Someone tried to scam me... wtf

Daruk

Honorary Master
They aren't getting involved intentionally.
Many people use Ubers as a makeshift courier
Yeah, that'll go down like a bag of cement with the law if they're busted for dealing drugs. It's up to them to know what and who they're dealing with.

Daruk

Honorary Master
These Africans are fcking ruthless. I had a friend who got involved with a group of scammers. These guys make thousands fleecing people on Gumtree and the likes. I've even heard the voice recordings of how they laugh at people trying to get hold of them after they discover they've been scammed.
I was fleeced by an elderly white afrikaans couple. Same thing - they thought it was amusing when I handed the phone to the cops to get info out of them.

Mosgi

I was nearly scammed when selling my car back in 2013 by a German dude, posing as a buyer, who had cash and needed me to drive him about while he tried to buy uncut diamonds from Angola. He flashed a cooler box full of cash, and the other guy the diamond themselves.

The number of players and commitment to the plan including meeting one of the guys outside the Police station was insane.

In the end I was just pleased in getting to watch a great show, with lovely actors...

Colin62

Executive Member
When I sold my house in 1996, I had a cash buyer who was going to pay the asking price - no haggling.

But he needed to sell some diamonds first, and couldn’t have the buyer and seller meet because then his cut wouldn’t be enough to pay for the house. So I was supposed to go with him to the seller and pose as the buyer to get the diamonds and then go to the buyer and he would do all the selling and everything would be wonderful. He also didn’t have a car and needed a lift - which was basically a ploy to get me alone so that he could convince me to do the deal with him. I ended up giving him a lift to Eastgate to get rid of him.

RedViking

Nord of the South
When I sold my house in 1996, I had a cash buyer who was going to pay the asking price - no haggling.

But he needed to sell some diamonds first, and couldn’t have the buyer and seller meet because then his cut wouldn’t be enough to pay for the house. So I was supposed to go with him to the seller and lose as the buyer to get the diamonds and then go to the buyer and he would do all the selling and everything would be wonderful. He also didn’t have a car and needed a lift - which was basically a ploy to get me alone so that he could convince me to do the deal with him. I ended up giving him a lift to Eastgate to get rid of him.
o_O

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I was fleeced by an elderly white afrikaans couple. Same thing - they thought it was amusing when I handed the phone to the cops to get info out of them.
Yeah, scamming is not exclusive to Africans, but if you're getting scammed on Gumtree or FB Marketplace, it's likely to be Africans.

eehellfire

Executive Member
Yeah, that'll go down like a bag of cement with the law if they're busted for dealing drugs. It's up to them to know what and who they're dealing with.
How exactly do you propose a driver does this?
He gets accepts a ride notification, he gets to the pick up point and gets given something to transport (person, pizza, phone, dry cleaning, other), and is asked to take it to the destination address.
Unless he's in danger, why would he reject this, or investigate further? That transport is quite literally his job.

Colin62

Executive Member
He gets accepts a ride notification, he gets to the pick up point and gets given something to transport (person, pizza, phone, dry cleaning, other), and is asked to take it to the destination address.
Unless he's in danger, why would he reject this, or investigate further? That transport is quite literally his job.
Rule #3:- don’t open the package.

I was nearly scammed when selling my car back in 2013 by a German dude, posing as a buyer, who had cash and needed me to drive him about while he tried to buy uncut diamonds from Angola. He flashed a cooler box full of cash, and the other guy the diamond themselves.

The number of players and commitment to the plan including meeting one of the guys outside the Police station was insane.

In the end I was just pleased in getting to watch a great show, with lovely actors...
I swear I've heard of this scam before. Last year maybe and was on Carte Blanche, I think.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
In most of those cases they are mandated to actually transport a person.

Accepting a package is already breaking the rules of their employment contract.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Who cares why?

Anyway, Africans (especially Nigerians), are notorious world wide, for scams.
So lets say you buy something off classifieds in India and get ripped off. See where this is going?
Fish in a koi pond, don't expect to catch any bass.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
So lets say you buy something off classifieds in India and get ripped off. See where this is going?
Fish in a koi pond, don't expect to catch any bass.
Sorry, nope.

Africa is not the only country continent where Africans are notorious for scamming.

No need to tell you to Google 419 scams