Solar: Cost of equipment & installation

Speedster

Honorary Master
mmm as long as it works then all good :)
Yeah, they're specced as follows:

PV Input Voltage: 370V (100V-500V)
MPPT Range (V): 125-425V
Full Load DC Voltage Range: 240-425V
Start-up Voltage (V): 150V

AFAIK that means that optimal efficiency is at 370V, but it'll work at anything between 125V and 425V. I get the 425V and 500V upper limits (i.e. no benefit to going over 425V and above 500V the magic smoke comes out), but I'm still puzzled by the three different minimum voltage values. Would be cool if someone clued up could share their wisdom about this with us.

Last edited:

Space

Expert Member
I have started making enquiries and getting quotes for a solar installation at my home. The first quote has come in at R143k

A quick Google of the average pricing for the equipment above if I was to buy directly online comes in at ~R90k.

Sure, I understand there is a bunch of other items needed, brackets, cabling, installation costs etc. and the installer obviously needs to make something off the installation as well.

I'd like to know if the R143k total for equipment and installation is reasonable?
1652881446817.png

RonSwanson

Honorary Master
It is difficult to judge the install costs because each install is different, plus there are some facts we don't know much about (for example roof type: tile roofs are typically more expensive than IBR).

Please ask them to send you a picture and specs of this one component though, and please post it here:
ZERO EXPORT (ANTI PUSHBACK) CONTROLL BOX
I am sure that all MyBB Sunsynk fans will want to have a good laugh :cool:

Space

Expert Member
Please ask them to send you a picture and specs of this one component though, and please post it here:

I am sure that all MyBB Sunsynk fans will want to have a good laugh :cool:
LOL sounds like one of those "only works in theory but never in practice" ones, but they DO exist:

1652882081306.png

itareanlnotani

Executive Member
Yeah, they're specced as follows:

PV Input Voltage: 370V (100V-500V)
MPPT Range (V): 125-425V
Full Load DC Voltage Range: 240-425V
Start-up Voltage (V): 150V

AFAIK that means that optimal efficiency is at 370V, but it'll work at anything between 125V and 425V. I get the 425V and 500V upper limits (i.e. no benefit to going over 425V and above the magic smoke comes out), but I'm still puzzled by the three different minimum voltage values. Would be cool if someone clued up could share their wisdom about this with us.

PV Input voltage is the sweet spot for the inverter - i.e. where its most efficient.

MPPT range is the range that the MPPT will start working at.

Full Load DC voltage - when the inverter is under full load (i.e. outputting lots of kW), then you'll need to be within this range.

Startup Voltage - this is the voltage that will turn on the inverter.

So.. assume you have 125v from your panels at 10amps.
The battery will be getting charged, but your inverter won't turn on yet, only the MPPT portion of the unit.

Once it hits 150v or over, the inverter portion of the unit will turn on.

Under full load, it needs between 240v and 425v (plus as many amps as needed to fill your usage).

Sweet spot for the inverter is in the 370v range, so thats where you want to configure your panels to be at voltage wise if possible.

initroot

I have the following ordered:
Sunsynk 5kw inverter
Hubble 5.5kwh AM-2 battery
10 x JA 460w panels

My total costs with install, COCT etc around R115 000. So your costs does seem slightly more expensive.

itareanlnotani

Executive Member
I have started making enquiries and getting quotes for a solar installation at my home. The first quote has come in at R143k and consists of:
Sunsynk 8kw inverter
8 x Canadian Solar 455w panels

A quick Google of the average pricing for the equipment above if I was to buy directly online comes in at ~R90k.

Sure, I understand there is a bunch of other items needed, brackets, cabling, installation costs etc. and the installer obviously needs to make something off the installation as well.

I'd like to know if the R143k total for equipment and installation is reasonable?

Has anyone here managed to cut costs by buying outright then outsourcing the install? Self-installation is not an option for me.
Feels about 20k to much to me.

8kw inverter - 33k
Hubble - 24k
8 x 455w- 3k each - 24k
Misc bits 10k (mounting, disconnects etc).
===

CoC - 2k
Engineering signoff 5k
Install Labour and profit 20%

120k total.

Thats where it should probably be. 120-130k ish.

For 143k I'd expect 10kW of battery, not 5kW

Supervan II

Expert Member
I have started making enquiries and getting quotes for a solar installation at my home. The first quote has come in at R143k and consists of:
Sunsynk 8kw inverter
8 x Canadian Solar 455w panels

Has anyone here managed to cut costs by buying outright then outsourcing the install? Self-installation is not an option for me.
From Ronnie, by any chance?

Vades

I've had to relook at this whole project. I had to divert my attention to additional water backup solutions due to the current drought in EC. This also means that my initial solar budget has been reduced.

I'm now looking at splitting the solar installation into 2 stages. Stage 1, invertor and battery; Stage 2, add solar panels.

The company I'm dealing with has quoted on a Sunsynk 5kw inverter and 2 battery options. With Sunsynk 5.12kWh battery, total is R58k. With a Hubble AM-2 5.5kWh battery, total is R59k.

If I opt for the Sunsynk battery the warranty of the inverter is extended from 5 years to 10 years.

In layman's terms, any reasons why I should not go for the Sunsynk battery?

Speedster

Honorary Master
I've had to relook at this whole project. I had to divert my attention to additional water backup solutions due to the current drought in EC. This also means that my initial solar budget has been reduced.

I'm now looking at splitting the solar installation into 2 stages. Stage 1, invertor and battery; Stage 2, add solar panels.

The company I'm dealing with has quoted on a Sunsynk 5kw inverter and 2 battery options. With Sunsynk 5.12kWh battery, total is R58k. With a Hubble AM-2 5.5kWh battery, total is R59k.

If I opt for the Sunsynk battery the warranty of the inverter is extended from 5 years to 10 years.

In layman's terms, any reasons why I should not go for the Sunsynk battery?
I believe the SunSynk is LiFePO4, which is the superior technology. There seem to be two versions of the SunSynk battery, one 1C and the other 0.5C. The Hubble is 1C. If the C rating is important to your use case you might just want to clarify which SunSynk the supplier has.

rh1

Executive Member
My only concern is that I dont know if you have sufficient minimum panels for the 8kw sunsynk somone else can comment on that tho
I was told the minimum of 10 panels for the 8kw Sunsynk

rh1

Executive Member
Sure, it's not itemised though and I've made some verbal amendments with the supplier since receiving the formal quote. With the amendments it's as follows:

1 x 8KW SINGLE PHASE HYBRID SOLAR INVERTER

SOLAR PANELS

3.64 KW (8 x 455W) SOLAR MODULES (TIER 1)

MOUNTING STRUCTURE

ROOF MOUNTED SOLAR STRUCTURE INCLUDING ALL ACCESORIES

BATTERY

1 x 5.5KWH LITHIUM ION BATTERY

DC ITEMS

SOLAR PANEL CABLING

SOLAR PANEL CABLE TRAYS AND TRUNKING

MC4 CONNECTORS

ALL COMBINER BOXS

INDUSTRIAL SPRAG AND CONNECTORS

SOLAR PANEL EARTHING AND NECESSARY EARTH BARS

AC ITEMS

CABLE TRAYS, CABLE TIES AND TRUNKING

AC OUTPUT CABLE TO THE MAIN TIE IN POINT

A CUSTOM DESGINED AND MANUFACTURED COMBINER BOX

ALL ARMOURED CABLES GLANDS AND ACCESSORIES

ZERO EXPORT (ANTI PUSHBACK) CONTROLL BOX

CURRENT TRANSFORMERS

TRAVELLING AND LABOUR
I paid for everything including delivery excluding installation R145 725 in May.

10 x 460 w Panels
8kw Sunsynk inverter
2 x 5.5 Hubble batteries and Riotlink
All accessories.

Speedster

Honorary Master
I paid for everything including delivery excluding installation R145 725 in May.

10 x 460 w Panels
8kw Sunsynk inverter
2 x 5.5 Hubble batteries and Riotlink
All accessories.
What was your installation cost?