South Africa’s broadband winners: The results are in

Kabal

Telkom bumping up only the rich, screwing the rest. If the 4 meg users got a free bump to 10meg at no extra cost correct? Then why cant the 384 go to 512 and the 512 to 1meg and 1 meg to 4 meg? But they did not and they wont , they can rot for all i care. Well done mweb.

inferno

Lol :p

I voted for Telkom because unlike all the other ISP's, they actually setup a network that can connect to my home. All the others did was moan about not being allowed to use telkoms local loop for free, instead of building their own local loop. Credit where its due.

MickeyD

RIP
According to the ASA which companies qualify as BROADBAND providers?

Jagtiger

Expert Member
I suggest, Neotel got to list due to their NeoBroadband offering for business.

elysian

The thing is, you pay for 1mbps - So they bump people's speed as high as the line can support.

If you paid for 4mbps, then you have a right to expect that, but the service is "Up to 10mbps", so the lowest you will recieve is 1mbps, the highest being 10 - I have no problem knowing that they have no plans to upgrade me to 10mbps, since in all fairness, even a 512k line would be okay for 90% of my internet usage, the 4mbps just gets my tv series to my pc faster :p ( and on any well priced uncapped package, you will rarely get more than 1mbps anyway.. )

Yeah, I know that, but if my line can't support more than 1Mbps (and I'm saying it's Telkom's "fault") then it's not quite fair. Being more fair would be to introduce another price option or give me discount. The speed brackets are narrow on the other packages, yet the top speed package is so wide (up to 10 times the speed). How about an up to 2 Mbps option?

Oh and BTW, I used to get over 2 Mbps speeds since the end of 2009 until a few months ago.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Congratulations for AfriHost, Mweb and CellC for going boldly into the unknown.

As for the rest I say :wtf: shape up, or ship out.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Lol :p

I voted for Telkom because unlike all the other ISP's, they actually setup a network that can connect to my home. All the others did was moan about not being allowed to use telkoms local loop for free, instead of building their own local loop. Credit where its due.

Huh? Your post does not make sense.

They still cannot build their own local loops, that's why they're moaning, and Telkom still got a monopoly.