Something odd is happening on Telkom's mobile network

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I'm constantly having to toggle flight mode to get a decent connection - just about ready to cancel and move on.

I've also been struggling to get Telkom to email me my statements - for some **** knows why reason - they started MMSing me the statements - I think its over six months now they keep saying they've corrected it - but - still arrives by MMS. Useless.

cobusv

strangely enough seems like MTN and Cell C implemented their roaming quite perfectly

mr_norris

Expert Member
I have 10Mbps upload and up to 2Mbps download on my parents uncapped LTE package. The fault is at least 2 months old now, with no end to these BS speeds in sight.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Maybe Telkom is having to pay too much to Vodacom for IPC. Because remember, just because the client is paying for the bandwidth, does not mean you can have their ISP pay for it again in IPC

richjdavies

Expert Member
No one at Telkom has taken the issue about the switch to vodacom seriously. The whole data network is broken as you cant tell when its going to roam or using which band - and if you get a band that vodacom decide not to give any data on.

Thanks mybb for at least reminding them of the issue.

Telkom data simply cannot work (fixed LTE fair enough) but with this broken roaming deal mobile data just doesn't work!

Have to go direct to mtn and vodacom nowadays (given that cell-c will be bankrupt before too long!)

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Telkom over Voda is a joke. It's consistently slow and I never get 4G.

Reactions: DXL

DXL

Expert Member
The plan is to shutdown Telkom Mobile systematically.

Poor user experience means customer is not happy and he moves to MTN and Vodacom.

I was with Cell-C then ported to telkom all was good now i am going to Vodacom. Go figure. Vodacom is putting it deep for Telkom and those suckers cannot feel it.

Telkom will fail just like Cell-C did.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Well, at work the last few days, Telkom LTE has been ridiculously variable in performance. For example, reading MyBB on my Samsung 10e. Forum pages load, then suddenly they do not. Close Chrome reopen and page loads, then 3-4 pages later. Same issue. What's Up Doc?

quovadis

Executive Member
Hmmm if I were a sceptic I'd think Vodacom was being anticompetitive.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Vodacom being Vodacom.

It's karma really.

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
i was recently on a work weekend in an area where vodacom people had full 4g signal, meanwhile i had either no signal at all or roamed on vodacom with edge, but couldn't even send a whatsapp message (text only). asked telkom about that on twitter and was told:

Thanks, unfortunately that location is not covered by Telkom coverage nor Telkom Roaming. There is signal surrounding it but at that location there is no coverage.

how can you tell us you have roaming on vodacom, then say "oops, no, sorry, not there"? so we can only roam where telkom has adequate signal already?

TheGuy

Expert Member
I've always found this to be an issue when roaming. The only way around it was to permanently select the roaming network so its always connected to it. Not sure if you can still do this now.

SDM

Both my kids have Telkom prepaid SIMs in older iPhones. Both go offline repeatedly - No Service - and have to be rebooted to come back online. We live < 300m from a Telkom cell. Since they are mostly on WiFi, they don't really care, so I can't be bothered to navigate Telkom's wonderful customer service to find someone who might take note of the issue and fix it. When they need them to work one day I will port them to a working network.

My wife is on a contract SIM and does not experience this at all, also using an iPhone. Go figure.

Edit: The only commonality I can think of is that I tried (and reversed) the USSD option to block Telkom-R on the prepaid phones and not on the contract one.

richjdavies

Expert Member
No one at Telkom cares... this issue (and more serious completely no service issues) has been going on since the DAY that roaming starting.

The roaming agreement has failed.