Soon to be graduate looking for life advice

spilz2012

I have turned to the MyBroadband forums whenever I have had a major life decision. When I was in matric I turned to the forums for degree advice and now I would like some more advice for my future.

Let me give you all some information about me to assist with the advice:
  1. I am completing my honours in Actuarial Science at UCT
  2. My BCom average was 74% and I obtained all of my actuarial professional accreditations
  3. I am a white male with a UK passport and family in Australia
  4. I have applied to many jobs, recruiters etc for next year and have achieved nothing from the process. I think BEE is a major culprit but there may be other issues at play.
  5. I would like to live in Australia next eventually and have a family there
  6. Despite having studied this I would not say that I am a strong coder
I have a few options for next year:
  1. Find work somewhere in SA (something will probably turn up) and complete my actuarial studies and then emigrate after i have qualified
  2. Do a masters in financial mathematics at UCT next year and try and get into banking in SA
  3. Work until September next year then do a masters in the UK/Europe and then go into financial services and give up the actuarial stuff
  4. Go to Aus after I graduate and try my luck

I guess I just want some opinions or possible success stories. It is my understanding that continuing with act sci is probably a waste if i wanna go to Aus. SA has a professional degree bias. I want to work in financial services or consulting but I am not super fussy. I just want to be able to learn a lot and have a career that pushes me with options to lead one day.

Happy Father's Day
Please DM me if you can put me in contact with anyone.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
Apply for one of the graduate programs when companies do their recruiting at your institution. This normally occurs during the second semester.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I wish it was that simple. I feel like I need a plan.
You have a UK passport and have had no luck getting anything here. You have options in Aus and have no luck getting anything here.

You have options outside of SA, go for them. You literally have nothing to lose wasting yourself here.

spilz2012

You have a UK passport and have had no luck getting anything here. You have options in Aus and have no luck getting anything here.

You have options outside of SA, go for them. You literally have nothing to lose wasting yourself here.
I can foresee myself working at McDonalds:ROFL:

Joeboy69

Expert Member
Are the Master degrees here accredited in UK and Aus? If so it may be better to stride here from a cost perspective and then leave

cguy

Expert Member
How does this compare to a masters in financial maths?
If you can’t code, no matter what you know, it won’t actually be useful.

Masters in Financials Maths is fine (better than not having it), but most companies overseas seem to prefer the equivalent level of education in a pure science (maths, stats, app maths, physics, etc), since the finance tends to dilute the course, and often isn’t that relevant.

skimread

Executive Member
I would take option 4. Aus or UK.

You seem to be obsessed with Masters. If you have money to now work but study and If your mind is set then do it overseas. Investigate the prices first don't trust what people say.

spilz2012

I would take option 4. Aus or UK.

You seem to be obsessed with Masters. If you have money to now work but study and If your mind is set then do it overseas. Investigate the prices first don't trust what people say.
Aus masters is off limits. I'd probably study masters in data science at UWA if i went to Aus. The programme would cost +- R800K. Plus I don't really want to study data science. I have really enjoyed studying financial math and have enjoyed learning about stochastic processes. I can't see myself really enjoying data science. Maybe stats at UCT was just boring.