Software developer salaries in 2021

McGuywer

Executive Member
I suppose this is before tax?

Sounds like a stupid question but I do not see any mention of it in the article.
Must be CTC then?

cguy

Executive Member
Not exactly compelling. Then again, not exactly accurate either.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Guess if you are in the Eastern Cape you earn nothing

WhiteRaven

Recruitment Link
Company Rep
This is the general rule of thumb I use for Developer salaries - depending on the area and the companies budget, so the ranges can be quite wide.

0 – 2 Years experience R20 – 39 000 per month

3 – 5 years experience R30 000 – 59 000 per month

5 - 8 Years experience R59 000 – 80 000 per month

8 - 10+ years experience R80 - 110 000+ per month

At the end of the day it boils down to the companies budget and how much the Dev is willing to work for.

nexxus

Every time I see the CJI, I wonder if either it's completely nonsensical or I should thank my lucky stars I work where I do.

Seeing as this has spread over multiple jobs now, I'm veering towards the former. The only time the numbers actually made sense was when I worked for CJ.

cguy

Executive Member
This is the general rule of thumb I use for Developer salaries - depending on the area and the companies budget, so the ranges can be quite wide.

0 – 2 Years experience R20 – 39 000 per month

3 – 5 years experience R30 000 – 59 000 per month

5 - 8 Years experience R59 000 – 80 000 per month

8 - 10+ years experience R80 - 110 000+ per month

At the end of the day it boils down to the companies budget and how much the Dev is willing to work for.
It’s a little disturbing that experience is the primary indicator and not the type of work being done. I expect that in SA developer jobs are becoming a lot more homogenized.

nexxus

It’s a little disturbing that experience is the primary indicator and not the type of work being done. I expect that in SA developer jobs are becoming a lot more homogenized.

Is that surprising though? The vast majority of junior to intermediate developer positions in SA are interchangeable. When I earned the CJI related salary, I was doing CJ job ad status work, which is bog standard web dev at a pretty unchallenging level at a fairly uninteresting company with no status or agency. The more challenge, risk or scale your job involves, the more you're likely to earn and the less likely it was that you applied to an ad on CJ.

cguy

Executive Member
Is that surprising though? The vast majority of junior to intermediate developer positions in SA are interchangeable. When I earned the CJI related salary, I was doing CJ job ad status work, which is bog standard web dev at a pretty unchallenging level at a fairly uninteresting company with no status or agency. The more challenge, risk or scale your job involves, the more you're likely to earn and the less likely it was that you applied to an ad on CJ.
I was referring to WhiteRaven‘s rule-of-thumb specifically. I believe she gets a wider range of both clients and applicants than the typical CJ job posting.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I suppose this is before tax?

Sounds like a stupid question but I do not see any mention of it in the article.
Must be CTC then?

No need to mention it.

Salaries are always gross and in CTC because otherwise it wouldn’t be a fair comparison.

WhiteRaven

Recruitment Link
Company Rep
I think this also plays into the wide range for the salaries, also the more intricate the work the higher up the "level scale" I have seen companies looking for intermediate candidates, paying senior developer salaries because they have to have certain industry skill sets.