Some Huawei smartphone owners are seeing adverts on their lock screens

sgs

Woke up to booking.com staring at me yesterday morning. Mate 20 Lite.
I've disabled magazine lock and rather added a fixed image.

I assume any app could hijack the magazine unlock library. However, I don't have booking.com installed, and don't see anything else that I would suspect to be the culprit. I'm betting this came straight from Huawei's servers. (Unless their DNS got hijacked in certain regions.)

op365

Wait till you try using another launcher...
My Nova was crawling to a stand still and memory usage showing only like 800Mb free with the standard launcher.
Installed Microsoft Launcher and immediately 2.1 - 1.8Gb free memory and phone performance like a brand new phone... Remember nothing other than the launcher changed...
And then the fun began...
Huawei OS started crashing the launcher randomly and then defaulted to EMUI and RAM usage and performance worsens.
Now I am not one for conspiracy theories but the Huawei software and OS are definitely doing something in the background and killing this phone.
Last Huawei I will be purchasing...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
My Nova was crawling to a stand still and memory usage showing only like 800Mb free with the standard launcher.
Installed Microsoft Launcher and immediately 2.1 - 1.8Gb free memory and phone performance like a brand new phone... Remember nothing other than the launcher changed...
Huawei OS started crashing the launcher randomly and then defaulted to EMUI and RAM usage and performance worsens.
Now I am not one for conspiracy theories but the Huawei software and OS are definitely doing something in the background and killing this phone.
Been using Nova launcher for a year now with no problems. Only slowed down the last week probably because of a memory leak somewhere. Rebooted it and saw Emui 9.1 is out. Did that and it's good as new again.

c3n0byt3

Strange. I remember having this issue but for the charging screen.
Huawei and Samsung (it's all I've tried).
It stopped after some updates.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Hmmm

I did a factory reset on my Huawei phablet recently, and installed Nova.

No crashing issues - yet. No adverts as well.

Apps installed :

*cough* popcorntime *cough*
Firefox
Chrome
F-droid (due to some apps in the Play store not installing)
JuiceSSH
Whatsapp
Telegram
Capitec Bank
The Pawn, Guild of Thieves, Jinxter
RD Client Beta
Text Fiction (Zork etc)
Tux Paint
VLC
WorldScribe
Nova Launcher
OpenVPN

I don't use 3G at all, only wifi behind a firewall...

Xiaomi device - no problem.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Maybe not Huawei, but probably somebody doing silly buggery stuff to damage Huawei's reputation further.

Remember those hoaxes going out regarding Fast Food A being totally from genetically-modified meat or the such, just to damage the reputation of Fast Food A? I think it is what is happening here.

Dups!

Don't have such issues on my Huawei P30. I had themes with the words "Booking.com" emblazoned on the screen when you select certain themes on my P smart. I never liked those themes so I uninstalled those theme pictures. Never had an issue like that on the P smart either.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Ah, so it was huawei through booking.com then.

This issue should be resolved now.

Going to be interesting to see what happens going forward.

daneza

Do tell me, does the voda bloatware still include that maggoty meerkat?
Thankfully not. That meerkat was putrid.
Just their app store, and games, videos and music apps. And the depressing boot animation that reminds you how much you're being ripped off every time you switch on your phone.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
How did Huawei serve the ads, I guess one must have an enabled Huawei ID? Basically, the default wallpapers were switched out with Booking.com ads. They have a partnership since 2016,

https://news.booking.com/bookingcom...ation-category-app-on-huawei-phones-globally/

Booking.com Partners with Huawei to Become First Pre-Installed Travel and Accommodation Category App on Huawei Phones Globally
Fan Zhang, Director of Consumer Cloud Service User Operation Product Dept,Huawei Consumer BG, said, “At Huawei we want to make life as effortless as possible for our customers, giving them access to everything they need with one simple touch. By pre-installing the Booking.com app our customers can enjoy travelling round the world with minimum stress; whether they be in Singapore, Spain or Seattle.

“Booking.com is the perfect platform to partner with, particularly with the new P9. Together Huawei and Booking.com will change the way consumers travel and see the world.”
also changing the way consumers will see ads... my P20 Lite came with Booking.com pre-installed, but I don't use default wallpapers for my lock screen so I didn't notice anything. I guess changing the launcher may have also disabled the ads. Huawei definitely didn't enable this by mistake, the question is whether they have a contractual obligation towards Booking.com for this functionality for serving ads?

Glad they disabled it, but this can't be worse than the Vodacom bloatware (see it also being mentioned in this thread)?