Sony TV with digital tuner in SA soon

Kosmik

Honorary Master
/me still wants to know what idiot in government thought that home users would buy a set-top box @ R750 for sabc tv.

And what about the encryption ?

Probably the tv has a location for a smartcard that will instruct the builtin decoder what protocols to use.

telkomsuig

Expert Member
Sony would need to know what type of encryption will be used. AFAIK the specifications have not been finalised yet by the guvament.

Roo!

Expert Member
Well free-to-air is not encrypted. If these idiots require a decoder to view their content then they are no longer free-to-air and that circumvents the SABC's mandate.

simbao53

Very cool Sony, I hope they will have high-end models that are full HD as well. No need to worry about encryption, all the current public channels will still remain free but one will still need additional H/ware to watch the DStv channels.

stretch72

Very cool Sony, I hope they will have high-end models that are full HD as well. No need to worry about encryption, all the current public channels will still remain free but one will still need additional H/ware to watch the DStv channels.

Where do you get your info from dude - coz you're wrong!?? They're going to use Nagravision

Last edited:

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Where do you get your info from dude - coz you're wrong!?? They're going to use Nagravision

Yip, looks like Sony has jumped the gun.
The channels are FTA but you will still have to get a smart card, meaning that this TV may or may not support what the SABC are using.... and Mnet

acidb

Expert Member
With the electricity price increase, this will be more economical to get, not having a decoder to use more electricity will be a plus for me

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I thought the government said all third party Digital Tuner Devices would be useless.

Anybody would be crazy to buy this until the Government sorts their junk out... which is gonna be years.

profpanda

Go to www.dixons.co.uk they have the same type of tv's with build in DTT recievers (crt's and lcd's), the first set-top boxes went for 80 ponds and a year after that for 30ponds

BaronBuffoon

Executive Member
<ot>
Would this new digital television system that is being rolled out [eventually] play nice with DVB-T TV tuners?
</ot>

profpanda

It work with my usb one and then they encrypted the signal, so no I don't think so

guest2013-1

Hmmm, i'm thinking that if sabc requires a digital top box, and i dont have one for my tv, they can't touch me with the "our signal on your premises so now you need a tv license" crap....

RoganDawes

Expert Member
It work with my usb one and then they encrypted the signal, so no I don't think so

Really? I was viewing it fine with my PCI-based DVB-T tuner, too, but I haven't tried for a while, since my PC got fried by a lightning strike.

I always figured that they are "trialling" the DVB-T transmissions now, what would be the point of doing so BEFORE everything was finalised, as it would invalidate all of the trials done up to that point.

The other thing is that I currently have an Mnet DVB-T STB, which also shows the SABC bouquet, and is still doing so without any problems. (That said, there are a couple of channels that are marked as "Unavailable on your decoder", so that might indicate that those channels are being trialled with the Nagravision crypto.)

The Mnet channels are encrypted using Irdeto2, just like the DVB-S channels (there is an Irdeto2 smart card sticking out of the STB!).

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
I'm 99% sure that those built-in DVB-T tuners will be useless. There will be encryption and a proprietary STB, from what I've heard. They have even announced the pricing of these boxes. This means that you would have to have a R700 (+/-) box for every TV, if you want independent SABC viewing. That is after the 2015 analogue switch-off.

EDIT: I have to add, that if the dual illumination has to be 3 years like the article says, then it will now be 2016 for the analogue switch-off.

Last edited: