Some Monday perspective

MightyQuin

Not amused...
The scientists leading our SARS-CoV2 response are world-renowned for their research in the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Which country on earth has the most HIV infected people on the planet?
Stupid, ignorant people are the cause of high HIV numbers in South Africa, not bad scientists.

antowan

Honorary Master
We did not end with the worst HIV numbers because of the best leadership by scientists.

Case Example. It was not those best scientists who made Mbeki be an HIV/AIDS denialist.

We were led by ANC, and we are still led by ANC. That is probably a better Monday perspective.
We did not end with the worst HIV numbers because of the best leadership by scientists.

Case Example. It was not those best scientists who made Mbeki be an HIV/AIDS denialist.

We were led by ANC, and we are still led by ANC. That is probably a better Monday perspective.

I think it is more our society and how seriously it takes personal health responsibilities. Government isn't in the bedroom... ;)

ponder

Honorary Master
Okay. Let me spell it out.

We had the best leading us during the aids pandemic and we ended up worst for wear in the world.

Those same people are leading us now. Being led by the best doesn't mean we can expect a different or "best" outcome.

The who & the best spoke but were ignored and instead went with Dr Beetroot & Thabo the denialists. That's besides the idiots believing it was a man made virus designed to kill Africans which still goes around today.

EDIT: Just to add had the gov not been taking to court wrt hiv treatment people would probably still be using beetroot, garlic & traditional medicine.
Wonder how long before we latch on to the Madagascan tea cure.

Last edited:

silentc

Okay. Let me spell it out.

We had the best leading us during the aids pandemic and we ended up worst for wear in the world.

Those same people are leading us now. Being led by the best doesn't mean we can expect a different or "best" outcome.
Probably the largest contributor to SA's HIV rates is people not keeping their legs closed - nothing to do with the scientists.
Dumbass human behaviour led to the spread of HIV/Aids, as much as it will lead to the spread of Sars-CoV2, notwithstanding the dystopian lockdown .

Take your BuT thE sCieNtiStS elsewhere and tsek.

antowan

Honorary Master
Probably the largest contributor to SA's HIV rates is people not keeping their legs closed - nothing to do with the scientists.
Dumbass human behaviour led to the spread of HIV/Aids, as much as it will lead to the spread of Sars-CoV2, notwithstanding the dystopian lockdown .

Take your BuT thE sCieNtiStS elsewhere and tsek.

Tsek yourself man! ;)

Rosaudio

First Officer
Does SA have the best HIV/AIDS scientists because of the high rate of infection there?

Or,

Does SA have a high rate of infection because the HIV/AIDS scientists aren't as good as people think they are?

antowan

Honorary Master
Does SA have the best HIV/AIDS scientists because of the high rate of infection there?

Or,

Does SA have a high rate of infection because the HIV/AIDS scientists aren't as good as people think they are?

I don't know. You tell me.

antowan

Honorary Master
I haven't lived in SA for 7 years, so you're probably in a better position to answer that.

This is after all, your thread - to which i'm still trying to understand the point.
I have faith that they are great. I think the problem is society. We suck at doing what is necessary to break viral links. For some reason South Africa has a propensity to suffer acutely from viral outbreaks. I am fearful for what is about to come. So being led by the best doesn't make a difference to the outcome. Perhaps if they are making a difference they are saving us from a horrific tragedy, leaving us with a plain tragedy.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I think it is more our society and how seriously it takes personal health responsibilities. Government isn't in the bedroom... ;)
Look at the example that leaders set.
Zuma and his infinite children
McSweaty and his nekkid virgins parade
Etc etc...