Solidarity: grants are unsustainable; labour regulations must be scrapped

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Solidarity: grants are unsustainable; labour regulations must be scrapped

Trade union Solidarity has called on the government to scrap restrictive regulations such as the minimum wage and BEE to let businesses thrive and help with economic growth.

Solidarity has also criticized the reinstating of the social relief of distress grant to provide a monthly payment of R350 until the end of March 2022.

wroemwroem

CPEUE3m.png

Edit: For the kids here, this comes from Shrek 1; source <-- Amazing intro. Also I reduced the image size, sorry!

Last edited:

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I don't employ anyone anymore either. I contract them per job. We negotiate the price and they get paid as per the negotiations. No UIF, tax or medical worries for me.

Yip, and with many people permanently working from home it's become much easier to justify treating them as independent contractors too. The less people you can have on your payroll the better.

Neuk_

Executive Member
There already is a two-tier economy in South Africa. Many businesses simply ignore BEE and do business amongst themselves.

Unfortunately, BEE does not only impact business that does work directly with or for government entities, BEE requirements often filter down to smaller companies.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Unfortunately, BEE does not only impact business that does work directly with or for government entities, BEE requirements often filter down to smaller companies.

Businesses can choose who they do business with. The more businesses that choose not to participate in BEE, the easier it is to ignore BEE. The best way to fight BEE is to refuse to be part of it and to only deal with other businesses that refuse to be part of it.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Yip, and with many people permanently working from home it's become much easier to justify treating them as independent contractors too. The less people you can have on your payroll the better.

The nice thing about independently contracting a gardener is that you don't need to stick to the casual / permanent employee hours per week nor the minimum wage.

When they hear of your idea and the job to be done, they try to load the price. It's easy to negotiate down regarding supply of tools and other factors. You don't even need to supervise working hours or breaks as the person is paid by agreed results.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Businesses can choose who they do business with. The more businesses that choose not to participate in BEE, the easier it is to ignore BEE. The best way to fight BEE is to refuse to be part of it and to only deal with other businesses that refuse to be part of it.

While I agree in principal, in South Africa's economic climate, there are not many businesses who can easily choose who they do business with, many would simply go out of business. I have seen companies do this though, most had overseas customers so they simply focused on their export business and told local business to get knotted if they came looking for a BEE rated supplier.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
While I agree in principal, in South Africa's economic climate, there are not many businesses who can easily choose who they do business with, many would simply go out of business. I have seen companies do this though, most had overseas customers so they simply focused on their export business and told local business to get knotted if they came looking for a BEE rated supplier.

This is true too. Although it's also much easier to ignore BEE if you're in the B2C space than if you're in the B2B space. Consumers don't give a crap about whether you're BEE-compliant or not.