South Africa’s Gwede Mantashe Backs Coal Amid Climate Talks

zolly

Expert Member
i'm guessing he owns shares in coal mining companies and/or companies that will be making "cleaner coal technology".

Mantashe has to back coal because there are many powerful BEE companies involved in the process, whether that's mining coal itself, or the trucks that ship coal to the mines. Basically, a lot of rich black people who likely fund the ANC, or basically are the ANC, are likely to lose out since they have invested so heavily in coal.

However, this could also be a case of "walking the dog". I.E. Saying "we support coal" but buying time to let the coal space implode on its own. This is what was used to scupper the massive nuclear deal that Zuma wanted in place. This way the ANC can go "oh we tried" even if they don't do anything, or can at very least lay the blame on outside factors.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Yeah, isn't going to happen.

Something something global warming.

Something something else - banks won't give loans for this now.

zolly

Expert Member
Mantashe has to back coal because there are many powerful BEE companies involved in the process, whether that's mining coal itself, or the trucks that ship coal to the mines. Basically, a lot of rich black people who likely fund the ANC, or basically are the ANC, are likely to lose out since they have invested so heavily in coal.

However, this could also be a case of "walking the dog". I.E. Saying "we support coal" but buying time to let the coal space implode on its own. This is what was used to scupper the massive nuclear deal that Zuma wanted in place. This way the ANC can go "oh we tried" even if they don't do anything, or can at very least lay the blame on outside factors.

Oh yes, and I completely forgot about the unions who have many members in the coal industry.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

Nah, with Uncle Gweezy its all about appeasing his supposed support base and legacy connections with mining.

He wants the coal plants built, since it looks like his retirement plan through Karpowership is not gonna happen.

SubtleBeast

Not for very much longer, Xi Jinping has stated they will stop financing coal plants abroad, and the Bank of China will implement the ban from Q4 for all new projects.

I hope Uncle Gweezy has deep pockets, because as it stands right now he will struggle to find a financier.
He already has one... the taxpayer

rietrot

Honorary Master
i'm guessing he owns shares in coal mining companies and/or companies that will be making "cleaner coal technology".
We don't have other options. We just build two new coal plants. They have no plans and no money for anything else.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Not for very much longer, Xi Jinping has stated they will stop financing coal plants abroad, and the Bank of China will implement the ban from Q4 for all new projects.
Ya, then we can get Chinese thorium molten-salt reactors instead.