks seem like they are squeezing the smaller networks out and according to AKC the bigger networks must increase their local same network prices.

markings

Expert Member
By how much? The call still has to be terminated even if it is on your own network. The only thing additional in off-net calls is the in-between-network stuff and how much can that cost?

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
On this one i agree.
But it is a catch 22 situation where AKC is right , and vodacom to vodacom will be cheaper or MTN to MTN or CellC to Cellc what ever .
This will make the bigger networks seem like they are squeezing the smaller networks out and according to AKC the bigger networks must increase their local same network prices.

IIRC, Cell C was leading in these free on-net calls offers, including the FNB(?) deal.

Likely this has little to do with differential on-net / off-net offers but rather comes back to interconnect.