Sony says the “PlayStation 5” is necessary

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I know I definitely will not be buying it. Not because I am against it, just that I bought a PS4 less than a year ago. I'm happy to hold on to it for many many years to come.

In hindsight though I feel I should have gotten a Nintendo Switch. I've come to realise that I'm not into hardcore-gaming, I use it as a media box mostly, and I prefer simulators and arcade games anyway. So when the time comes to replace, I'll think twice about my options.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Will it be compatible with PS4 games?
I doubt it will be.

The same thing happened with PS3 when PS4 came out. Sales of the old unit won't suddenly stop as stock still exists, and owners of the older model won't be happy of they do not get any new games.

So basically developers will most likely have to port PS4 games over to PS5 at launch, and for the following year or two create two versions of any new games, and then after some time games will be made for PS5 exclusively.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
PS4 can't run PS3 games.
XBox can run previous gen games.
With both platforms running on the X86 platform (the same as the PC). And Xbox One having some level of backward compatibility there's no way consumers going to accept a new console without backward compatibility with their existing PS4 library

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
The PS5 and next Xbox will be x86-based and use an AMD Navi GPU, so backwards compatibility is all but guaranteed

PS3 emulation should also be sorted with this coming gen because of the additional CPU horsepower.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
I know I definitely will not be buying it. Not because I am against it, just that I bought a PS4 less than a year ago. I'm happy to hold on to it for many many years to come.

In hindsight though I feel I should have gotten a Nintendo Switch. I've come to realise that I'm not into hardcore-gaming, I use it as a media box mostly, and I prefer simulators and arcade games anyway. So when the time comes to replace, I'll think twice about my options.
If you're into hardcore gaming a PC would be better anyway. Switch has some legendary games though like Zelda BOTW. A Switch is worth it just for that game alone.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I doubt it will be.

The same thing happened with PS3 when PS4 came out. Sales of the old unit won't suddenly stop as stock still exists, and owners of the older model won't be happy of they do not get any new games.

So basically developers will most likely have to port PS4 games over to PS5 at launch, and for the following year or two create two versions of any new games, and then after some time games will be made for PS5 exclusively.
There is no reason it shouldn't be, the architectures will be the same.

So Sony would need to make a stupid political decision to block backwards compatibility which would not be in their best interests.

Absolutely no reason to port anything or have two versions of the game. It should simply run as is on the next gen hardware possibly with a forced limiter in place or like Xbox with unlocked features to make games better on the new hardware.

Also all their consoles have actually been historically backwards compatible. Only the PS3 > PS4 wasn't.

So I'm betting it will be. If it's not...I won't be buying their product.

system32

Expert Member
With both platforms running on the X86 platform (the same as the PC). And Xbox One having some level of backward compatibility there's no way consumers going to accept a new console without backward compatibility with their existing PS4 library
You say that consumers won't accept... They had to suck it up with PS3 to PS4, and will forced to suck it up again with PS4 to PS5.

Sony does not make money on the hardware.
It wants users to repurchase their games again for PS5

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
If you're into hardcore gaming a PC would be better anyway. Switch has some legendary games though like Zelda BOTW. A Switch is worth it just for that game alone.
I'm not a 'hardcore' gamer but I only play on console if I absolutely have to. Most games are just so rubbish with a controller - basically everything but platforming, racing, fighting and sports. I saw someone playing Hitman the other day on console and the game looks so janky with controller movement. On PC you can move around smoothly with the mouse, like an actual non-handicapped hitman.

I finally ordered a PS4 Pro last week. Hasn't even shipped yet from Takealot though due to a cable adapter I ordered with it (for headset compatibility). Towards the end of a console generation is the best time to buy in imo. Spider-man, God of War, Horizon, Uncharted 4 and RDR2 are finally enough justification to buy a PS4. The cost of PS+ is some bs though.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
You say that consumers won't accept... They had to suck it up with PS3 to PS4, and will forced to suck it up again with PS4 to PS5.

Sony does not make money on the hardware.
It wants users to repurchase their games again for PS5
That was a different time, as I stated that the PS4 runs on X86 platform (the same as the PC) and they already stated PS5 will run on the x86 architecture. PC gamers can still play games which they purchased on Steam as far back as the PS3 era with no issues on their latest PC. Sony used the excuse that they couldn't have PS3 backwards compatibility because the Power PC and X86 architectures are not compatible . They longer have that excuse. If they try to pull that crap again the vast majority of gamers will simply just switch to PC.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
I doubt it will be.

But there was a large time gap between 3 and 4.

Also, you can get a better sales response if people can use 4 games on the 5.