Solar Geysers

Acid0

Expert Member
So with the rise of electrical bills from the municipality, I am considering either going solar, Once of payment for the installation and equipment or Gas geyser.

What is your thoughts, would like to hear from the people that actually have these installed and currently using.
Is Solar worth while or do you battle to get warm water in the winter?

I am in Jhb.

requiem

Expert Member
Getting a solar geyser was one of the best investments I made.

Spent a fair penny on it, however I only ever turn power on to the geyser it if we have a number of overcast days in a row.

qscwbt

Expert Member
here some info

spiff

Executive Member
solar geyser plus a gas geyser - never run out of hot water day or night - winter or summer - load shedding or not. fark escum!

Last edited:

IssiAmd

Have one but it came with the home so haven't bothered to calculate ROI
In summer water heating is free unless as mentioned above you get a spell of overcast days.
In winter I need to supplement the heating with some electricity but it's still far from a regular geyser.
I've heard good things about gas as well but don't have one so can't say.

GlassMirror

Expert Member
Have one but it came with the home so haven't bothered to calculate ROI
In summer water heating is free unless as mentioned above you get a spell of overcast days.
In winter I need to supplement the heating with some electricity but it's still far from a regular geyser.
I've heard good things about gas as well but don't have one so can't say.
+1 for this after initial teething problems with my solar geyser in my new flat I'm loving it so far and the savings speak for itself especially now that the warmer days are upon us. Check out my thread here on the initial issues I experienced so you can just know what to look out for when you eventually decide to get it installed
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/solarwise-geyser-controller-cant-seem-to-enable-solar-mode.1045227/#js-post-24076669

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
I installed a solar geyser about 4 years ago.

Family of 4 (2 adults two high school teens) in JNB and we shower / bath mornings and evenings. Morning in winter requires additional Eskom power for heating, but summer is generally fine.

It is convenient when there is no Eskom power to at least have warm water at night.

There is a saving on electricity, but not enough to warrant changing from a pure cost savings point of view. The geyser has a 10 year warranty and it would likely take 10 years of monthly electricity savings to pay back the initial investments, if not longer.

So, if you do it for convenience, go for it, but in my experience it has little cost savings benefit. (I suspect that demand has pushed purchase prices beyond the point where it makes sense).

I have wondered whether gas would have been better or perhaps going for two smaller geyser as opposed to the 1 x 300L.

isie

Honorary Master
So with the rise of electrical bills from the municipality, I am considering either going solar, Once of payment for the installation and equipment or Gas geyser.

What is your thoughts, would like to hear from the people that actually have these installed and currently using.

I am in Jhb.
Solar - 'Free' sun warmed Does it save you yes, but you need to be aware of how and when it saves- you not using electricity to warm water in the day (if sufficient sun) - you still need electricity on days where not enough sun, but you use less because it's just a boost as opposed to a full cold to hot. If you shower in the morning, Some nights you will need electricity if there was no warm water for whatever reason at night so to heat up in the morning. If you change to late afternoon / evening showers then you can reap the benefits and save more. If you do get a solar ensure to get a decent controller (Geyserwise or similar). Otherwise you just wasting your time and money and going to hate a solar geyser - knowing the Temp of your water makes a big difference. Big benefit if no power at least the water is warm (if day was good) - of course there are so many different types you need to know what you getting - (PV, EV, Direct, indirect, TH, Pump (12/240v) etc)

Gas - Almost instant hot water - you still paying just for the gas and not to eskom and the saving is water is only heated when used so its not heated and stored but having unlimited supply of hot water , can end up costly depending on how you use it. many different types as well (Forced fan, , Batter ignited etc)

You could combine the 2 as well and then never use electricity to heat water.

I have A solar for our bathrooms and a gas for the kitchen works out for me since the kitchen was far from the geyser so wasted water just getting to the kitchen.

Marsie27

There have been a couple of threads on solar geysers, probably worth taking a look at, OP. I have given our electricity consumption stats pre and post solar geyser (5 years pre and almost 10 years post). We have just incurred our first direct expense - the battery for the control panel in the roof died. The new one cost R35.

Acid0

Expert Member
Thanks for all the replies.

I have asked as most of the threads are between 3 - 5 years old so a lot could have changed between that period

But I guess a combination of solar and gas might be the answer.

Marsie27

Has anyone retro-fitted a solar kit to an existing geyser - please share your input.

TIA
Yes, we had that done coming up for 10 years ago. Still using the same geyser. There have been a couple of threads to which I (and plenty others) have contributed - maybe do a search, but feel free to ask specific questions.
I have just looked at our panel. 72 degrees so plenty of hot water for tonight despite Eskom.

Ianvn

Have you thought about getting a grid-tie inverter with 2 solar panels instead.

That way you generate power to supplement your power usage for your whole house during the day (which would include your geyser), because if you shower/bath at night you will still use eskom to warm the geyser to have hot water in the morning.

A setup like this is about 1/2 of 1/3 of the cost of a retrofit/full solar geyser

One drawback is that if eskom is down your solar panels means nothing.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Has anyone retro-fitted a solar kit to an existing geyser - please share your input.

TIA
Well it was a new installation, but you can do this to most normal geysers with a pumped 12V indirect system. It works well.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member

I am in Jhb.
Totally worth it. Summer, almost no electricity used to heat water.In winter, some element boosting required, but that's because the missus likes liquid lava showers. I would be fine with 45C water (in winter).

yebocan

Honorary Master
Thanks for all the replies.

I have asked as most of the threads are between 3 - 5 years old so a lot could have changed between that period

But I guess a combination of solar and gas might be the answer.
Couple of months back geyser thermostat went , got that fixed and then something else went...so decided to overhaul the whole damn water heating setup. Did a bit of research, - gas geyser was cheaper and an ideal solution ...found a registered installer on facebook market....now : instant hot water, electricity bill does not require to be monitored and no geyser bursts events in the future..

Stokstert

Executive Member
Have you thought about getting a grid-tie inverter with 2 solar panels instead.

That way you generate power to supplement your power usage for your whole house during the day (which would include your geyser), because if you shower/bath at night you will still use eskom to warm the geyser to have hot water in the morning.

A setup like this is about 1/2 of 1/3 of the cost of a retrofit/full solar geyser

One drawback is that if eskom is down your solar panels means nothing.
Why? The sun is still shining and if you use a pumped system I would suggest to also install a PV panel to feed the pump.

144Vuma

TIA
Yes i did two months ago. It works unbelievably well. Spent about R14k on a 20 EV tube system (i have a 200 litre geyser), and they came and did the installation (company is Solar Guru), which took about half the day. My average water temparature by the time i get back to work ranges between 60 and 70 degrees. I also put on a geyser blanket (R400 at Builders) on my geyser to help retain heat at night.

My current electricity bill is between R400 and R500 pm. We have a gas stove. This is a family of 3 and house is a 3 bed, 2 bath.

unobeat

Have a solar geyser and it came with the house.
In winter yes i do need to switch on Eskom to heat up the water as the temps drop but in summer i never really need to switch on electricity part of it as we are rather a small family of 3 (2 adults and a 2 year old).

Speedster

Executive Member
I retrofitted 2 years back. It's really easy (although you probably need a plumber as there is some pipework that needs to be done). Managed to pick up the panels pretty cheap and had the plumber hook it all up. As others said in spring through autumn I hardly use any electricity for water heating and in winter I use significantly less than I used to. Also, apart from winter, there is more than enough sun heated water for both me and the wife to shower in the morning after the kids' evening bath. (in winter geyserwise ensures Eskom helps out).e.g this morning the geyser is at 58 degrees.

I have two 150l geysers hooked up in series for our family of 5. Return on investment is about 18 months, so I've already made my money back a couple of months ago.