Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc review (MyBroadband)

Shayd

Expert Member
Too little too late... This phone is way to similar to the Optimus Black and the Optimus is over R2000 cheaper.

K

kingrob

Single core smartphone in a dual-core world..... no.

Not gonna work.

TJ99

Honorary Master
To be fair, it WAS actually launched a few months ago as the article suggests (March). The SA networks were just their typically slow selves in getting it here. But I decided long ago that I won't buy an SE phone again, unless it's a real game changer, like the first Xperia was.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Aargh ... I was seriously considering this device. This review killed that idea.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
That Techradar review states:

"The hardware is extremely impressive, both in terms of looks and performance. Forget the fashionable dual-core phones – when done right, a single-core 1GHz processor can do it all.

As it is, we're prepared to overlook the Xperia Arc's minor flaws thanks to its stunning good looks, superb screen and very decent photo performance. You can't help but love it once you've held its magically thin body and gazed adoringly into its dazzling Reality Display."

How can the same device be so differently experienced?

TJ99

Honorary Master
That Techradar review states:

"The hardware is extremely impressive, both in terms of looks and performance. Forget the fashionable dual-core phones – when done right, a single-core 1GHz processor can do it all.

As it is, we're prepared to overlook the Xperia Arc's minor flaws thanks to its stunning good looks, superb screen and very decent photo performance. You can't help but love it once you've held its magically thin body and gazed adoringly into its dazzling Reality Display."

MyBB only likes HTC devices it seems. Almost every review site has their preferences. That's why you should always read a lot of them to get a broader perspective before spending some serious cash. I quite like SE devices but lately, I have to agree, they're not the same company that brought us the Xperia X1 or the W800 Walkman phone.

Jan

Drifting in the black
Timing and pricing. At this price point SE is competing against the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S2 and HTC Sensation. So-called "superphones".

From the review the camera, battery life, and software are all above average or excellent with the display being OK but touch response lagging.

The nail in the coffin is the price, though.

MyBB only likes HTC devices it seems. Almost every review site has their preferences. That's why you should always read a lot of them to get a broader perspective before spending some serious cash. I quite like SE devices but lately, I have to agree, they're not the same company that brought us the Xperia X1 or the W800 Walkman phone.
You should read some of our LG and Samsung reviews too then ;-)

I should not really speak for all MyBB reviewers, but we tend to favour balance. If your device is technically inferior but offers good value you'll get a reasonable score. If your device is technically superior but needs you to pawn a lung to afford your overall score will suffer for it.

TJ99

Honorary Master
If your device is technically inferior but offers good value you'll get a reasonable score. If your device is technically superior but needs you to pawn a lung to afford your overall score will suffer for it.
I agree with this, although maybe you should mention that it's once again just the SA price that's a lot higher than elsewhere. This phone is supposed to retail for 430 Euro (R4105) or a similar $580 in the US. (amazon.com)

Last edited:

Jan

Drifting in the black
I agree with this, although maybe you should mention that it's once again just the SA price that's a lot higher than elsewhere. This phone is supposed to retail for 430 Euro (R4105) or a similar $580 in the US. (amazon.com)
We write from a South African perspective, so while it would be interesting to note how much more expensive it is here, it is irrelevant to the average South African buyer.

A bit of confirmation bias, but I found Engadget's review of the device interesting (http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/30/sony-ericsson-xperia-arc-review/). Basically highlighted all the same issues Gerrit did but said that at the *lower* end of the Android scale it offers good value.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Thanks for the review guys. You saved me a lot of frustrations. It seems it all really comes down to the Galaxy S2, Sensation, or Desire S. iPhone 4 the main opposition of these. I can upgrade from the 10th of this month and will go for one of these if any of them are available.

TJ99

Honorary Master
We write from a South African perspective, so while it would be interesting to note how much more expensive it is here, it is irrelevant to the average South African buyer.

A bit of confirmation bias, but I found Engadget's review of the device interesting (http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/30/sony-ericsson-xperia-arc-review/). Basically highlighted all the same issues Gerrit did but said that at the *lower* end of the Android scale it offers good value.
Again, I agree that in the South African environment, it doesn't make any sense at that price, but I just think a thorough review should mention that it is significantly more expensive here. Just maybe say, ïf it was in line with international pricing" etc. It won't make any difference to a purchasing decision if you're not able to buy it at that price yes, but to someone like me, reading the review, it makes a difference knowing that the score is dragged down by a 50% price increase. It would serve to highlight the fact that a lot of the blame isn't necessarily because of the phone itself, but rather the way it's imported into the country. That said, I agree with the flaws, it's by no means a perfect phone, as I posted above. I'd definitely go with the Galaxy S2 in a heartbeat if they both cost remotely the same. Again, it's 550 vs 430 Euros in the civilised world ;)

TJ99

Honorary Master
Thanks for the review guys. You saved me a lot of frustrations. It seems it all really comes down to the Galaxy S2, Sensation, or Desire S. iPhone 4 the main opposition of these. I can upgrade from the 10th of this month and will go for one of these if any of them are available.
The iPhone 4 isn't really any competition to the ones you mentioned, but maybe the 5 will be. Hardware-wise at least.

StevenC

Expert Member
I own a Xperia X10 - while not a bad phone I have definitely been disappointed in SE's tardiness when it comes to updates. I am pleased at least I will get 2.3 for my phone but mark my words that will be the last SE I ever buy. HTC and Samsung seem to have the edge on what is good.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I also own an X10, and have been horribly disappointed with SE's updating "policy"... and for that it will be a damn long time before I touch another SE phone.

Jola

Honorary Master
I have an Arc, and am very happy with it.

But it was available long before the S2, and should only be compared to the S1, the S2 is a different generation. I have already had my phone for a while..

Also, I imported mine, so paid a lot less than the local pricing, this also affects how one looks at the phone.

As for updates, there have already been software updates, so far so good - but I am aware that Sony is bad with software support, especially on notebook computers.

With respect to performance, the phone seems to do everything with adequate performance, so I am not sure that a dual processor would make any discernable difference.

As far as I am concerned, a great phone !

Draconia2

Expert Member
"With lighter use, the Xperia Arc made it through two days with just enough left to make it to the charger"

yeah, because if you DON'T make it , your phone is dead forever. never buying a SE phone again and i don't care if it can wash windows and dishes ! SE South African support is rubbish ! i get more support on forums than what i got from them.

(waiting now day 7 out 28 for repairs on my xperia x10 mini battery problem)

freeek

Expert Member
This is a great phone, a friend of mine bought one while we were in Dubai in April for around R4400. After playing with it for a bit I was very amazed by the quality of the screen and sound. Playing videos on it is way better than my iPhone 4.