Soldier Stoned to Death for Alleged Affair in Pakistan

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
A soldier has been stoned to death in Pakistan's restive tribal northwest over allegations of an affair with a teenage girl, officials said Wednesday.

A tribal council in the town of Parachinar, close to the Afghan border in Kurram district, ordered the sentence on Anwar-ud Din, who was about 25 years old, for having "illicit relations" with a local girl.

"There were some 40 to 50 people who hit the man with stones till he bled to death," a local tribesman told AFP on condition of anonymity.

Relations between men and women without family approval are considered immoral by many in Pakistan, particularly in the deeply conservative northwestern tribal areas, where Taliban and Al-Qaeda linked militants have strongholds.

Hundreds are killed around the country each year in the name of defending family "honour", but stonings are extremely rare.

Din was accused of having an affair with an 18-year-old girl and meeting her secretly, but both were caught on Sunday in a graveyard, the tribesman told AFP.

The soldier admitted he had met the girl three or more times before and the punishment was carried out on Tuesday in the graveyard where the pair were discovered, the tribesman said, adding that the body was later taken to hospital.

Local government and security officials confirmed the incident, but declined to comment.

The fate of the girl remains unclear, but there were rumours in the area that she may also be executed, although she denied the affair, the tribesman said.

A hospital official confirmed that they had received a mutilated body on Tuesday, which was later taken away by paramilitary forces.

"It was really a horrific sight. The body had been badly damaged after being hit by stones. Wounds all over and the face could no longer be recognised," the official said.

Pakistan's seven tribal districts bordering Afghanistan do not have a regular legal system and justice is dispensed according to tribal and Islamic custom by councils of elders.

Source : Sapa-AFP /pk
Date : 13 Mar 2013 10:12

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Although very B.C. this sounds similar to the African Kangaroo style courts that are still prevalent in SA/Africa.

Religious beliefs, elders, traditional healers and witch doctors are the law and they carry out sentencing weather humane or not and have no regard for the laws of the country.

Not that this crime is deserving of the punishment I sometimes wonder if these "courts" aren't more effective then ours and their policing isn't also more effective, well at least for the rural areas. This is not a factual thought just wondering - open minded.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Although very B.C. this sounds similar to the African Kangaroo style courts that are still prevalent in SA/Africa.

Religious beliefs, elders, traditional healers and witch doctors are the law and they carry out sentencing weather humane or not and have no regard for the laws of the country.

Not that this crime is deserving of the punishment I sometimes wonder if these "courts" aren't more effective then ours and their policing isn't also more effective, well at least for the rural areas. This is not a factual thought just wondering - open minded.

Yes, very possible that they are similar styles of Mob Justice. The only difference is the religious element. And nothing justifies mob justice in either country.

Last edited:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

Not sure how you can consider a kangaroo court more effective than an actual court that follows due process, allows the accused to defend themselves and requires evidence.

It reminds me of that Louis Theroux documentary "Law & Disorder in Johannesburg" where some guy was hacked to death in some township for some or other crime. He, seemingly dumbfounded by the practice, asks a bystander what happened. The guy says they killed him because he did something or other. Louis asks him how he knows the guy was actually guilty. Dude gives him a blank stare and says "they say he did it". To me, that aptly illustrates why such a system is barbaric, fundamentally untrustworthy and has no place in a society that hopes to better itself.

porchrat

Honorary Master
You just read an article about a man being brutally stoned to death with no real evidence against him. I don't see how you can still be wondering if mob justice is more effective than our criminal justice system.

Yes I readily admit that our criminal justice system isn't perfect, it is slow and in some cases those with money and influence can beat the system, but this is whole other level of sick. Inconsistent revenge based penalties meted out by angry ignorant villagers with little to no evidence to base their accusations on is not the way to go.

Everyone deserves his/her day in a court. I certainly would want my day in court as opposed to being beaten to death by a bunch of maniacs based on allegations.