Songbird Music Player, from Mozilla... awesome!!

wikus

Have you tried Songbird from Mozilla?
It's awesome!!

I recently had problems with my album art in Winamp and I just couldn't get a solution for it. So I tried Songbird and it solved the problem immediately! It wrote the album artwork metadata to each and every mp3, whereas Winamp just looks for a jpg in the album folder.

It's way less cluttered than Winamp and it actually asks you whether you want to install music store plug-ins on install (unlike Winamp which forces it upon you).

I just hope they can continue development and make this the best Open Source music player ever :D

Goodbye Winamp

dequadin

Expert Member
Looks like a good find, what's the footprint like? Does it want to own your box and every bloody file extension?

Been thinking about a Winamp replacement recently...

wikus

It's like iTunes built on Firefox. Not the most lightweight player but hey!
Sure startup takes a bit long (dunno why, feels like Java) but who cares, as long as it does what it should.
Doesn't have all the useless junk that Winamp has, so I'm happy.

wikus

Does it want to own your box and every bloody file extension?

Been thinking about a Winamp replacement recently...
Well, doesn't look like Songbird made any file associations. MP3 is still assigned to Winamp.

wikus

Looks like improving application performance is an ongoing objective for the Songbird team.
As long as they are looking into the startup time (which was ~20 seconds on my system).