Solar geysers - are they a scam?

Splinter

Honorary Master
Eskom will get more expensive every year.

Your solar geyser gets cheaper and eventually costs zero.

Not much of a choice then.

See, this is when I know you are talking utter nonsense. If you actually read the thread, you would have seen that "solar" geysers still run on electricity.

isie

Honorary Master
I bath in the morning. Unless you bath or shower in the afternoon it seems like you get luke-warm water.

I set my timer to kick in the element before midnight and around 4am ( i set it for those times just in case to cover for load shedding if load shedding on the one then the other will cover etc) however most nights it doesn't need to kick in as the water is already hot from the day before, the heat loss is really low plus mines is outside (flat roof) so its more exposed then a person who has a geyser in their ceiling , none the less most nights the back up doesn't need to kick in.

I shower in the morning then after me my wife, my kids normally shower in the afternoon.
After the morning shower the water is cold, it warms up by solar only and then the kids have a zero electricity shower, once the kids shower normally the water, again is cold if there is enough time it warms up enough that when the time for the element to kick in occurs , it doesn't need to or it doesn't need to work as hard

Obviously in winter or cloud days it will work harder but still not as hard as a non solar geyser (you still get a bit of a shall we say solar push in winter)

So, as maybe I didn't explain properly before, and as the dude said, the term "solar" is disingenuous. It's a geyser that still runs on electricity, but has periodic warmth added to it with water being heated via a panel exposed to the sun.
you say potato i say baked potato :)
It is not like solar panels that convert sunlight into electricity.
you know when i said there are so many types?
there is even one that basically has a solar panel and a battery that generates and stores power to well power an element to eat up water
personally i dont like those, as i think the energy use to warm water directly is more efficient
And it costs a shyte load more. And I am not convinced you get your money back.
It is expensive , im not going to sugar coat it.
i will be honest and say mines currently is not working at 100% efficiency (l say 60-70 %) its a long story.
none the less at those less then efficient numbers , my average electricity usage dropped 750 - 800 units to
now 550-600 *i get some months in the 400s as well

An awesome comment. Care to comment with some heated crap?
honestly just check for @Sinbad threads and posts, if you think my savings are good , his is phenomenal
See, this is when I know you are talking utter nonsense. If you actually read the thread, you would have seen that "solar" geysers still run on electricity.
again as a back up and there are many types plenty of guys now in summer (or certain areas that are hot as hell all year round) dont use the back up at all, it does also depend on your household and how you use it. No kids people can get away with only using solar heated water, if they have 2 geysers then they can as well.

Mekon

Expert Member
I don't know about these modern solar geysers that use those glass tubes. My first house I bought in 1995 had a solar panel on the roof. Aluminium box with coper tubing inside covered with black plastic with a glass panel over that. Summer the geyser stayed off. Winter we could get away with having it on for a few hours a day.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
If it has no pump, how does water get from the geyser to the panel? Or maybe the other way around?

And as you say, there is still an element in the geyser that warms it up.

So, @ToxicBunny , while I generally agree with your posts, you have given no evidence as to what was said was wrong.

And as for him being an "idiot"; keep in mind if he wanted to just make money he could just have quoted me.
Everything he said is wrong... He's a fscking Muppet... Find a new installer.

The panels are before the geyser so water pressure and such moves the water from the panel to the geyser... Therefore the water is warmed up before it gets to the geyser and the element doesn't work as hard.

He is quoting you on an inverter.. This is a complicated system and requires more than 2 brain cells and he clearly doesn't even possess 2 brain cells if he is spouting the shyte he is about solar geysers.

ToxicBunny

So, as maybe I didn't explain properly before, and as the dude said, the term "solar" is disingenuous. It's a geyser that still runs on electricity, but has periodic warmth added to it with water being heated via a panel exposed to the sun.

It is not like solar panels that convert sunlight into electricity.

And it costs a shyte load more. And I am not convinced you get your money back.
No... It's not periodic warmth.. During summer the solar collector generates enough heat into the water so that the element doesn't ever turn on...

wingnut771

Honorary Master
No... It's not periodic warmth.. During summer the solar collector generates enough heat into the water so that the element doesn't ever turn on...
if your main geyser is cold with element off in the morning the with solar geyser heating up during the day but nobody at home using the hot water, then when you get home and have a shower, isn't the water still cold in the main geyser? does it not only flow from geyser to geyser when the taps are open? can't be, how does it work?

Splinter

Honorary Master
Everything he said is wrong... He's a fscking Muppet... Find a new installer.

The panels are before the geyser so water pressure and such moves the water from the panel to the geyser... Therefore the water is warmed up before it gets to the geyser and the element doesn't work as hard.

He is quoting you on an inverter.. This is a complicated system and requires more than 2 brain cells and he clearly doesn't even possess 2 brain cells if he is spouting the shyte he is about solar geysers.

Look dude, not sure why you are getting all aggro about this?

But I am interested in how water pressure only moves the water from the panel to the geyser when it is warm.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I set my timer to kick in the element before midnight and around 4am ( i set it for those times just in case to cover for load shedding if load shedding on the one then the other will cover etc) however most nights it doesn't need to kick in as the water is already hot from the day before, the heat loss is really low plus mines is outside (flat roof) so its more exposed then a person who has a geyser in their ceiling , none the less most nights the back up doesn't need to kick in.

So your timer has a heat gauge as well then?

And again - you set something (an electrical component?) to kick off your element - which is heated by electricity.

ToxicBunny

if your main geyser is cold with element off in the morning the with solar geyser heating up during the day but nobody at home using the hot water, then when you get home and have a shower, isn't the water still cold in the main geyser? does it not only flow from geyser to geyser when the taps are open? can't be, how does it work?
I think there is an element of pressure circulation and temp release valves and such....

I don't know the specifics of that just the during summer my geyser is off at the dB and the water is still **** hot for my morning shower.

Paul_S

Expert Member
How is this showing any savings? Where are the figures before you installed your R27000 solar geyser two years ago?

Unfortunately I didn't have the energy monitoring in place before the geyser replacement but:

1. My electricity bill dropped from between R900 to R1100 per month to around R600 to R700 per month and that is not even taking tariff increases into account.

2. Let's calculate how much hot water 36.09 kWh can generate.
My GeyserWise TSE is set to 56 degrees so assuming an average water inlet temperature of 20 degrees it would require 12.56 Kwh to heat 300 litres from 20 degrees Celcius to 56 degrees Celicus without any losses.
That means if I was only using the backup element I could heat my 300 litre solar geyser up 2.87 times per month max.
Put another way that's equivalent to heating up 862 litres of water from 20 to 56 degrees which means I'd be using only 28 litres of hot water per day. However my kids bath every day, two people shower and the domestic uses hot water for cleaning so I'm easily using around 200 litres of hot water per day.
Heating 200 litres from 20 to 56 degrees Celcius each day would require about 251 kWh per month but I'm only spending an average of 36.09 kWh per month.

I get zero electricity usage when there is no cloud cover in summer sometimes up to a couple of weeks at a time.
On a hot day the temperature reaches the high 70's and this is for flat panel collectors - not evacuated tubes.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

So your timer has a heat gauge as well then?

And again - you set something (an electrical component?) to kick off your element - which is heated by electricity.
No a geyser has a thermometer that regulates when the element turns on and off

Splinter

Honorary Master
I think there is an element of pressure circulation and temp release valves and such....

I don't know the specifics of that just the during summer my geyser is off at the dB and the water is still **** hot for my morning shower.

Ok,,,,