Sony Xperia Z5 Compact Warranty for Cracked Screen

davidfourie

On 8 January 2016 I proudly took possession of my new Sony Xperia Z5 Compact on a two-year contract with MTN. It was an amazing phone, with a wonderful camera and everything else I needed in a phone.

On 8 March 2016, I was speaking to a friend on Whatsapp, and inbetween messages put my phone down next to me on my bed. When I picked it up to read the next message, I couldn't unlock it. After a couple of tries, I noticed that there was a crack across the screen in the middle, from left to right.

On 14 March, I went to the nearest MTN store to ask how I should proceed to have my phone fixed. They informed me that I needed my contract, and R350 to pay for the courier. Having just moved, I had no idea where my contract was, and there has not been an opportunity for me to get together the R350 for the courier.

When I eventually did take the phone in for repair, on 10 September 2016, I didn't have to pay the R350 that I was told previously, and was assured the phone would be fixed within three weeks. Had I known that before, I would have taken it in long ago!

On 23 September 2016, when I enquired, I was told that my phone would be returned by 28 September 2016, and that there were no charges.

On 29 September 2016, enquiring again, I was told that fixing my phone would cost R2978.30, and asked whether I accepted the charges. Of course not!

I launched a query with HVRC Repairs (#13077634), and was informed that a request for a breakdown of the cost has been placed (REQ:7321782), but "the repair is not considered as warranty repair due to a cracked LCD, dents and light scratches and that voids the warranty."

I specifically checked the phone before handing it in at the MTN branch for dents and scratches (which are cosmetic and should not influence warranties!), and there were none. The cracked LCD was the reason for the warranty repair, so cannot possibly be the reason for the refusal of the warranty repair.

Having spent 7 months getting R350 together, there is no way that I'm ever going to see my phone again if I have to pay R2978.30 for warranty repairs. I'm not sure whether I should blame MTN or Sony for this ridiculous stance on the matter, but either way, I have a contract with MTN until January 2018, and I'm certainly not upgrading it at the end of that, and certainly not buying a Sony phone again.

Sysem

Expert Member
Have you tried Hello Peter with Sony?

I had a warranty claim (Vodacom) on my Z3 Compact screen, and my phone wasn't in the best condition (no drops, just the stupid flaps o-rings missing - even though I replaced them 3 times) - and I had no hassles. They even fixed the audio-port I had somehow damaged, even though I hadn't mentioned it. So seems like an issue with MTN

Saajid

Expert Member
Cracked screens are not covered by warranty, by anyone, except for Samsung on certain model's, and only if you register for the ADH warranty.

If you manage to get it fixed at not cost, you're extremely lucky. Also, in my experience, Sony phones are great, but once the screen has been cracked and fixed, you are always going to have issues with it. So rather sell it. Don't even bother trying to fix the screen a second time - complete waste of time and money.

Sysem

Expert Member
Cracked screens are not covered by warranty, by anyone, except for Samsung on certain model's, and only if you register for the ADH warranty.

If you manage to get it fixed at not cost, you're extremely lucky. Also, in my experience, Sony phones are great, but once the screen has been cracked and fixed, you are always going to have issues with it. So rather sell it. Don't even bother trying to fix the screen a second time - complete waste of time and money.

The Z3 / Z3 Compact had a problem with their screens just cracking (which happened to me, I watched the thing just crack in my hand :'( ), hence why mine was a warranty claim. Sony UK admitted it was a fault, and were replacing/repairing devices. Just didn't expect SA to do it :p

scienide

Expert Member
/subscribed

thanks @saajid

makes my choice for upgrade easier.

YM_80

Was yours white? Apparently the white ones had the issue of self-cracking screens.

I think the biggest mistake you made was going with MTN, though. I really don't know about the issues of warranty etc, but I just know MTN customer service is awful...so I can imagine being in a dispute with them isn't going to end well.

If I may suggest, try to get the phone back and get one of the cheaper mobile repairers to do the job. Those little pop-up stalls or shops where they do repairs and sell stuff for cheap. It's worth a shot, and at least an alternative to paying exorbitant prices demanded by these companies.

Glue

Expert Member

Don't forget Huawei.

Nips

I had a similar issue with Sony, although in my case the screen wasnt cracked it was lifting up. Still, I never managed to get it fixed under warranty. Obviously cracked screens are tricky, so better to stick with Huawei or Samsung that offer the cracked screen warranties. I was a big Sony fan for several years but now on Huawei ( and on balance find the phones better as well)

For your problem now, you may as well ask for your phone back and either try an insurance claim or go to a non franchise repair shop which will be much cheaper

Leisure Larry

I'm having an issue with my Z2 Tablet: when the battery reaches 40% and lower, the device cuts off all networks (mobile, wifi, everything). i switch off the device and it doesn't come back on. i have to keep the device connected on charge for 48 hours then only after that time does it actually start charging. device works fine thereafter. this has happened quite often now. clearly there is nothing wrong with the charging port. device is now out of warranty. any suggestions as to where i can get the device checked up in the KZN area?

djlilalrsa

Sony is not a good company, they are unethical and would rather endanger people than fix an issue they were even told about before they used the 810 processor. I know this is a bit late and all, but well done on the choice not to get a Sony Xperia Z5 Compact, not only is the device flaw filled, but the Sony Support will blame anyone but themselves, what happened to me is i got a new Z5c which was to replace my Z1c which was an amazing phone, and i noticed from the start the phone was hotter when running, with each new OS / FW update the problem seemed to get worse and worse, after 2 weeks there was the first big update, i think its the next android version as the file was 1GB, less than a week later, after leaving my Z5c on my bed not even charging while i went to the shops, i returned to find the rear glass cracked, just above where the CPU is situated, i contacted Sony Support, and they said that since there was not only 1 crack (there is a whole shatter patern inline with the NFC but on the opposite side of the camera, it is what looks like from the side cover, but there is not even a mark / scratch / piece of dust on it so how, especially when its a flat side part, you cant crack glass say 1/3 down hitting the side panel.) it was not their issue. They also said that phones do get hot and that i must not use it while it charges. then the next issue, the heat, after about a month since the glass cracked the phone was getting so hot i could not keep it in my pocket, which i am sure is too hot, and since all this has happened the battery life seems to be getting less and less very quickly no matter how i charge or if i even run a battery calibration, i googled the issues and saw so many others with the issues, and so i have now gone the legal route, since my 3 month old phone Sony has informed me must go into a Repair Center and they cant give me a phone to use while it is in. Another scary issue, is when the glass is cracked, people think it is still waterproof, IT IS NOT, THE CRACK MAKES YOUR PHONE NOT WATERPROOF, so be careful with it if the glass is cracked. I think Sony needs to do the right thing and recall this model, the heat issue they "solved" by throttling the CPU, throttling the CPU means i am not getting the CPU speed as advertised which means false advertising as well. They say it was just a FW fix for now, but i cant see with the damage this has caused already, the FW throttling being taken away, MEANING THE PHONE IS NOT THE SPEC AS ADVERTISED, which is false advertising and means i am not getting what i paid for. So its wrong and also ILLEGAL. Just my review, it seems like a very nice phone, if you are not worried about shattered glass in your ear or waking up an your house is on fire cause the phone got too hot. ALSO PEOPLE, SINCE SONY HAS RELEASED UPDATES THAT LOWER THE PROCESSORS SPEEDS, THIS PHONE IS LOWER THAN THE SPEC ADVERTISED, I ACTUALLY THINK THIS IS DISGUSTING SINCE WE DONT GET OUR MONEY BACK, AND SINCE LEGALLY NO ONE HAS CONFRONTED THEM TO BRING IT BACK UP TO SPEED! ALL SITE SPECS ARE A LIE AND BENCHMARKS NO ON THE LATEST FIRMWARE UPDATE ARE POINTLESS TO EVEN TAKE IN TO CONSIDERATION. Also, every update i got until the last 2 updates, made my phone even hotter, i cant keep it in my pocket anymore and i have read up on the health risks this can cause already, and its very scary this is allowed still. One point in Sony's favour, which i think is wrong on the above review is that the camera is great, and maybe it is only from updating the firmware but i have compared it on the newest FW for my country (that i could go up to before SONY SOFTWARE stopped updating and just downloaded nothing for 2 days, 8GB of nothing and no phone for 2 days????) and i think the photos are awesome, but the difference in the phone if you record in 4K or normal, is another problem.

For someone to drop his phone, due to it getting so hot, which i can agree with on that, since i cant even put my phone in my pocket. A premium phone, after 3 weeks breaks and i must send it in and be without a PREMIUM PHONE. I am no enterprise, i got the top phone, and its rubbish, why must i now lose out???

newklear

Expert Member
Somehow I see a link between spelling, punctuation and spacing with cracked screens.

Immortal_Souljah

Fsck sony. Had a z5 premium that fell in water in a baby pool. Waterproof my @ss. They did not fix it and said that it is due to user negligence. When I asked for an mtn printout it said not fixed tooling not available. Complained but no help whatsoever. Will never ever buy Sony again