Solar Geyser help

144Vuma

Hi guys.

Im about to move into a new home in the Randburg (Johannesburg) area.

I need a reputable solar geyser installer who can provide good advice as well.

I got a quote for a retro fit installation that comes with all the "bells and whistles" on a 200l geyser.

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Marsie27

We had a retrofit done almost 10 years ago. Make sure it gets installed in the optimal place for sun exposure, even if that means a couple of extra metres of plumbing. We didn't get the solar pump add-on, which if we were to do the job again we would probably go for. Our control panel shows the temperature of the water - some don't, and I think that would be a pain. It doesn't have a back-up battery for the settings, which is a nuisance when the power goes off, as it then reverts to the default 4x1 hour heating periods until we reset it (which in our case is not to come on at all unless we manually set it to heat). Tonight for example we set it to heat for 10 minutes, and invariably it's only in the middle of winter that we need any extra heating at all.

144Vuma

We had a retrofit done almost 10 years ago. Make sure it gets installed in the optimal place for sun exposure, even if that means a couple of extra metres of plumbing. We didn't get the solar pump add-on, which if we were to do the job again we would probably go for. Our control panel shows the temperature of the water - some don't, and I think that would be a pain. It doesn't have a back-up battery for the settings, which is a nuisance when the power goes off, as it then reverts to the default 4x1 hour heating periods until we reset it (which in our case is not to come on at all unless we manually set it to heat). Tonight for example we set it to heat for 10 minutes, and invariably it's only in the middle of winter that we need any extra heating at all.
Thanks for your input. Is it worth the investment?

Marsie27

Clearly as the price of electricity increases, so the payback time lessens, but we haven't bothered to work out exactly when and if that will ever exceed what we could have earned had we invested the money we spent. We did it primarily for ecological reasons rather than gambling on it saving us money in the long term. And for sure it is really great to have hot water when there are Eskom failures, assuming the sun shines on those days.
We had five years of records of daily consumption before we put in solar (with pretty much the same household occupancy) so you can see how our savings compare.
Elec daily averages.JPG