South Africa’s data prices daylight robbery – Tbo Touch

akescpt

Honorary Master
Why just data? What about car prices? Electricity. We getting screwed across the board. Long as they making record profits and the shareholders are happy right?

Jola

Honorary Master
What is too much? R99 for 1GB mobile data too much?

Well, Vodacom charges R149 for 1GB mobile data on prepaid, that is too much.

And they charge R2000 per GB on postpaid OOB, that is way too much.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Well, Vodacom charges R149 for 1GB mobile data on prepaid, that is too much.

And they charge R2000 per GB on postpaid OOB, that is way too much.

Then don't use Vodacom, use Telkom...

I'm using Telkom for data, I would even if it was prepaid. And it can roam on MTN if required. Vodacom doesn't even get R99 out of me a month, only like R75, will soon drop to less than R25 when I get my dual sim phone.

Jola

Honorary Master
Then don't use Vodacom, use Telkom...

I'm using Telkom for data, I would even if it was prepaid. And it can roam on MTN if required. Vodacom doesn't even get R99 out of me a month, only like R75, will soon drop to less than R25 when I get my dual sim phone.

No Telkom reception, even though their coverage map indicates that I have Telkom LTE.

No MTN or Cell C either.

Only Vodacom LTE, and then only in one room in the house.

BTW this is in the middle of Joburg, equidistant between Sandton City, Rosebank Mall and Melrose Arch. Close to Wanderers.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
No Telkom reception, even though their coverage map indicates that I have Telkom LTE.

No MTN or Cell C either.

Only Vodacom LTE, and then only in one room in the house.

BTW this is in the middle of Joburg, equidistant between Sandton City, Rosebank Mall and Melrose Arch. Close to Wanderers.

So VC is charging more because they invested more so as to give the best coverage? :)

Jola

Honorary Master
So VC is charging more because they invested more so as to give the best coverage? :)

Yeah, that seems to be the case.

Their contract prices are better, just took out a 10GB Top Up for R299pm. Don't make voice calls, only VOIP (Skype, WhatsApp or real VOIP).

I don't do unlimited contract, terrified of the OOB, so the 10+10 is out of the question.

system32

Expert Member
What is too much? R99 for 1GB mobile data too much?
Yes it is when you consider the T&C associated with it.
24 month contract
R2/MB OOB
30 day expiry
etc

Why does data expire?
When I buy petrol for my car, it does not expire at the end of the month, and when I top up early, I don't get charged OOB rates. I'm not locked into a contract with a petrol provider - Shell today, BP nextweek.
Why should data be any different?

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Yes it is when you consider the T&C associated with it.
24 month contract
R2/MB OOB
30 day expiry
etc

Why does data expire?
When I buy petrol for my car, it does not expire at the end of the month, and when I top up early, I don't get charged OOB rates. I'm not locked into a contract with a petrol provider - Shell today, BP nextweek.
Why should data be any different?

But Telkom 1GB for R99 is not a contract... Oh, you are talking about Vodacom *spits*

I also don't agree with the 1 month expiry thing, I can life with expiring after 3 months though...