• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Sony's new super-fast cameras are taking on Canon and Nikon

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Sony's new super-fast cameras are taking on Canon and Nikon

Eight seconds. That's how long a cowboy needs to stay on a bucking bronco to qualify for a rodeo score. For photographers, that's barely enough time to take just a few blurry, often unusable pictures.

"In the past, these images would have been made by pre-focusing and praying for the best," said Kenneth Jarecke, who made his name shooting photos during the Gulf War.

[Bloomberg]

garyc

Expert Member
The scuttlebutt among shooters in Japan is that noisy cameras will be banned from Emperor Akihito’s abdication ceremony in April, which effectively means only Sony Alphas could be allowed in the room.
Just about everyone except Nikon and Pentax are selling mirrorless cameras. This will not be a Sony only event.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah, and honestly The pros will hold out for their preferred manufacturer to release a version with the correct mount that supports their investment in glass.

Also, Sony totally screwed the pooch on this front in this country, it was incredibly difficult to get lenses in this country (at least affordable ones) that fit their mount....

genetic

Honorary Master
Yeah, and honestly The pros will hold out for their preferred manufacturer to release a version with the correct mount that supports their investment in glass.
Nothing a Metabones adapter can't fix.

You can use any glass pretty much with any camera.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
No it's not.

We just bought 2 Sony A7SIII's and 2 Sony FS7 MkII's and there were plenty of lenses to choose from.

https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/photo/camera-lenses?spec_lens_mount=741
You can now..

I bought an Alpha camera about 6 or 7 years ago, and lenses were almost impossible to find, or it was only the ridiculously expensive ones available...

Nothing a Metabones adapter can't fix.

You can use any glass pretty much with any camera.
A Pro won't really want to use an adapter though (at least in my opinion)

Granted, the situation MAY have changed, but my experience with Sony as a high end camera option in this country is a bit tainted... It would take a fair chunk for me to go down that road again.

genetic

Honorary Master
You can now..

I bought an Alpha camera about 6 or 7 years ago, and lenses were almost impossible to find, or it was only the ridiculously expensive ones available...

A Pro won't really want to use an adapter though (at least in my opinion)
As a pro, I use adapters all the time. Gives you a lot more versatility, especially with older glass.

Did a job recently where I used an old 18mm and a 80-200mm Nikkor vintage lens from the 70's on a RED Dragon 6K. Produced a nice soft silky image.

My line of work is predominantly video, so I don't rely on all the AF features etc. that a photographer may need - which may cause headaches when using different mount adapters.

So I do agree with you, you don't want or need the hassle of using adapters all the time.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Just about everyone except Nikon and Pentax are selling mirrorless cameras. This will not be a Sony only event.
And the article says:
Eight years ago, Sony scrapped the mirror and gave users a digital viewfinder that offered a more accurate representation of the final image.
In other words, Sony already has a lead, but they missed an opportunity to take on the professional market.

Last edited:

Jola

Honorary Master
I haven't looked at the latest digital viewfinders, I really need to do so, but up until a year or two ago they were absolutely atrocious.

But will have a look.