Some advice for new and newish players joining DoTa2

St3baS

Hi Guys,

I've been seeing a lot of new people joining in the awesomeness which is Dota 2 and I'd just like to give some advice for all the beginners and mediocre players out there.

Edit:
"You are going to have to have thick skin to play Dota 2. To get around this major barrier of entry, PLAY AGAINST THE BOTS WHEN YOU FIRST START. The Bots will not rage at you, they won’t care if you feed. They will teach you the heroes by destroying you with them, and no one has to know." - Welcome to Dota you suck.

First of all, Use this website : http://dota2alttab.com/ It will give you a major edge over other players that might be following the in game recommended items which in my opinion are a bit weird at times... Also this site has short guides about how each of the heroes should be played as well as giving you the skill set you should be using.

This is by no means the absolute best way in which a hero should be played but its a great starting point and I always use it with heroes I don't play often. Follow the guides and you will be a better player already.

A good read for someone new to the game is http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck ... It has all the information about how you need to approach this game and begin your journey to Dota greatness. This game can be intimidating and you may be discouraged by other players flaming you for your noobiness but the simple solution is to mute them immediately... Having said that, advice and criticism may seem like someone is bitching and moaning at you but they may very well have a valid point. Take the advice, learn from mistakes and you will become a better player much faster.

Beginners are always falling far behind in levels and as a result they get annihilated later on in the game... To stop this from happening always ALWAYS use Town portal scrolls... If you've got the 135gold to spend on it... spend it... Its literally 3 creep last hits and you've made your money back and the experience that you didn't miss out on because you were smart enough to TP back to the lane is invaluable.

This site http://skyride.org/dota-2-config-generator/ will generate a config for you that will give you some extra help and customization to your game. Some of these are really useful when starting out like the "Hero Range Indicator" ( if you set it to 1200 then a circle is drawn around your hero which will indicate the range for which you will get XP from creep deaths) and the "Show spell range" ( This will draw a line to your cursor that will indicate if you're in range to cast the spell or not ). There is an example of each of the commands on the page.

I hope this helps and I cant wait to see more South Africans in game :)

Represent SA with your steam profile pic: http://i.imgur.com/xgqY6.jpg

Last edited:

ArchieChoke

Hi Guys,

I've been seeing a lot of new people joining in the awesomeness which is Dota 2 and I'd just like to give some advice for all the beginners and mediocre players out there.

First of all, Use this website : http://dota2alttab.com/ It will give you a major edge over other players that might be following the in game recommended items which in my opinion are a bit weird at times... Also this site has short guides about how each of the heroes should be played as well as giving you the skill set you should be using.

This is by no means the absolute best way in which a hero should be played but its a great starting point and I always use it with heroes I don't play often. Follow the guides and you will be a better player already.

A good read for someone new to the game is http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck ... It has all the information about how you need to approach this game and begin your journey to Dota greatness. This game can be intimidating and you may be discouraged by other players flaming you for your noobiness but the simple solution is to mute them immediately... Having said that, advice and criticism may seem like someone is bitching and moaning at you but they may very well have a valid point. Take the advice, learn from mistakes and you will become a better player much faster.

Beginners are always falling far behind in levels and as a result they get annihilated later on in the game... To stop this from happening always ALWAYS use Town portal scrolls... If you've got the 135gold to spend on it... spend it... Its literally 3 creep last hits and you've made your money back and the experience that you didn't miss out on because you were smart enough to TP back to the lane is invaluable.

This site http://skyride.org/dota-2-config-generator/ will generate a config for you that will give you some extra help and customization to your game. Some of these are really useful when starting out like the "Hero Range Indicator" ( if you set it to 1200 then a circle is drawn around your hero which will indicate the range for which you will get XP from creep deaths) and the "Show spell range" ( This will draw a line to your cursor that will indicate if you're in range to cast the spell or not ). There is an example of each of the commands on the page.

I hope this helps and I cant wait to see more South Africans in game :)

Represent SA: http://i.imgur.com/xgqY6.jpg

Hey
I like your attempt to bring new players into a more competitive scene.However I still believe new players should play more co-op bot games.Read the site recommendations and test them against bots.

The reason why is for one, yesterday I got tired of dealing with the Russian Dota 2 beta bug where you always play with russians so got some players from the RSA chat channel. I was left alone top playing Lycanthrope from start against, Bounty Hunter and Wind runner.
Well guess what,1 creep kill at lvl 6 with bh freefarmed for +- 10 mins, decided to leave the tower since no one ever came top to assist, finally at end game and everyone ranting that I suck (Considering that they only got 1 kill in ten mins).....I love it when new people believe that cause a player is not doing well is cause they suck.

Not cause of other factors, I.e. a Range + Melee vs a Melee = Outplayed. or Higher base damage vs lower base damage = No farm for Lower base damage.

Anyways, nice find on the Dota 2 Config Generator..
Will use the network graph.

Last edited:

Wyzak

Expert Member
Ignore what every arrogant dimwit says who tries to order you around and try to enjoy the game for as long as you can. This is probably the most abusive and newbie unfriendly community in existence.

Good luck :D

St3baS

Hey
I like your attempt to bring new players into a more competitive scene.However I still believe new players should play more co-op bot games.Read the site recommendations and test them against bots.

The reason why is for one, yesterday I got tired of dealing with the Russian Dota 2 beta bug where you always play with russians so got some players from the RSA chat channel. I was left alone top playing Lycanthrope from start against, Bounty Hunter and Wind runner.
Well guess what,1 creep kill at lvl 6 with bh freefarmed for +- 10 mins, decided to leave the tower since no one ever came top to assist, finally at end game and everyone ranting that I suck (Considering that they only got 1 kill in ten mins).....I love it when new people believe that cause a player is not doing well is cause they suck.

Not cause of other factors, I.e. a Range + Melee vs a Melee = Outplayed. or Higher base damage vs lower base damage = No farm for Lower base damage.

Haha ok yes, Bot games are definitely the way to start... Ill add a quote from "welcome to dota you suck" to my original post.

chan0o

This is true:
Ignore what every arrogant dimwit says who tries to order you around and try to enjoy the game for as long as you can. This is probably the most abusive and newbie unfriendly community in existence.

Good luck :D
There's always someone screaming at another if a gank goes bad.

Best is to play with friends to teach you the ins and outs before joining an online match.