Sonoff Basic Switch - Ground

crudler

Hi

I have a sonoff basic switch, that I want to pop a small heater on (it draws less than 10A so in theory im good)
My plan was to cut the wire, add the sonoff, and bingo all good. Issue is that this heater is a 3 prong plug. Sonoff only takes Live and Neutral, what do I do about the Earth?

Option 1 is to just ignore it. Only wire the L and N, leave the E on its own and tape off the ends. This feels dodgy, especially being a heater, I reckon ground is important.

Other option is to just treat the Earth as a pass through. so I leave that intact, thread it through the sonoff box, and only cut the L and N

Just wondering what others have done in my situation. Good idea. Bad Idea. Call the fire brigade idea.

Thanks

Hi

I have a sonoff basic switch, that I want to pop a small heater on (it draws less than 10A so in theory im good)
My plan was to cut the wire, add the sonoff, and bingo all good. Issue is that this heater is a 3 prong plug. Sonoff only takes Live and Neutral, what do I do about the Earth?

Option 1 is to just ignore it. Only wire the L and N, leave the E on its own and tape off the ends. This feels dodgy, especially being a heater, I reckon ground is important.

Other option is to just treat the Earth as a pass through. so I leave that intact, thread it through the sonoff box, and only cut the L and N

Just wondering what others have done in my situation. Good idea. Bad Idea. Call the fire brigade idea.

Thanks

I 3D print a box the Sonoff mounts in, Earth passes through the box in a channel under the Sonoff.
Or just do not cut the Earth and have that bypass the switch.

Sonoff Basic Enclosure

f2c544c0b2cc16c45bc0f140d86b4435_preview_featured.jpg

if the leave the earth running outside the box, im betting my wife will freak thinking i have live wires exposed to electricute the children. lol

Ill try sneak it inside sonoff box. it might be tight...

You could also get something like this, any enclosure will work.

The only benefit of the one I print is that the override switch can still be used.

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 13.32.43.png

if the leave the earth running outside the box, im betting my wife will freak thinking i have live wires exposed to electricute the children. lol

Ill try sneak it inside sonoff box. it might be tight...
That's why I use tape.

If you ever have to cut earth you must reconnect it by crimping, never using a terminal block or screwit.

I don’t know why Sonoff don’t make a neat switch similar to what Shelly did for scenarios like this.

Rather use a Sonoff TH16 which if I remember correctly uses earth, it includes a temperature and humidity probe so you can use that to automate the switch as well. I use two of them for heaters in our sons bed room.

Back