Sony WH-1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones (Review)

RedViking

Nord of the South
I got these headphones a week ago, a gift for my wife. Most would get these headphones for the ANC (Active Noise Cancelling) to have a great music experience, for which they are designed for of course. I got it for slightly different reasons after much research, mostly for the ANC, not too much for the music, that is if my wife is wearing them as she has started to develop a condition called Hyperacusis. A good reason for me to spend 6K if it will make things slightly better. :D

Noise Cancelling (Music Off):
I can't compare it to something else as this is the first I have experienced. Before it is switched on it already soften or muffle the sound. Kind of like getting into a cupboard and closing the door. Once you switch it on it does an excellent job at taking out lower frequency sounds, to barely audible. The feeling can be described as something that sucked the air out of your ears, like a vacuum. It's an amazing feeling. And then silence, except for a soft hissssssshhhh (very soft ocean sound) in the background (The Noise Cancelling at work). Remove the headphones, wait a couple of seconds and put it back on again. The soft NC noise should barely be audible.

Something it does not do so great is higher pitched sounds in close vicinity. Window creek. Neighbours rat barking. But it sounds far away in the distance.

You can change the ANC settings to how much ambience you want or voices from outside.

Noise Cancelling (Music On):
That is all you would hear. Pure sound. No dog barking or window creaking. Just music. Beautiful life giving music.

Even when driving it as absolutely amazing. Switching on "Ambient sound" you can still hear the soft traffic far in the background. You can fine tune how much in the Sony App.

EQ:
I felt like there is quiet a bit of Mids and not enough Highs and Lows. BUT you install the Sony application and it will let you EQ the headphones. Brilliant. Once you have changed it to suit your needs it is perfect. Deep bass. The highs can still do with some work and be more crisp. But it is better than anything I have experienced before. Listing to a classical acoustic piece I can hear the wood creek, the guitarist breath, the slide noises on the strings and the natural soft reverb. Wow!!!! And this is just on High Quality Google Play. I haven't even tried lossless formats. (Any suggestions?)

The Sony App:
I installed it on an Android phone pared headphones, changed the ANC settings and adjusted the EQ. It works.

Touch Controls:
No complaints. Easy to operate. Works great.

Some complaints:
•Of course this is known to be one of the best headphones for ANC, but my expectations for the ANC was slightly higher and I think better Passive Noise Cancellation can be achieved with better ear pads. But once the music is pumping, it is great.

•Sound wise I feel like it needs a bit more at the high end, bass is great for my needs.

•Bluetooth you can only connect ONE device. This is a bummer but I knew it when I bought it. WHY SONY?

•The charging cable included is the shortest I have ever seen (probably like 10cm long). Almost useless. WHY SONY?

•The 3.5 cable also doesn't look so great. Typical Chinese. WHY SONY?

•Phone calls and microphone. Not so great. Meh!

Wife:
She is happy. :love: Although I have to do a lot more up and down jumping to get her attention.

Bought it from Takealot: https://www.takealot.com/sony-wh-1000xm3-wireless-noise-cancelling-bluetooth-headphones/PLID53187912

IMG_20190528_141805-01-01a.jpg

IMG_20190528_141833-01-01a.jpg

IMG_20190528_141911-01-01a.jpg

IMG_20190528_141937-01-01a.jpg

RedViking

Nord of the South
Here is a great example of what it sounds like with ANC on compared to the Bose:

Holding you hand over the one can will mute music and let in sound so you can talk to someone:

Noisy Traffic:

Call Quality:

Last edited:

Syphonx

Expert Member
I've had a pair for a few months now. They are amazing. Super comfortable, the battery lasts forever, USB C charging! and great sound quality and ANC.

The_ONE

Executive Member
Also why have you chosen the Sony's instead of a of Bose or Jabra :)

Thanks

RedViking

Nord of the South
See someone is selling it for R4000 in the classifieds section: