Something odd is happening on Telkom's mobile network

Bighit

Expert Member
Brilliant article, I've been holding off on porting to Vodacom because I thought the speeds would be just as shocking when roaming on Vodacom with my Telkom sim. Time for a move!

Eat my shorts

The level of incompetence and behind the scene dodgy business .....only in SA. Consumer always suffers and nothing is done about it
What did you expect from Hellkom?
I have been warning you guys since forever, stay far away from Hellkom.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Another SOE paying for something they not getting. Or do they just have a crap roaming agreement with Vodacom? Probably the latter.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Yeah no they are pretty pathetic, I'm still experiencing the issue where even in full cellc coverage it still prioritises roaming, so you either have to spam the sim and disable it (more than 3 times) or go and specifically choose which network you wan't to connect to, but it just gives you an FU after about a 20 sec and goes back to roaming.

ludwighartmann

I have exactly the same experience. My partner and I have the same iPhones on Telkom. I will have no signal and must reboot and his shows full signal. This happens often.

The Vodascum signal is strong in our area and Telkom non existent but it will force the signal to stay on Telkom. Telkom however stated it will use the strongest signal which it does not. Just do a test in Mall of Africa and you will see how bad it is. Telkom has almost no signal there and Vodacom does, however it forces on Telkom signal and you can not make calls or use your data.

Love their PR footwork that is typical SOE style. Blame everyone and deflect the attention to many factors that could be the cause, however just reading all the comments you can see there is an issue. instead of addressing the issue they try to sweep it under the carpet. They will however pay the price for their ignorance and incompetency. Climbing in bed with Vodascum was a bad idea!

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Vodacom seem to be incapable of running a proper MOCN network here.

Anyway, some tips to help if you are getting poor speeds on Roaming:

1) Make sure "international roaming for data" is set to OFF on your devices. Previously, with MTN, you had to enable "data roaming". This is not the case anymore.
2) If you are stuck on 2G/EDGE, then manually force the phone to connect to 3G/WCDMA by going to your Mobile Network settings and selecting "WCDMA/3G only" as your network type. This should restore data connectivity if you are out of town e.g. on holiday in the mountains.

It seems Vodacom's 2G signal is so strong, that the phone never migrates to a faster radio protocol, especially in rural or out of town areas. Vodacom also doesn't give proper EDGE data roaming on 2G.

threegee

They are doing the same thing on their own network affecting OpenServe ADSL and fibre clients. Not one ISP can seem to ever identify or resolve this but I can say one thing, they are up to no good and nobody can seem to uncover what they are doing. The internet is so full of problems affecting ports 80 and 443 and also email ports when you are routed anywhere through Telkom's network, this has been going on since last year October and just keeps getting worse by the day.

Swa

Honorary Master
Nothing new. Vodacom's 3G/LTE is patchy at best and will regularly switch to edge.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Have been on TELKOM mobile FREE-ME 20GB for about six months. Ever since there was the swap from MTN to VODACOM reception at my place of work has deteriorated. Could never understand how a start-up mobile network operator could trust it’s roaming partner to shape its users experience. Seems counterintuitive to me. What’s to say VODACOM is not flagging TELKOM account and deliberately degrading service in the hope TELKOM user will jump ship

Reactions: DXL

Swa

Honorary Master
The plan is to shutdown Telkom Mobile systematically.

Poor user experience means customer is not happy and he moves to MTN and Vodacom.

I was with Cell-C then ported to telkom all was good now i am going to Vodacom. Go figure. Vodacom is putting it deep for Telkom and those suckers cannot feel it.

Telkom will fail just like Cell-C did.
Cell C was on Vodacom and saw how bad it is and is switching to MTN. Why on earth Telkom switched over to Vodacom heaven knows as that's when all the problems started. I have my sneaking suspicions Vodacom is sabotaging every network that roams on it. Telkom and Cell C should have formed a mutual roaming agreement as they both stand to gain the most.

Dylan_G

Expert Member
Excellent article @mybroadband!

100%, Telkom Mobile is ****. Definitely the worst network at the moment.

I have a Samsung S10e... Most of the time I force it to use 3G so that I have a reliable connection. So far I have encountered:

The connection often drops and I get a "Refreshing SIM card" message (multiple times a day). Returns after a few seconds.
My battery dies faster than it did before.
There are times where I have no connection (I swop over to my MTN sim and everything is fine).
Reception is never more than 1/2 bars while on 4G
Low/no reception in many areas (including central Umhlanga).

To me, it feels like they keep changing things on the backend, and we only notice the after-effects.

adnaanhitman

Telkom are a bunch of liars & thieves. Right up to their CEO who got paid millions last year & he wasn't even in the job for more than a year. All this while they have to fire thousands of employees because they say they simply can't afford to have them anymore. They have no problem paying Sipho his million Rand salary plus bonuses(which are also in the millions) though.
This just makes no sense to anyone, but Sipho. And the company is struggling! Please, tell me another joke.
Now, why am I not surprised by this article???

access

Honorary Master
someone showed me a public ip of a telkom user other day, it had a reverse dns entry of what looked like a routing device on the telkom network.

someone at telkom doesnt know wtf they are doing.