Software development the most sought-after skill in South Africa

Messugga

Honorary Master
Kevin, bud, I want you to do me a favour. Get a thesaurus and remove the word "reveal" from your vocabulary.

Oppiekoffie

Expert Member
One of these again. Been following the forumns for quite some time now. As a job hunter what bugs me is that even with my 20 years in IT. I think lots of these ads on the net(Pnet, Careerjunction, etc) are bogus or just plain for headhunting.
Interesting that there are few junior oppertunities. How come there are mostly senior dev positions. Are all these senior people leaving their jobs all the time?
The worst of the ads I see, are great and fantastic oppertunity, with this excellent team spirit, while the ad has been going for ages. Also, is there no one else in the dev department to go up?
As for the great fantastic places, yeah, as I mentioned before, 20 years in there. Even been in a corp that's been in the "best place to work for" list thats published yearly. Believe me. Its not the case. Not in the IT department anyway. A couple of incidents has been, GM, PM... politics, then to add fuel to the fire, dev shop(s) also wangling things to get either out and get someone in so they can increase their profits and get more of their people in there.
Also, I know of a big software house, didn't really in terms of capability meet the requirements to get in at a big corp. Somehow they managed it. Most likely a bribe.

IT behavior in the corporate and dev shop areas is shocking. Unbelievable what these will do. As for the recruiters. If you don't have anything good to say about someone, rather keep quiet.
You're welcome to correct me on these views.