Soundbars vs Home Theatre systems

gamer16

Honorary Master
Ah, ok. Interested in what others think on this.
Heading yes, didn't read the article yet. lets see if that was a mistake, will check just now.

EDIT: Yes article was a waste of time.

On a serious note, the argument can be and is usually very quickly made that "high end" audio is completely worthless as to the average user (99%) the difference between normal and high end is simply indistinguishable and not at all worth the cost, however, this instance is schite (tv audio) vs semi schite (soundbar) vs (good) home theatre. all users will benefit in choosing the later as its without question a better experience no matter who you are and regardless of the cost which is only a little bit higher if you stay within reason.

TLDR: Article is a waste of time if you have a bit of common sense.

Last edited:

terencej

Expert Member
Got me one of these a year ago. Never looked back.
Also, I was lucky to have wires already running inside my walls for the 4 satellite speakers so everything looks really neat and tidy. The wires running inside the wall was the reason for not going with a soundbar. 4.2 is a weird setup, but I just love it. When I bought it, it was on special at pick n pay for R2999.

For that price, I have not heard of anything that comes close to the quality.

Last edited:

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I have been reading through and I haven't seen anyone mention Sonos. Is it trash? I am leaning towards it because of the multiroom thingy they have. I was planning on building a system over time because I gather, it is can be rather pricy. Can I get something of comparable or decent performance for cheaper?
Sonos is not trash, they are not awesome either. They just discontinued support for their earlier stuff.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Got me one of these a year ago. Never looked back.
Also, I was lucky to have wires already running inside my walls for the 4 satellite speakers so everything looks really neat and tidy. The wires running inside the wall was the reason for not going with a soundbar. 4.2 is a weird setup, but I just love it. When I bought it, it was on special at pick n pay for R2999.

For that price, I have not heard of anything that comes close to the quality.

Then you ain't heard nothing yet :laugh:

gamer16

Honorary Master
I have been reading through and I haven't seen anyone mention Sonos. Is it trash? I am leaning towards it because of the multiroom thingy they have. I was planning on building a system over time because I gather, it is can be rather pricy. Can I get something of comparable or decent performance for cheaper?
Just be carefull, they brick stuff on purpose when new products come out.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Are you suggesting his stereo doesn't work? Or are you suggesting that he is deaf?
No, his system is not great, but it works and he is happy. Which is awesome.

In a way, he is a fortunate bugger - ignorance is bliss, which is great for his pocket, and his expectations.

Some of us have been to heaven, and came back, which can be very rough. :)

Skywalker786

Expert Member
Okay, now the JBL 5.1 I mentioned previously, has a detachable speaker at each end that you can place just about any where, sides or rear. Of the handful of guys who I know have these. Only one bothers taking them of and using them as rear speakers. There might be others out there with a similar feature, I have listened to a handful that are used locally and there are lots, I have no experience with. So kinda difficult to say, this or that is the bees knees.

End of the day the room they are used in and their position in that room contribute more to what you hear than what speakers you are using.

Currently have the JBL 5.1, Lost a Bose soundbar due to loadshedding. Balked when I saw the the price of the replacement Bose and opted for JBL. Paid +-R12k and I see they now going for R9k.

Connect via optic fibre. Not sure if will connect via blue tooth so less cords.

Used the satellite speakers once or twice find them a bit "tinny" sounding. But agree with elf_lord, wont use the satellite speakers very often

Love the bass sound. All in all happy with purchase

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Seriously - you sitting around 10 meters from 100 or is it 107 inch screen watching Jurrasic Park, and you hear and FEEL a Dino stomp his feet a few feet behind you, and you break the chair getting out of the way ...

Splinter

Honorary Master
Seriously - you sitting around 10 meters from 100 or is it 107 inch screen watching Jurrasic Park, and you hear and FEEL a Dino stomp his feet a few feet behind you, and you break the chair getting out of the way ...
The problem with my sub-woofer is that the neighbors feel it too :)

Thus headphones have another advantage - far more neighbor friendly.

pboy

Expert Member
samsung own Harman, who makes JBL.
so its all similair tech some even say so.

nothing beats actual speakers in the 5.1 setup or any x.1...
everything else pales or just tries at best.

those 5.1 amp and speaker setups by yamaha/onkyo/etc will outperform any soundbar in that price range. believe it!

but I feel a soundbar has its place. neat, less effort to setup, better than a tv sound....etc.
thats all.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

Problem with mine is my wife thinks it's the perfect spot for one of her ornaments.

Rattles like a mofo.

gamer16

Honorary Master

Unless they knock on the door very frantically as they urgently require your assistance as they have just sliced their jugular an cant let go to operate a phone lest they bleed quicker.

But no you can't hear them, you have headphones on streaming pronhub whilst your poor neighbor smashes their foot against your door trying yo get your help, but to no avail, you finnish, and they are also, finished.