Solar power is much cheaper than Eskom - Expert

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

A solar installation can produce electricity at roughly half the price Eskom currently charges South African households, NuPower’s Murray van Graan revealed.

This makes solar power with battery backups a popular option in South Africa, which is blessed with lots of sunshine but cursed with an unstable electricity supply.

AchmatK

Executive Member
Solar plus storage has been cheaper than Eskom for a while now.

In a worst case scenario where i need to replace everything in 10 years it will still work out to R1.60/kWh vs R2.50 from CoCT.

Panels should last 25 years, inverter also has a 25 year design life and batteries needs replacing in 10 years or 6 000 cycles.

Little Mac

Honorary Master

In a worst case scenario where i need to replace everything in 10 years it will still work out to R1.60/kWh vs R2.50 from CoCT.

Panels should last 25 years, inverter also has a 25 year design life and batteries needs replacing in 10 years or 6 000 cycles.
I'm keen to see if people will still be using the same panels and inverters in 25 years time when the tech has moved on significantly.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Depends entirely on usage, in order for me to break even it would take over 10 years. I only use about R1000 a month on electricity.

rietrot

Honorary Master

Well now if the government needs to install it at a large scale and there's an opportunity for tendepreneurship that all goes out the window.

I'm sure coal power is probably the cheapest , and look at how we fscked that up.

AchmatK

Executive Member
I'm keen to see if people will still be using the same panels and inverters in 25 years time when the tech has moved on significantly.
New tech will also probably reduce prices further.

A few years ago a 300w solar panel would go for R3k whereas today you can get them for R1 500. Lithium batteries has also come down over the years. R28k vs R19k for 3.5 kwh of lithium. Inverter prices have remained relatively stable.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Hmm, R90k (as NuPower's special) for 10 units a day with a 3kVA inverter and 2kW backup is a current value of R750 per month for the 10 years if you only use those 10 units. For the same in CoCT it will cost you R635 current value on the home user tarrif. And with CoCT you don't have to worry about when you use your electricity.

Still doesn't feel worth it to me. I am not at home when the electricity gets generated and will only use the 2kW battery, which I guess I can upgrade

AchmatK

Executive Member
Well now if the government needs to install it at a large scale and there's an opportunity for tendepreneurship that all goes out the window.

I'm sure coal power is probably the cheapest , and look at how we fscked that up.
For large scale grid utility supply, coal would be the cheapest.

For the residential market it would be cheaper to self provision than buying from the utility company.

AchmatK

Executive Member
Hmm, R90k (as NuPower's special) for 10 units a day with a 3kVA inverter and 2kW backup is a current value of R750 per month for the 10 years if you only use those 10 units. For the same in CoCT it will cost you R635 current value on the home user tarrif. And with CoCT you don't have to worry about when you use your electricity
It becomes less cost effective the smaller you go. The sweet spot is 20kwh per day so if you are using 10kwh per day you are better off just buying from CoCT or Eskom.

Also i would not go with their system as you can get the components cheaper by shopping around.

AchmatK

Executive Member
Depends entirely on usage, in order for me to break even it would take over 10 years. I only use about R1000 a month on electricity.
I think we need to move on from the break even thinking.

Electricity is a basic need. Either you cough up and pay the utility rate that is guaranteed to increase every year or self provision for cheaper.

Best I could get my consumption down to is 25kWh per day where I start sacrificing on my needs of living in a modern electricity driven world. Currently averaging 45kWh per day.

karnuffel

Expert Member
What bothers me the most of the move to solar and batteries is the waste that we will end up with in 10 years time. What will happen to all these batteries?

Thor

Honorary Master
Batteries are not.

Solar is 30% of the equation.

You need Batteries, You need Distribution and You need Conversion.

Solar is cheap, the rest is not.

Eskom is still the cheapest form of electricity we have.

Wag

Expert Member
What bothers me the most of the move to solar and batteries is the waste that we will end up with in 10 years time. What will happen to all these batteries?
Hand it over to the ANC, they will destroy it in no time.

erastus

A solar installation can produce electricity at roughly half the price Eskom currently charges South African households, NuPower’s Murray van Graan revealed.

This makes solar power with battery backups a popular option in South Africa, which is blessed with lots of sunshine but cursed with an unstable electricity supply.
I think you must recheck the cost. I have converted to grid tied. Pushing back in the grid. My solar system installation etc cost R60K FOR GRID TIE.
You are scaring people off with these mighty high pricing.

Currently I am getting money back from COCT and since October I already saved R12 640 that I did not have to pay COCT. Less than 2 years and you have full recovery

There is a far better and more cost effective way of doing things

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I think you must recheck the cost. I have converted to grid tied. Pushing back in the grid. My solar system installation etc cost R60K FOR GRID TIE.
You are scaring people off with these mighty high pricing.

Currently I am getting money back from COCT and since October I already saved R12 640 that I did not have to pay COCT. Less than 2 years and you have full recovery

There is a far better and more cost effective way of doing things
What is the rate you get back?
What and how much was the meter?
Process of registering?

erastus

Recycling.
Get your facts straight.
There is not a single battery in SA that does not get recycled. Read the news they break in to steal and sell the lead.

We can't help that you are ignorant batteries has been recycle since day 1. Even if they only used it for sinkers for fisherman,.

I am sure you do not have a cell phone as there is a battery inside the phone. The most batteries produced in the world are for cell phone. If you have a cell phone get rid of it and get rid of your car both have batteries.