South Africa’s Grade 9 mathematics score: 10.8%

10.8% sounds a bit high to me. I thought it would have been lower.

This is the ANA yes... honestly it is because of CAPS whig sets hyge expectations suddenly when there was no prior knowledge. Now before I am accused of hypocrisy, I just want to point out that I agree with the standard of testing which is used and the questions are on par with what I would test with.

More money for people that actually have skills :D

Is there somewhere we can see the test?

edit: nvm, found it

No wonder these Grade 9's fail - in the practice (example) question, the very first thing in the paper, the answer is wrong, both B & C is 18, and is correct...

Why are people getting hysterical about this? There's no problem here, simply lower the pass rate or lower the standards to grade 7 level for matrics, it's not rockets science.

The way in which these questions are stated is weird. Firstly,
Decrease R1 250 in the ratio of 2 : 5.
Okay, I'm thinking simply split that R1250 into a ratio of 2:5. But its still sloppy language usage. Then,
Increase 280 in the ratio 5: 2.
Wtf does increase mean in this case? Do you still do a 5:2 split?

SrKRN2o.jpg

I'm guessing English isn't the home language of the person that set the paper? I got some decidedly afrikaans-ish English papers at varsity too. Thankfully they handed out dual lang papers (Eng/Afr) so one could always the Afr version to figure out wtf this Afrikaans china is trying to say. :D

View attachment 173147
I'm guessing English isn't the home language of the person that set the paper? I got some decidedly afrikaans-ish English papers at varsity too. Thankfully they handed out dual lang papers (Eng/Afr) so one could always the Afr version to figure out wtf this Afrikaans china is trying to say. :D

haha! I ended up going with the afrikaans because lectures were done in that medium in anycase :D

I can understand someone setting a paper in their second language and making the occasional grammatical error. But those very papers should be moderated thoroughly by others, especially for a test of this nature (gauging student performance prior to matric). This just underlines nelwa's point of earlier...

No wonder these Grade 9's fail - in the practice (example) question, the very first thing in the paper, the answer is wrong, both B & C is 18, and is correct...

The way in which these questions are stated is weird. Firstly,

Okay, I'm thinking simply split that R1250 into a ratio of 2:5. But its still sloppy language usage. Then,

Yeah, question one is stupid. As for the ratios, I think they're pretty straightforward. Decreasing R1250 by 2:5 gives you R750 and increasing R280 by 5:2 gives you R980. Why would you 'split' the number being increased or decreased up into a ratio?

As for the ratios, I think they're pretty straightforward. Decreasing R1250 by 2:5 gives you R750 and increasing R280 by 5:2 gives you R980.
Strikes me as very awkward phrasing...much like this part: "You have done correctly". :wtf: Yes I is having done good.

Besides...why the hell are they getting [-]basic fraction[/-] ratio questions in grade 9 anyway?

Back