Solar geysers - are they a scam?

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Pity we don't get that rebate today...

It was good rebates. Mine was only R4800ish. There was already rumours that they were going to discontinue it. More people should have done this. There also use to be the options of renting to own. You rented the geyser for R250 per month (which was less than your saving) and then in 5 years you got pay an additional R800 and own it or something like that. Maybe look into if they still do this. If you don't want to continue you just took it back.

Vuilhaas

Pump kit is included, as is a solar panel and backup battery.
There could be a number of factors affecting effeciency, which include panel size, positioning (angle as well as direction), water usage, insulation etc etc. Mine is a 300l retrofit system and I get between 60 and 80 degrees most days.

Great, thanks for the info, much appreciated

Splinter

Honorary Master
so is your inverter Only a backup for load shedding / power outages or did you go with a full solar option?

I'm just going for the backup route. And I'm still going to get quotes - haven't definitely chosen them.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Nah his installer reckons solar is a scam, because at night panels radiate all your electricity back out into the sky.

I must say, one thing I've learned is that solar geyser owners are very protective over them ;)

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I must say, one thing I've learned is that solar geyser owners are very protective over them ;)

I would say its more a case of people who have half a clue get annoyed when supposed "experts" spout monumental bollocks.

I would honestly ignore any quote this "expert" gives you because he is a fscking retard and will screw the stuff up.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I would say its more a case of people who have half a clue get annoyed when supposed "experts" spout monumental bollocks.

I would honestly ignore any quote this "expert" gives you because he is a fscking retard and will screw the stuff up.

Ag, they've been good to me on other work they've done, but I have been mulling it over.

ToxicBunny

Ag, they've been good to me on other work they've done, but I have been mulling it over.

Honestly, I would get all their worked checked by somebody competent, you might get a very unpleasant surprise.

chrisc

Executive Member
If your solar collector uses thermosyphon, the simplest way to prevent hot water from flowing back to the collector at night is to install a small pump and a non-return valve

Works 100% for me

At the end of the day, the water in my tank is 65 deg. After 2 showers at night, the next morning it is 45 deg.
If I have a shower during the day and not when the sun is not shining, the water at night will be 65 deg and in the morning 57 deg

ToxicBunny

If your solar collector uses thermosyphon, the simplest way to prevent hot water from flowing back to the collector at night is to install a small pump and a non-return valve

Works 100% for me

At the end of the day, the water in my tank is 65 deg. After 2 showers at night, the next morning it is 45 deg.
If I have a shower during the day and not when the sun is not shining, the water at night will be 65 deg and in the morning 57 deg

Why would you want to interfere with the thermosyphon process?

Sinbad

Honorary Master

Works 100% for me

Hot water won't flow back to the collector - that's exactly what and how a thermosyphon works.

chrisc

Executive Member
Because someone above was worried about his hot water trickling back into the panel and cooling down, at night

Yes, but at night there is no thermosyphon action since the sun is not shining

I found my water much colder in the morning until I fitted this valve and pump

ToxicBunny

Because someone above was worried about his hot water trickling back into the panel and cooling down, at night

Yes, but at night there is no thermosyphon action since the sun is not shining

I found my water much colder in the morning until I fitted this valve and pump

I would call this 100% confirmation bias.

If you aren't using the geyser water, then your system will have zero impact on the temperature of the water in the geyser.

isie

Honorary Master
I'm just going for the backup route. And I'm still going to get quotes - haven't definitely chosen them.
just make sure whoever you go for don't connect it to the geyser
:)
na its more an annoyance when a person who supposed to be an expert sprouts some nonsense.

chrisc

Executive Member
Well, I do have an engineering degree and ran a technical business for 36 years, so understand fluid dynamics, just a teeny bit.

If the water in the geyser is substantially warmer than the water in the collector, which might occur some 3 to 4 hours after sunset, the cooler water in the collector will sink to the bottom (water chemistry) and the resultant flow will reduce the overall temperature. That is just a physical manifestation.

Its not going be like a hose pipe being turned on, but 8 hours of cooler ambient temperature will have an effect

Marsie27

Someone yesterday asked how much water they lose (presumably he/she meant from expansion as the sun heats the water: ours loses about 1 litre a day. We have a bucket below the outlet (it's in the back yard) and every few days we use the water in the garden or for loo flushing - we are in Cape Town. When our system gets to about 79 degrees it spews out a bit, presumably so that it draws in some cold water.
Over the 10 years we have had ours, the only maintenance it has needed was the replacement of the battery in the control unit in the roof. That cost R35 from Mantech - and some free labour to fetch it and solder it. We also did some preventative maintenance and replaced the non-return valve.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Honestly, I would get all their worked checked by somebody competent, you might get a very unpleasant surprise.

Actually, been chatting to the dude who has a "guy" who only supplies Mecer systems. I was still looking at them to do an inverter install. Supposedly they get at a stock price. Although, getting less and less impressed with the shyte he is spewing.

I actually asked him to come here to this forum and check out the responses. Didn't get a positive response.

ToxicBunny

Actually, been chatting to the dude who has a "guy" who only supplies Mecer systems. I was still looking at them to do an inverter install. Supposedly they get at a stock price. Although, getting less and less impressed with the shyte he is spewing.

I actually asked him to come here to this forum and check out the responses. Didn't get a positive response.
He has a 'guy'... That would set my alarm bells ringing.. Screwing with things like this is not when you trust a 'guy'...

He could still do a good job of course but I would suggest if you do choose them that you do independent research so you can know when he is spouting shyte...