South Africa’s broadband winners: The results are in

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
iWorst made the list :wtf:

Musta been some wrong clicks somewhere :p

elysian

I'm sitting on a 10Mbps ADSL line... More than twice the speed I had a couple of months ago (which was not too shabby either). I think Telkom deserve credit where it's due.

Hey, I'm glad that some people (like you) are getting some good speeds and are happy, but...

Here lies the rub, I (and many others) have been informed by Telkom that they have no intention of upgrading my area, because they believe a 384 kbps connection is fast enough for home use. This I was told after months of internet problems by one of their "engineers".

No I'm sorry, just because the minority receive higher ADSL speed does not make them even close to anything worth a mention.

...I can't get anything faster than 1Mbps (that is relatively stable). I'm close enough to the exchange to get higher than that, but have been told that my line is too bad to get anything better. The techie said: "If there is enough interest in your area, we might think about doing something about it. But you're actually paying for 1Mbps, anything faster is actually a bonus." Doesn't seem quite fair that I pay the same amount as people with 10 times my speed.

Like I said, I don't really mind people getting faster than me, but either Telkom should give me discount if it's their "fault" that my speed is so bad or people should stop generalising how awesome Telkom is. ;):crying:

diabolus

Executive Member
I have a feeling everyone wanted to vote "No One / I do not think any provider did much this year" to the first question and ended up picking the choice that is furthest from the ones they don't want to vote for. Kinda like refusing to vote for Telkom or Vodacom and then voting for Cell-C because we hate them the least . We still pretty much sit with the issue that all providers announced "speed increases" but very few of us actually experienced these speeds this year, and despite this most of us still prefer cheaper prices than speed increases. So it's very hard to give credit to providers based on us not experiencing any of this improvements yet paying through the roof....hence Cell-C wins for going from non-existing in the 3G market to some of the better prices and speed options you can get...[on paper that is]

Or simply because the survey came out when Cell-C announced their 21mbps upgrades....

So personally i think Cell-C certainly seemed to have done the most to put themselves on the map , but whether they improved broadband overall, i dunno, their entry into the market did not seem to change how Vodacom/MTN operate. I guess everyone is just happy there is another competitor, because if we have to vote for Vodacom or Telkom every year for bumping the speed for a minority consumers then it gets a little depressing...

Last edited:

LFX

Expert Member
why are mtn and vodacom even on the list?

diabolus

Executive Member
why are mtn and vodacom even on the list?

The bar for determining whether a company qualify for "improvements" are very low. You just need to be still breathing and you're on the list. I mean what exactly did MTN do this year? They took 6-8 months just to FIX their billing system, they ripped everyone off with their competition/lottery nonsense and basically continued this year without actually doing much about their pricing or speeds ....i'm really struggling to figure out what they did do this year other than launching the iphone 4 at better prices than Vodacom [who in turn , were clearly price-gouging consumers while they had exclusivity] .

PS: Yes Voda/MTN reduced their prices by a teeny tiny amount, but in an industry where ADSL prices went from R60 p/GB to R10 p/GB , it's laughable what Voda/MTN did in comparison.

Last edited:

darryn

all the moaning about telkom is getting a bit old lets complain about something else mmmm maybe.....

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
Hey, I'm glad that some people (like you) are getting some good speeds and are happy, but...

...I can't get anything faster than 1Mbps (that is relatively stable). I'm close enough to the exchange to get higher than that, but have been told that my line is too bad to get anything better. The techie said: "If there is enough interest in your area, we might think about doing something about it. But you're actually paying for 1Mbps, anything faster is actually a bonus." Doesn't seem quite fair that I pay the same amount as people with 10 times my speed.

Like I said, I don't really mind people getting faster than me, but either Telkom should give me discount if it's their "fault" that my speed is so bad or people should stop generalising how awesome Telkom is. ;):crying:

The thing is, you pay for 1mbps - So they bump people's speed as high as the line can support.

If you paid for 4mbps, then you have a right to expect that, but the service is "Up to 10mbps", so the lowest you will recieve is 1mbps, the highest being 10 - I have no problem knowing that they have no plans to upgrade me to 10mbps, since in all fairness, even a 512k line would be okay for 90% of my internet usage, the 4mbps just gets my tv series to my pc faster :p ( and on any well priced uncapped package, you will rarely get more than 1mbps anyway.. )

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
o.o

If you count up
1. MWEB - 751
2. Cell C - 146
3. Afrihost - 144
4. Telkom - 81
5. Vodacom - 68
6. SEACOM - 62
7. Neotel - 60
8. Axxess - 39
9. MTN - 36
10. Web Africa – 30
- everything except for mweb comes to 146+144+81+68+62+60+39+36+30
- = 666

rpm

Admin
Staff member
I was personally pleasantly surprised by the ‘accuracy’ of the results. All the companies which made a big difference (MWEB, Cell C, Afrihost) was well on top, and guys like Telkom, Axxess, WebAfrica which did some good things featured in the middle. I think the results give a good overview of what consumers feel…

goselito

Telkom? Who exactly are they? What do they do?

Oh, maybe it's that company ripping the end user off and showing ads that says differently...

optel

lol!

The Government is turning 'them' into fools because they don't even have anything technological on TV or even the Radio! Telkom just sends out a few flyers here and there and that's all a user is going to know. Mweb and the rest need to help by passing out flyers in the rural areas to at least tell the people what Telkom is doing to hold them back.

* Free The TV(including DsTV) and let users about Technology advancements in SA and General Africa. Please.

Well said.

optel

I'm sitting on a 10Mbps ADSL line... More than twice the speed I had a couple of months ago (which was not too shabby either). I think Telkom deserve credit where it's due.

Credit where it’s due. Yes from the few who had their lines upgraded before 2012.

Tick

Whooptedoo, you are paying ten times as much as people overseas to get a much worse product, only a miniscule number of people can get 10Mbps ADSL, and I can't even get an ADSL line in a major suburb of a major city because 'the ports are full' and Telkom aren't bothered to expand the footprint. "Deserve credit" .. puh-lease, how low are your standards exactly? South Africans need to look at the real world and wake the f-ck up already at just how backwards and behind we are and how much we're paying for breadcrumbs. I live in a large CT suburb and the only true broadband provider available here is the brand new Cell C ... just a few days old here. Before that I was forced to use Vodacom which is even more insanely expensive and was far, far slower, max 400Kbits/sec on a good day. People look at Telkom's "world class" advertising and are sadly so ignorant that they're fooled by it. Telkom's mainstream ADSL product -- where it's even available --- is 384Kbits people. Think about that, do some Googling on what's what in the rest of the world, and just slowly let the reality of that sink in. You're lauding a broadband provider that is touting 38KB/s as some kind of amazing world-class leading-edge broadband product for the masses, that they call "fast".

Last edited:

AirWolf

Honorary Master
o.o

If you count up
1. MWEB - 751
2. Cell C - 146
3. Afrihost - 144
4. Telkom - 81
5. Vodacom - 68
6. SEACOM - 62
7. Neotel - 60
8. Axxess - 39
9. MTN - 36
10. Web Africa – 30
- everything except for mweb comes to 146+144+81+68+62+60+39+36+30
- = 666

So the Devil voted for positions 2 to 10? :p

Tick

Soooooo, of the 48% who voted for CellC - how many actually use them?

I didn't vote in this, but I am using the new Cell C "4G-tiny-S" and it is working very well. I am getting much faster speeds than I did when I had 4MB ADSL. I suppose it'll slow down as more users pile on, but given the price, and given that Telkom won't even provision ADSL where I live now, I am very happy with it.

Icarium

Expert Member
Even if Cell-C stays as thier current speeds and pricing I'll consider dumping my Telkom line, the only reservation being my bias against gaming on unwired connections.

The article basically highlights two things.
1) It highlights how little variety and choice South African Consumers actually have.
2) It shows that very few companies are willing to embrace the future and what improvements they're willing to make are for no other reason than they are being dragged along rather than setting the pace.

Cell-C deserve whatever credit they get, although it's early days yet to see if they can deliver anything like what they're promising.
Mweb deserve credit for bringing uncapped to the local masses at an affordable price point. It may not be "true" uncapped, it may not bring us anywhere near par with international standards for ISP's, but compared to where we were before, kudo's.
Afrihost deserve an honourable mention here too. Thier ultra aggressive pricing went a long way to proving that internet access in this country does not need to be something only affordable in small doses or to the wealthy. Thier inability to compete in the uncapped market (as yet) shoudl not detract from what they did before.

Whomever makes decisions at Telkom has apparently never heard the old adage of "Build it and they will come", as thier circutuitous logic with regards to increasing availability and capacity would testify.

MightyMuffinMan

Expert Member
I'm still stuck on 512k. Hellkom isn't doing anything for us low-end users, who are forced to be so. 512k and 384k users make up the majority of ADSL users go the country. Telkom have done nothing for us, and don't deserve to be credited for the few thousand 10meg lines they've upgraded.. there are still hundreds of thousands who can't get upgraded, and probably never Will. Telkom is dying a slow painful death.

You get what you pay for. Not everyone can own a Kompressor, someone got to own the toyota tazz and golf.

Soooooo, of the 48% who voted for CellC - how many actually use them?

Me. Newly converted.

vzta22

“Which ISP, Individual, Organisation, Company or Operator do you think did the most to improve the state of telecoms and/or broadband in South Africa.”

I didn't vote/see the voting request, but I don't think it was right to clump individuals with organisations/operators. How can one choose between the individual that made a difference to a company and the company itself? There should be a seperate poll for individuals to see if this will reflect the votes given to the companies they work for.