Some Monday perspective

antowan

Honorary Master
The scientists leading our SARS-CoV2 response are world-renowned for their research in the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Which country on earth has the most HIV infected people on the planet?

Lupus

Honorary Master
The scientists leading our SARS-CoV2 response are world-renowned for their research in the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Which country on earth has the most HIV infected people on the planet?
Well it's not like anyone is listening to them anymore anyway. Also if you're looking at total numbers it is us, but if you're looking at the per million basis Botswana is higher than us. But they have a tiny population so their 400k is high for them.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Well it's not like anyone is listening to them anymore anyway. Also if you're looking at total numbers it is us, but if you're looking at the per million basis Botswana is higher than us. But they have a tiny population so their 400k is high for them.

The 1st problem is there are so many "experts" out there, and every tom, dick and harry has social media account of some form or other to spread their personal little narratives that it is now just information overload , with the majority of that information being garbage.
The 2nd problem is unfortunately the nutters and fear mongers all too often have the ears of the establishment at their finger tips.
Its the 2nd problem we have to be concerned about.

Azg

Expert Member
The main source of HIV infection is unprotected sex with an HIV infected person. How do you blame this on the scientists?

antowan

Honorary Master
Per million we are 4th. Total number, #1.

antowan

Honorary Master
The main source of HIV infection is unprotected sex with an HIV infected person. How do you blame this on the scientists?

I'm not blaming anybody. What I am saying is, they scienced the **** out of that virus and it didn't help. We shouldn't expect any different now.

silentc

I'm not blaming anybody. What I am saying is, they scienced the **** out of that virus and it didn't help. We shouldn't expect any different now.
HIV+ people are these days able to lead perfectly normal lives as long as they take their meds and are careful of spreading their bodily fluids. What exactly is your point? Do you not want life to go back to normal?

antowan

Honorary Master
HIV+ people are these days able to lead perfectly normal lives as long as they take their meds and are careful of spreading their bodily fluids. What exactly is your point? Do you not want life to go back to normal?

Okay. Let me spell it out.

We had the best leading us during the aids pandemic and we ended up worst for wear in the world.

Those same people are leading us now. Being led by the best doesn't mean we can expect a different or "best" outcome.

dlk001

Executive Member
We did not end with the worst HIV numbers because of the best leadership by scientists.

Case Example. It was not those best scientists who made Mbeki be an HIV/AIDS denialist.

We were led by ANC, and we are still led by ANC. That is probably a better Monday perspective.