Some Guidance on a new Solar System Please

Igor III

I am not sure if I should have posted this request in "Mike's (non-Sunsynk) System thread (I intend going the Sunsynk route) or in "Snyper's Solar Farm" thread. I have learnt a lot from the info in both threads, albeit it was just enough to make me curious and push me towards the "Light Side" :cool: I finally decided to go with a separate thread and do apologize if it was an incorrect move on my part.

Having recently built a new house (~210 sqm) near George (actually in Mosselbay, but I am on the George border - Groot Brakrivier), I am ready to commit to go solar. We are a family of three adults and I am sure come December, the number of occupants will grow for a short period :D

Went with a gas water heater (Paloma) and a gas stove (electric oven though). All the lights are LED's. I have not yet ordered the other major appliances (Dishwasher (leaning towards the Bosch Series 4), Washing Machine and Tumble Dryer. We do have a 10kg Speed Queen for the odd heavy loads, but will keep it off the solar system as it does dim the lights when it kicks in . . . . .

In addition to the normal small appliance, we have to gaming PC's running pretty long hours and two smart TV's. All in all my monthly electricity consumption is not excessive (could even be deemed moderate) ~600 kWh. There is no swimming pool, nor plans for one, as I have a massive pool ~300m from my front door :barefoot:

I recently spoke to a supplier/installer in George and was quoted the following:

1 x Sunsynk 5.5K Hybrid Inverter
10 x 450W - 460W Solar Panels (I believe he mentioned either JA Solar, Canadian or Longi - mono perc, but still trying to confirm if it will be half-cells . . . . . he seems to dance around this question a bit).
1 x 10.2kwh 51.2v 202 Ah Lithium Ion Battery - Revov R9 - second life
Plus all the extras needed to connect and mount the system.

Any comments/advice, regarding the proposed system and/or my changes would be greatly appreciated (the roof is tiled and north facing - NNW to be exact).

My changes to the quote is:

Change the battery to two Hubble AM-2 51v 5.5kWh units (I feel the extra 7K on the price will be worth it, based on what I read on this forum).
I am also seriously considering changing the 5.5K Sunsynk to a 8.8K unit (for an additional 12K), which might be needed for future system upgrades.

Suggestions on which major appliances to look at (i.e. Dishwasher, Tumble Dryer and Washing Machine) will also be welcomed.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
If you don't mind the extra cost then the 8kw inverter would be nice. You can have more things running at once, and it also allows you to add more panels than the 5kw one before you need another inverter.

Would definitely replace the batteries with a more well known brand, and Hubble gives you the best value at the moment. Reason being firstly more widely available support, and secondly if you need to add more batteries then you won't have an issue procuring it from most suppliers. With lesser known brands you'll be limited to fewer suppliers.

Maybe also add a few more panels if you can. This helps during cloudy weather.

Good luck!

Mzezman

Expert Member
You're on the right track, and if money isnt a limiting factor then rather get the 8kw and a couple more panels. This last week in GP we had mainly overcast days and with my additional panels i was able to run the house and charge up the battery bank.

If money IS a factor then the 5kw should be fine to run the house but it does limit you should your needs increase

Igor III

Thanks for the inputs thus far - money is a factor, but the Hubble Batteries, 8K Inverter and two more panels is still within my budget (if 2 more panels will do it ofc) - If I need more than than 2 additional panels (say 4), it is still manageable, but then some of my other "less important" projects will have to be sacrificed, as I feel going solar is the top priority for now.

Mzezman

Expert Member
Thanks for the inputs thus far - money is a factor, but the Hubble Batteries, 8K Inverter and two more panels is still within my budget (if 2 more panels will do it ofc) - If I need more than than 2 additional panels (say 4), it is still manageable, but then some of my other "less important" projects will have to be sacrificed, as I feel going solar is the top priority for now.
Then go for the upgrades mate.. last thing you need is to be telling the adults to limit use because the inverter and panels can't handle...

The great thing about these systems is that they are modular so if you get access to more funds, adding panels and batteries is relatively straight forward