Software to control PC's in a IT training room

eg2505

Honorary Master
Hi all,

Im trying to find a software that allows one to remotely lock all PC's of a IT training room to one PC,
and do training with it, so one trainer can demonstrate something on one PC, and the rest all follow it,

cant escape, cant minimize, but can collaborate with trainer

think it used to be called classnet or something like that, ,
name escapes me for the moment

sure there are dozens out there, but what is the best one?

Nod

Executive Member
In what way will they collaborate?

VanillaBox

Expert Member
Option 1
Many years back I used a combination of products (Mostly from Microsoft) to setup a computer lab at primary school.

I used Domain Controller with Group Policies to lock them down so much that Windows didn’t have a Start Button, only the needed programs on the desktop.
You can also make Windows to start into a program (school program), and when you quit it, it shut machine down.

Then there was this PCI card that you plug in, and it intercepted the data that were supposed to save to disk, so every time you start the computer it look like the way you set it up, then the children do what they do, change settings etc. and once you restart it is the way you did it..

Option 2 (think this will do what you need)
What about:

Option 3
NComputing helped me at a couple of places, but I don’t think it support a broadcasting feature, but worth it to look into the features (or talk to someone).

wheeloftrash

Executive Member
Hi all,

Im trying to find a software that allows one to remotely lock all PC's of a IT training room to one PC,
and do training with it, so one trainer can demonstrate something on one PC, and the rest all follow it,

cant escape, cant minimize, but can collaborate with trainer

think it used to be called classnet or something like that, ,
name escapes me for the moment

sure there are dozens out there, but what is the best one?
Could you not achieve the collaboration that you require by using google meet to allow the participants to share their screen. You won't have the ability to restrict the minimization and escape options though.

Why do you want limit the control that participants have over their workstations?

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
Could you not achieve the collaboration that you require by using google meet to allow the participants to share their screen. You won't have the ability to restrict the minimization and escape options though.

Why do you want limit the control that participants have over their workstations?
for people that open soccer laduma and read news during a lecture,, when thats not what they are there to do,

remember it had a legit name and everything, but for the life of me and google fu, cant remember now what these software called.

anybody set something similar like this before?

wheeloftrash

Executive Member
for people that open soccer laduma and read news during a lecture,, when thats not what they are there to do,

remember it had a legit name and everything, but for the life of me and google fu, cant remember now what these software called.

anybody set something similar like this before?
I've had someone demo me an application similar to option2 that @gfmalan shared, but with the ability to lock the screen. I just can't recall the name of the software now as it was quite a few years ago. I do remember the software being expensive.

Edit: @eg2505 I managed to find the software online, it's called Impero classroom management. It's a bit of an overkill if you're in higher education.

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
I've had someone demo me an application similar to option2 that @gfmalan shared, but with the ability to lock the screen. I just can't recall the name of the software now as it was quite a few years ago. I do remember the software being expensive.
money is no object, especially if its worthwhile,
I see the software @gfmalan said is free and open source, so wondering if its even worthwhile?

eg2505

Honorary Master
was also thinking along these lines,
with radmin, but struggling to see how to do it, without people simply minimizing the lecturers screen and reading news 24
need full and total control of everybody in the class.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
was also thinking along these lines,
with radmin, but struggling to see how to do it, without people simply minimizing the lecturers screen and reading news 24
need full and total control of everybody in the class.
With VNC you can see what is on their screen but they can't see that you can see.

We used it when interviewing CAD jockeys. As part of their interview they had to follow a set of instructions and produce a CAD drawing. The interviewer would watch what they were doing remotely.

eg2505

Honorary Master
You can see what is on their screen but they can't see that you can see.

We used it when interviewing CAD jockeys. As part of their interview they had to follow a set of instructions and produce a CAD drawing. The interviewer would watch what they were doing remotely.

nice idea, but struggling to see how it would work in a training room environment,
trainer will have to scan 40 different windows at the same time as delivering a lecture or showing a slideshow on a projector.

want their screens locked, cant mess about with games or whatever nonsense.
afterwards they can do whatever they like,

idea I have in my head is like on an airplane with the safety video on the Seat mounted screens.
you can press buttons all you like, but all the screens are locked until the safety video is over.

wheeloftrash

Executive Member
money is no object, especially if its worthwhile,
I see the software @gfmalan said is free and open source, so wondering if its even worthwhile?
If money isn't an option then Impero classroom management may be for you . I was allowed to test the product for about two weeks or a month, can't recall exactly for how long. The vendor also assisted with the installation when testing the product.

I would test both the open source and the commercial software. If open source does the job then there's no need to pay for software.

John_Phoenix

Expert Member
Don't know about the software, but this hardware works beautifully...
(Yes, the hat is to show you mean business)

8-handcrafted-dark-brown-leather-bull-whip.jpg